Saturday, 3 June 2017

Bubble wrap

I would like to absorb Tommy in bubble wrap, secure him in protective armour, and be able to always monitor him, where ever I may be.
In theory this is a good idea, but in practice it just ain't possible.
Instead, I will forever strive my uttermost hardest to keep him safe. I hope I succeed in creating a loving environment, one where he feels content in his surroundings, excited by his discoveries, and optimistic with his future.
And I pray that for a long, long, time he does not hear or acknowledge the word, terrorism.
I recall watching Back to the Future, in 1985, at the tender age of twelve, and for first time ever I was introduced to that word.
Bewildered by its meaning, I asked my mother to enlighten me. After she had tried her best to explain, I still didn't totally get it. How lucky was I.
Fast forward to 2017 and that word is oh too familiar.
Devastatingly so in Manchester, almost two weeks ago, on Monday May 22nd. I awoke the next day to the appalling, sickening news, of another terrorist attack.
This time, targeting and destroying innocent and vulnerable children. And parents collecting their children from the pop concert of the teen idol, Ariana Grande.
As a decent human being (and mother), I can not begin to imagine or comprehend how another human being could inflict such devastation and pure evil.
After such harrowing news, I know the majority of Manchester, England, the world, hugged our loved ones tighter, appreciated our life more.
Because we have to remember for every messed up soul there are hundreds, thousands, millions of stronger, brighter, kinder, happier ones.
Always look for the good in people, the good in the world, I am a firm believer in this.
After the tragic consequences in Manchester two weeks ago, the local community flocked to offer free taxis, accommodation, food, love, support.
We have to keep remembering this, doing this, and concentrating on this.
Terrorists want hate and division. We must unite with love and compassion.
Peace and love to you all.

No comments: