Wednesday, 5 October 2016

When Animal Aid came to the village

When a large portion of the world strutted around in platform shoes, flared trousers and gigantic collars, Animal Aid was founded. The year was 1977.
It's now UK's largest animal rights group and one of the longest established in the world.
They campaign peacefully against all forms of animal abuse and promote cruelty-free living. They investigate and expose animal cruelty, and their undercover investigations and other evidence are often used by the media, bringing these issues to public attention.
It's an extremely worthy cause, wouldn't you agree.
Recently my home village raised money for Animal Aid. On the cricket green was a huge inflatable chicken slide, next to a stage of musicians, various stalls and rides. And the cricketer's clubhouse served food and drink.
Despite the sky threatening to rain all day (it didn't), myself, Mark, Tommy, friends and neighbours had a whole heap of fun.
I was too chicken to climb the chicken slide, but Mark, Tommy and my god daughter Faith were clucking to go on it. (Sorry about the bad jokes.) The inflatable house was a success, as was the merry-go-round and strongest man. All washed down with cider (but absolutely not for the kids), ice-creams and burgers (absolutely for the kids and adults). I even had a little jig about to the the bands (I blame that on the cider).
There were police dogs jumping on slides and running through tunnels and lots of cool animal stuff.
Erm, I actually forgot to take any picture of the animals, but the most important thing is, I bought a bunch of raffle tickets and enough cakes, with all proceeds to Animal Aid.
Every year I donate some money to charity, looks like Animal Aid are next in line.
Let's face it, anyone who can find a giant inflatable chicken and erect it opposite my house, gets my vote.*
*Not forgetting all the incredible work they do for animals.

Here it is...


The ice-cream van, popular with children and adults.


Tommy loved the mini police car.


Mummy loved the music.


The inflatable house was a big hit. Pity I was too big for it.


Spider-Man on his arm!


Showing Faith his Spider-Man arm.


Spider webbing us!


It was great to also spend some time with my friend.

No comments: