Wednesday, 11 May 2016

A whole new world

If you drove through my home village, you might be forgiven for dismissing it as a sleepy little dwelling, where nothing much happens.
Oh you may well admire the pretty cottages, picturesque duck pond, and charming cricket green, but really, secretly, you might be rather relived that you didn't live in such a place, as could it be slightly boring?
Yes you might write it off as one of those places where it would be fine to visit once in a while, but that's all.
I would like to say dear readers, please don't be so quick to judge, if that was indeed your reaction. Because things are not always as they first appear.
If you took your time to look closer, you will be surprised to see there is far more beyond the neat houses and hanging baskets.
There's a whole bunch of stuff just waiting to be discovered.
For instance, craft fairs in the village hall, with fresh produce from the local farm.
Quiz nights in the historic pub, the one which is advertising their outside bar and barbecues for the summer. Hurray for the summer! I must also mention the garden centre, where you can sip tea among the flowers or catch a coach to a well organised event.
The park adjacent to the school is so well hidden that I stumbled across it after living in our cottage for almost a year. It's a lovely tree-lined park, with a kids playground, and goal posts and basketball court for the sporty kind.
There's a brilliant interior design shop (most of my home and garden nick nacks are purchased from this place), which is next to the furniture shop and dog grooming parlour, handy if you need a bedside cabinet and your dog trimmed, at exactly the same time.
There's a village shop and post office for all your essentials. I've stopped here a fair few times for Tommy's chocolate eggs and mummy and daddy's white wine, plus some healthy items too.
The cricket green not only caters for teams playing cricket, they also welcome friends to their club house and often hold beer festivals and family fun days.
Tucked behind the neat houses are many footpaths and rambling fields, these provided me with much joy during my maternity leave, when Tommy slept a lot whilst I tried to walk off the pregnancy pounds. I'm still trying to walk off the pregnancy pounds almost three years later, yet I still smile when I remember those sunny, peaceful days.
There's even a footpath to the forest, and if you are patient you will soon see the river where kids mess around with boats, and the field where you can grab an ice-cream and fly a kite.
Let's not also forget the hairdressers and beauty salon I visit not often enough, and look forward to my chats with Theresa and Ashley and whoever else happens to visit that day.
For only last Saturday I was seated in the hairdressers, gulping my coffee (I was tired, I'm not used to sitting down and doing nothing) and discussing the May day fete. The park and village were in preparation and no-one (well all five of us in the salon) could believe that it actually wasn't raining.
"I'll be able to show off my new do, without it getting rained on, and enjoy the celebrations," said I.
Sleepy, boring village? Not us! You must be mistaking us for someone else.
Or you really should pay more attention next time you drive through. For there's a whole new world, just itching to be discovered.

The day of the May day fete.





















4 comments:

a writing place said...

You live in an idyllic English village!

The ones I read cozy English mysteries, to experience.

The ones I love IG and places like your blog, to experience for myself.

Almost too idyllic to believe... But I do believe they exist. They have to... :-)

Tessa,
who is off with the faeries

The World According To Me said...

Have you ever watched Midsummer Murders? They're set in quaint, English villages. Sometimes, when I walk across the cricket green, past the cottages and grand houses along the quiet lane, leading to the county pub, I half expect a man in a tweed suit to stumble out the wooden door. He callapses on the pavement, next to the rose bush, and his wife (lady of the manor), dressed in a long flowing outfit, edged with lace and beads, screams at a man riding a bicycle, "He's been poisoned!"
Or maybe that's just my over active imagination.

Amel said...

Awesome weather and gorgeous photos. Ahhhhhh...

Reading your imaginative scene made me chuckle, but if that should happen, it would be quite an experience. :-D

The World According To Me said...

Oh yes Amel, it actually didn't rain at the May day fete!
Glad my scene made you chuckle. I love that word chuckle. Must use it more!