Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Giant roast puddings

I got a sore throat for Mother's Day. And a cough. And a headache. And a cold.
I went to bed the night before in reasonably good health. Then...bing! I woke up feeling poorly.
Don't you hate it when that happens?
Children, especially two year olds, do not understand ill mothers. So I soldered on. What a trooper I am. I even made scrambled eggs for breakfast and played fire engines with my two year old.
Opening his two cards softened the blow and put a smile back on my face. One was homemade from nursery, my first homemade card, an imprint of his hand, guaranteed to be cherished forever. The second was covered with photographs of the two of us, courtesy of daddy, again, to be forever cherished.
After breakfast and playtime, I tried to coax my son into the bath for about an hour. Then tried to get him to stay in bath long enough for a hair wash and bits wash, so we could get ready for our day. Before knocking back a Lemsip and half a packet of throat sweets (me, not Tommy, he had milk and grapes).
Have I not mentioned Tommy now has fan phobia? This is a bit tricky as we have a fan over the bath, which makes a noise when the light is turned on. We have no window in the bathroom, so even during the day this fan and noise is essential, if you don't wish to bump into things and wash in darkness. After two years of loving the bath, he was playing with the bubbles one day, then looked up and decided he was scared of the round thing on the ceiling which was making a funny noise.
We've tried explaining it doesn't do anything, we've tried telling him it's nothing to be scared of, we've tried everything. We've even tried bathing in the dark, well we have the door open with a lamp by the door, it's kind of dark. Mother's Day was actually a success, he managed to stay in the bath for about two minutes before becoming hysterical. There's always something, isn't there?
First it was a shoe phobia, next it was the hoover, now it's the fan above the bath.
Anyway, fed, washed (enough) and dressed, we drove to Mark's mum's memorial garden with pink plant. Tommy saw a stone book and tried to pick it up to read, then he pointed at a gnome ornament and shouted, "Noddy!" He doesn't really understand memorial gardens, which is just as well really.
After paying our respects, we drove to my parents, with presents and cards for my mum, then to a village pub for a Sunday roast.
The pub was set in a pretty village that Mark and I often drive through and admire. Well, we decided to stop admiring and start visiting. So Mother's Day was hopefully our first of many lunches in this delightful place.
If only Tommy had sat in his high chair, as per all previous lunches. I guess we've had a lucky run up until now. He categorically would not sit in high chair and play with his cars and sticker book. He was having none of it and I was too below par to argue.
Therefore, Mark and I took it in turns to eat and walk him round the pub. Not ideal I know. My germ filled body couldn't face a fight or tantrum. I figured, so what if today we let him sit on our laps and explore the pub? He's usually very well behaved in public and at home, and I didn't want to spoil the day by stressing about it or causing a scene.
Okay, I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope other mums were too busy with their lunch to look at me and judge. To some people it may have looked like I was letting him get his own way and not setting boundaries. I was ready for confrontation should anyone dare say anything to me!
They didn't. Probably too preoccupied with their food or smug in the fact their kids had impeccable table etiquette.
Luckily, the little lamb kebabs, roast beef with giant roast pudding, and chocolate brownie and ice-cream were delicious. I even forgot how lousy I felt, whilst devouring lunch, whilst Mark was walking around the pub with Tommy.
Happy Mother's Day to me! And to you mums, and for your mums, and remembering mums who sadly are no longer with us.

The hand print card, proudly displayed.


My card, featuring the two of us.


Wrapping my mum's present. I love it when my wrapping paper, coat hangers and toiletry bag match, don't you?


Love these material photo albums, purchased online for my mum.


Every year my mum digs out all the Mother's Day cards I've made her. Yes it looks like she has loads of kids.


Country garden flowers from local shop, for my mum.


The pub in the charming village.


The giant roast pudding.


Delicious.


Tommy looking at the ducks.

7 comments:

a writing place said...

Glad you had such a delicious dinner, even tho feeling rotten. :-)

Amel said...

You're one awesome daughter and an awesome mother! The fingerprint and photo Mark made you looked gorgeous, and I enjoy your photos as usual. :-) Happy belated Mother's Day to you.

I remember a neighbour's kid who used to be totally scared of one of my plushies. She'd play with all the other plushies except for that one. Not sure what was about that one that scared her so much.

A Joyful Cottage said...

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but Tommy is absolutely adorable. His handprint card is so sweet. Just one card of many more sure to come to such a great mother as you. Love the respect and admiration you show for your own mum. Lovely. I hope you're feeling better now. Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave your comments. I appreciate that. xo

The World According To Me said...

It was delicious thanks, a writing place. So nice not to have to cook as well!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Amel, that's a lovely thing to say.
What's a plushie?

The World According To Me said...

Feeling much better thank you a joyful cottage. Thanks for your nice comments.

Amel said...

Oh, I meant a stuffed animal. :-)