Friday, 5 February 2016

In memory of Great Uncle Ivor

Oh January, you never fail to disappoint me.
I'm sorry if I sound unkind, and I've always sympathised that it's a tough job following the month of Christmas, but still, couldn't you give us a break? Just for one year?
You've brought severe flooding, bitter coldness, illness, and death.
Their families and the world have mourned David Bowie, Terry Wogan, and on a more personal note, Great Uncle Ivor.
Dear Great Uncle Ivor, with his sunny nature and smiling face. January 2016 was his time to leave us. We all wanted him to stay for longer. My mum will certainly miss his weekly phone calls and friendly voice.
January, I've tried not to take all this personally, but hearing my mum in tears and seeing my little boy ill are not something easily forgiven.
It's been a month full of germs and sleepless nights. Sweaty bodies and worried faces. Calpol and nutrition drinks. Tommy was doing so well at nursery, alas due to a long absence, I feel I will have to settle him in all over again.
And don't even get me started on the weight I've gained and the pounds I've spent! Of course you could blame December for this. The month of Christmas is divine. Yet does it have to be so expensive and fattening?!
All this has resulted in a blue January, I'm afraid to say. Until hubby and I decided we needed something to focus on, something to look forward to. We booked our summer holiday!
That's right, we're off to Cornwall again in the glorious month of July. With father-in-law, brother and sister-in-law and nephew. It's a delightful holiday home near the seaside.
Which nudged my memory - because I couldn't find my camera cable for simply ages, I have not posted last year's scenes yet.
So here they are.


Hello again Cornwall.


We spent a lot of time on the beach.













Tommy drove an ice-cream van.


And a spaceship.


And we went to the zoo. "Stay there, Mr Dragon."


Waiting for the monkeys.


We also sat on nanny's bench. See you next year, or should I say July. Yippee.

6 comments:

A Joyful Cottage said...

I'm very sorry about your loss. Planning a vacation so you have something to look forward to is a brilliant idea. Cornwall seems so charming. Isn't Cornwall where Doc Martin was filmed? Love that show and the little village. I hope your little guy is doing better and that the upcoming week brings some joy your way. Best regards, Nancy

The World According To Me said...

Thanks, A Joyful Cottage.
Love Cornwall, loved your latest post with the Cornwall cottage. And yes you are correct, Doc Martin was filmed there. We visited the real life village a couple of years back (I think) I have pictures somewhere on my blog!

Amel said...

So sorry about your loss, Nikki. The relationship between your mom and your great uncle reminded me of the relationship between my mom and my dad's youngest brother.

Sorry to hear about the germ-filled month, too. I hope Tommy settles in quickly. And YAAAAAAAAYYYY for some good news about the holiday! Something lovely to look forward to! :-)

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel.

Thanks for your comments. God bless Great Uncle Ivor.

A holiday always does the trick, so does booking one.

a writing place said...

Sorry for your personal loss, and all the "uckiness" of January.

But now you have a lovely holiday, to look forward to! :-)

Gentle hugs,
Tessa

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Tessa. Nice photograph of yourself by the way.
Three cheers for holidays!