Saturday, 5 December 2015

No, that's Robert Wagner

My mum, for many years, has had a bucket list. It's not a long list and it goes something like this:
1. Crawl in a real pyramid.
2. Visit Elvis Presley's home, Graceland.
3. Meet Robert Wagner.
What was that? "Who's Robert Wagner?" did I hear you say?
Yes you may well wonder who this person is. Let me clarify that he was the man in Hart to Hart. A popular American drama way back in the 1980's and my mother had an almighty crush on him.
Therefore, he featured in my mum's bucket list. A list which I'm guessing a few of you may have composed yourselves? Perhaps you have always wanted to jump out of an aeroplane eating a jam sandwich? Or climb a mountain dressed as a canary? Or maybe you have a crush of your own and would love to gaze into the eyes of your obsession?
My mum has often said, it would probably be easier to hop on an aeroplane and visit Egypt and America, than it would be to hunt down Robert Wagner and expect him to notice her. She used to sigh and imagine it would be a mere fantasy.
Well, as you know dear readers, this thing called 'life' can move in mysterious ways.
My mum met Rob a good few years back, he was the first item she ticked off her bucket list.
One day she was reading a local newspaper and discovered he was starring in a play, at local theatre.
She could hardly contain her excitement. Immediately she telephoned her sister, who mimicked her crush, and together they happily arranged to see play, booked front row seats, and decided to hunt him down after play.
And they did, hunt him down I mean.
That night, I clearly remember I was at my cousin's house, and we patiently waited for our mums to return home. Finally they appeared, like love struck teenagers, grinning like loonies. They were clutching his signed photograph, and my mum kept repeating, in a dreamlike fashion, "He said to me, "Is that Anne with an e?" as I gazed into his ears!"
She also took his photograph, which is still proudly perched on her kitchen dresser. Over the years, friends have commented, "Is that your dad? Or, "Is that your dad when he was younger?" I have always replied, "No, that's Robert Wagner." Which has always been followed by a puzzled look.
A few years later my mum booked a trip to Egypt with her sister and best friend, where she bravely and triumphantly crawled in a pyramid.
Next stop, Graceland, USA. Except now my mum has no desire to ever board an areoplane again. Funnily enough, the most likely item from her bucket list became the least likely.
Until my cousin booked tickets to Graceland for her birthday treat. And myself, my cousin and aunt joined her.
Graceland at the O2, London. His exhibition came to London and we were there.

The exhibition centre.


His story began.


Elvis Presley grew up in this house.


His actual school crayons he actually wrote his name on several times.


His first record, it's all right. Recorded for his mum.


His army shirt.


His shoes. I can confirm he had massive feet.


He drove this.


And rode this.


His Las Vegas suits.



Here it is folks, Graceland.


Welcome to his world.


He must have watched telly in this room.


Ate in this room.


Maybe cooked a microwave meal in this room.


Definitely slept in this room.


And used this telephone by his bed.


The exhibition was crammed with memorabilia and facts and songs. It was fascinating.
And at the end of the tour we went into a room and watched snippets from his concerts, I think we all fell a little bit in love with him. What a guy, what a talent.

Oh and I think my mum needs a new bucket list.

3 comments:

a writing place said...

-grin- I happen to be old enough (78) to remember "Hart To Hart" and Robert Wagner. :-) And I too, was a fan of his. So I can appreciate your mum's excitement, at meeting him.

I didn't meet him, but did see him, do "Love Letters"... Now I can't remember if he did it with his wife, or with Stephanie Powers (Who played the part of "Mrs. Hart").

Oh and, does your mum know, that he often makes guest appearances, on "NCIS" tv program? He plays the father of one of the main characters. Don't know if you get "NCIS" in your country... Or if you have a version of NetFlix, where you can rent older programs.

But I'll bet she would enjoy seeing him, again. Still dapper. Still acting. Still having fun, with acting. :-)

Tessa
(upper NE of US)

The World According To Me said...

Hi Tessa

That was the play, love letters! And yes it was Stephanie Powers as well, his wife in Hart to Hart. She spotted my mum trying to make her way through the crowd and that end and called her over. My mum said she was lovely and wore the most beautiful perfume.
I'll look out for that show, not sure if we have it here or not. Thanks for the tip.

A Joyful Cottage said...

I absolutely loved this post! What a great story and how amazing that your mum met Robert Wagner in such a way. I mean, who would have thought? Her bucket list is no small achievement. I'm impressed.