Saturday, 3 October 2015

You had the power all along, my dear - Glinda, the good witch

My comfort zone is the place I feel the most confident and at ease with. It is my comfort zone, after all.
Yet sometimes in life, I have to remind myself, if I cautiously step outside this zone, potentially great things could occur.
Yes it's often tempting to take the easy route, especially as I find drastic change daunting, and I'm very happy, thank you, when life is simple.
But if you don't take a few chances in life, how will you ever reap the rewards?
That's what I've decided, dear readers. I have to take one of my few chances, and for my trouble, I sincerely hope to gain.
It has actually taken me seven days to reach my most recent decision.
It's a big 'un.
In a world where my most common questions are; shall we have fish cakes or chicken stir fry for dinner? Shall we go to Sainsburys before or after Tommy's nap?
So I am a little out of touch when faced with anything larger than my mobile phone bill or my weekly shopping list.
Therefore, I have not taken this decision lightly, I have discussed, dissected and dreamed my dilemma.
It is time for me to make myself clearer; I am applying for the role of Production Manager, at my current company.
Some might think this would be an easy conclusion; more money, more responsibility, more recognition.
Of course it is all these things. Plus; more commitment, more meetings, more time in the office, more stress. Which is exactly what I was trying to avoid!
I'll admit, when my manager, the current Production Manager, approached me about the position, my heart sank. Because I realised, before Tommy I would have jumped at the chance. Now, with Tommy, he's my priority, not promotion. The plan was to cut back my hours/days/tasks, not gain!
You see, that's exactly what unnerved me, I had it all planned out, this wasn't supposed to happen!
But it did. And I decided I should be positive that my boss was encouraging me, the salary would be beneficial, we could then afford to place Tommy in nursery three mornings a week, to ease my mum and my commitments. (We have a date in the diary next Wednesday, to view a recommended nursery, and don't even get me started on all the changes this involves!)
Plus, maybe, I would like to think, I have to stop being scared and believe I am good enough to be a Production Manager, just as Glinda the good witch quoted; "You had the power all along, my dear."
Let's hope so.
Wish me luck.
Interview with scary presentation coming soon.



2 comments:

Amel said...

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH how exciting, Nikki! Understand completely why your heart sank at first. I don't like going out of my comfort zone, either, but yeah, it can be rewarding he he...so I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you! ALL THE BEST!!!!! Let us know how it goes!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Amel. My interview is next Wednesday, dead nervous already.