Thursday, 15 October 2015

For people who like cake

I was sitting on my cousin Sarah's sofa, eating my auntie Helen's chocolate cake, when my auntie Leslie approached me and said, "You like cake, don't you?"
I nodded enthusiastically. (I had a mouthful of sponge, and considered it rude to open my mouth and spill its contents, by attempting to speak.)
She was dead right though. I do like cake. I like eating it, baking it, and watching other people bake it on the aptly named, The Great British Bake Off.
It was my cousin Sarah's birthday tea, and not wishing to break tradition, we had all gathered at her house for nibbles and cake.
After the liking cake comment, my auntie Leslie handed me two, free, tickets to The Cake And Bake Show, at London, Docklands. I smiled my biggest smile and thanked her. (The sponge had been swallowed by then, you will be pleased to know.)
You see, my cousin Jack's girlfriend works for a conference company and one of the perks for her dedication and professionalism, is free tickets to events. How thoughtful of her, in this instance, to provide entrance for myself, my cousin, my cousin's daughter, my two aunts, and my mum.
We were all going to London to eat cake!
On the day of the big occasion, I wore comfy shoes, loose clothes, and carried plenty of cash in my purse. I wasn't quite sure what to expect at such an outing, but it really was heaven in a conference centre.
It had lots of stalls handing out free and yummy samples of cake, cheese, pizza and vodka, to be enjoyed with family. In my eyes, that is an act of heaven!
It also boasted stalls demonstrating fancy gadgets for the kitchen (I bought a silver power whisk), stalls selling shabby chic items for the home (my mum bought me a gorgeous vintage looking chalkboard), stalls featuring antique teapots etc (I bought my mum a huge silver spoon) and lots, lots more.
We even all sat down for a family catch up, with coffee and cupcakes. It really was bliss at a table.
Here's a few of my memories from the day.

There were quite a lot of steps to climb, until we reached our destination. Rather like I imagine heaven to be, ha, ha.


Inside. One of the many pretty displays.


The official show cake. I would be proud of this creation.


I was rather taken with this ornate offering.


Loved the rustic charm of this stall.


All things considered, it was a very successful day. Without a hint of calorie awareness.
My kind of day indeed.

2 comments:

Amel said...

Oh, gosh, how lucky of you all to be able to go there. That'd be my kind of day as well, and I'd be frantic because I'd want to taste every single one LOL!!!

The World According To Me said...

Ha ha, I'm just imagining you frantically running around trying to try every cake!