Friday, 25 September 2015

The Mermaid Inn

In the middle of a medieval haven, on a sloping, cobbled street, sits The Mermaid Inn.
Full of stories of long ago smugglers and ghostly visits, with secret passageways, and cellars dating back to the 1100's, stepping into this magnificent building is indeed like stepping back in time.
Why not enjoy a drink in the Giant's Fireplace Bar, relax in one of the lounges, or dine in the Linen Fold Restaurant.
Or maybe you would rather drift along the creaking, slanting corridors, admiring pictures of old Kings and Queens of England.
But don't forget to keep one eye open for the ghosts!

The Mermaid Inn was also the chosen place for myself, Mark, and Tommy, to spend our third wedding anniversary.


Come inside, and I'll show you around.


The corridor of kings and queens.


The wall of fame. I would just like to say Johnny Depp and I have walked the same path.


One of the lounges.


Tommy playing with his car. Whoops, then I scolded him for standing on the old furniture!


We had lunch and drinks in the Giant's Fireplace Bar.


The Linen Fold Restaurant. We sampled the most delicious breakfast, the next morning of our stay.


Our impressive room for the night. Notice Tommy posing at the end of our bed.


The bathroom. Wish I could have taken it home with me!


After our lunch and tour of the hotel, we browsed the quaint shops of Rye. There were art galleries.


Curiosity shops.


Ye olde sweet shops.


Naughty but nice tea rooms.


Aptly named 'Cobbles'.


A tiny book store. For tiny people or tiny books? You decide.



We were also surrounded by charming buildings.



Here's Jeakes House, situated on Mermaid Street, opposite the Mermaid Inn. I stayed here with my mum, dad and nan when I was about eight years old. It was my first introduction to Rye and it made such a romantic impression, that I was already envisioning a trip back with my future family.


In the evening, after lounging around in our room, and playing with Tommy and his fire engine, we ventured to the child friendly Italian restaurant.



Simply Italian! For a reference point, it stands near the Heritage Centre, with 'Light Show Model Village' and museum. Tommy wasn't sure about the 'Light Show Model Village' and to be fair, as interesting as it was, it was a little creepy.


I'm forever grateful to child friendly restaurants and colouring pens.


After our pizzas, we strolled back to the Mermaid Inn. Here's Tommy again, before he fell asleep and let mummy and daddy drink wine, in an extremely happy and content manner, and watch the X Factor on the big screen. Night, night.



3 comments:

Amel said...

Ohhhh...you make me miss London for some reason as there aren't any brick houses here he he he he...and you make me miss going to cafes there, too! LOL!!!

What a lovely place to stay and stroll around! Thanks for the tour, Nikki!

The World According To Me said...

Funny how I take things for granted, like brick houses and cafes. But never take for granted pretty brick houses and pretty cafes!
Glad you enjoyed the stroll around, we don't often do much as a couple these days, so it was much needed and appreciated.

a writing place said...

Oh what a wonderful place, to visit and to stay...

Gentle hugs,
From across the pond...