Saturday, 25 July 2015

As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to begin

I've been thinking about inspiration.
Who and what inspires me. And why.
In the beginning, there was my mum. My first inspiration. She still is, will always be. Because her kindness still shines through.
Lots of other people inspire me and for lots of different reasons.
For instance: My dad's wisdom, my husband's patience, my friend's parenting... The list is endless.
I think it's important to be continually inspired. We can learn from others. We can be humble to their strengths, forgive them for their weaknesses. Isn't it all about trying to be a better person?
It could be all too easy to envy success, but surely it's healthier to appreciate and seek inspiration?
I can still remember teachers and bosses who have made an impact in my life. People I have looked up to and aspired to be like. I like to think I have gained knowledge from them and learnt valuable lessons from them.
My English teacher still rings in my ears, "You know what you want to say, but you are struggling to find the words to say it? Well that's what English is all about."
I often think of her when I am faced with this scenario.
And the cool headed boss who once managed me - if faced with stressful situations in the working environment, and swift decision making is a priority, I think to myself, what would Michelle have said or done now?
But it's not just people who have this ability.
Words and pictures can also be very powerful.
Recently I have been spending a fair amount of time on Instagram, admiring images of wild flowers in meadows, blue sky and white sand on beautiful beaches. Of course I am inspired by the photography skills, verses the wonder of nature.
They instantly strive in me, the want to be a more creative photographer, and a keener observer.
I'm also a sucker for a good quote. Wise words which make you stop and ponder about this curious life.
Instagram is full of them, which isn't such a bad thing. I've been known to post my own quotes too, spreading the word.
And how could you not be inspired by books? My life without books would indeed be a very dark place. I love to loose myself in mysteries and characters.
Currently I am reading Agatha Christie's At Bertram's Hotel. I'm a huge fan of the detective series on the television screen, and upon my most recent visit to a book shop, I spotted this book and remembered that I had promised myself I would read one of the classic's from this famous author.
So I am.
It's also inspiration for my novel, coincidently set in the 1950's, and all background expertise of this era and this honourable writer, who is placed third in the rankings of the world's most widely published books (Shakespeare and the Bible are first and second).
Now that's inspirational!
I shall leave you with some of my favourite quotes, on pretty images.
I hope they inspire you too.






3 comments:

Amel said...

It's amazing and uncanny how some things are sometimes. I was just talking to a group of friends about Agatha Christie and how I used to love reading her novels (I didn't read all of them due to money restraint and my love of Japanese manga - my pocket money went to buying lots of manga). But anyway, I was so impressed by her stories and how I NEVER managed to find out the culprit that back in my teenage years, I thought Agatha would be a good name for a daughter in the future he he he he he...

And I agree totally on finding inspirations. I also want to keep the zest of life burning inside of me - that feeling of being inspired is one of them. :-) I've definitely been inspired by your writing and your photos, Nikki. You're an artistic person and I've told you that I love your writing style (still do). :-)

Amel said...

Oh, forgot to say, I'm a sucker for quotes, too he he...

The World According To Me said...

So you're an Agatha Christie fan too? Snap! I love loosing myself in her world.

Thank you for saying that about my writing and photos, it means a lot to me. Your blog; your language skills, story telling, ideas, and stunning photographs, are inspirational too.