Tuesday, 31 March 2015

What a good job

Sometimes, I gaze out of a train window and imagine living someone else's life.
Not because I'm unhappy with mine. Far from it. I realise it's not the most glamorous or exciting life in the world, but it's all mine. And I kinda like it.
The fantasising is merely due to other people's job functions.
For example, did you know someone is employed at Barts Pathology Museum to look after 5,000 specimens? Basically, they are surrounded by and look after body parts all day long. That one really got me thinking. How creepy would you find that? Personally, it wouldn't be my ideal job.
Every week I read Stylist magazine, and every week I read the Work Life page and I'm fascinated by other people's occupations.
A fairly recent entry was a Fashion Curator, who visits designer's French chateau's, and scours castles to look at family photographs. Not a bad life, compared to little old me who visits an office every working day, which overlooks KFC in a car park.
Of course it doesn't always do to compare our lives to others. As the Fashion Curator stated, her job is not all it's cracked up to be - she once spent a month inputting shoe details into a spreadsheet in a chilly Paris basement. See, even super cool human beings have to do mundane tasks.
But I do enjoy reading about other people's lives, in particular the strange and unusual ones. Job titles which take me on entertaining journeys, days which are filled with incredible things. Which often leads to that ancient question, what would your dream job consist of?
I frequently ask people this question, and I've been met with a variety of answers. Only the other day, whilst lunching with a friend, I couldn't resist propositioning him with this thought.
"A monkey trainer," said he. "Or working in an orphanage for Orangutans."
Well, it would certainly be different from his current occupation in advertising. Perhaps that's the attraction? Pure escapism. Either that or his love for hairy animals.
As for me, I think you could probably accurately guess it. Have you got it yet? George Michael's PA. What else would it be?!
Or an artistic photographer. Or a talented writer.
Or a publishing company for magazines. Oh hang on, silly me, I do work for a publishing company for magazines. Funnily enough, when I was growing up, this did feature on my wish list. Okay, it's not flashy consumer magazines, and I don't circulate at posh media parties (although it has been known in the past, just the odd one, now and then), but neither do I really want to work for flash mags and attend parties.
I’m perfectly happy with my technology magazine and I’ve now progressed to academic books. I don’t really understand the books but I’m finding the new challenge interesting.
I work with nice people, some a trifle odd, but harmless enough. We used to receive a free lunch, but now we pay a £1 for three courses, which is incredibly good value when you think about it.
So you see, life isn’t so bad after all.
However, should you hear through the grapevine that George Michael is searching for a new PA, don’t forget to mention my name.
Many thanks!

1 comment:

Amel said...

He he he he he...this post makes me smile. :-) I think daydreaming is a good thing and we do need escapism to relax and have some balance in life. I think it's super cool that you've got one of your dream jobs. Who knows what else you can achieve in the rest of your lifetime? The writer thing is an ongoing project anyway, so here's to birthing a book! :-D