Saturday, 16 August 2014

My speedboat adventure

Wow, it's not every day you get to whiz along the River Thames in a speedboat.
It was my friend Laura's 40th birthday celebration. We met for lunch and then sped past the London sights.

To start with. A selection of bread with dips.


For the main. Chicken with crushed new potatoes, green veg and a blue cheese filled thing (can't remember the name of the thing).


The beginning of the boat trip.


This is not an exaggeration. I have never screamed so loud and held on so tight.


The London Eye. A mere 135 metres tall, Europe's tallest Ferris wheel, London's highest viewing point.


Tower Bridge. Built in 1886-1894. Popular legend, in 1968 Robert McCulloch bought London Bridge thinking it was Tower Bridge. Mistaken identity, oops.


Millennium Bridge. Opened 10th June 2000, but had to be closed after two days for two years, due to wobbling.


Palace of Westminster. Built Middle Ages, demolished 1834 due to fire, rebuilt 1840-70. It's the meeting place for the House of Commons and the House of Lords.


By the way, I looked all this information up online. It was an historical tour, but we were all so busy screaming after the speed restriction that I think all knowledge escaped from my brain cell, out via my mouth, and into the murky water.

But hey, it reminded me how much I love London. And how glad I am that I met my friend Laura, at that airport, twenty one years ago.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Thanks for the tour! I just happened along and caught up. I love London, but have yet to see it. Thanks for letting me see it through your eyes.

Amel said...

The first time I saw London Eye online, I was really intrigued. I love looking at the world from a bird's POV he he...That wobbly thing reminds me of an article I read the other day about the bridge in Paris (if I remember correctly) that is being weighed down by too many love locks, so these days they encourage people to just take a selfie without putting any more love locks along the bridge.

Anyway, what a fun way to celebrate your friend's birthday. You sure have very fun friends! :-D

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jeff and welcome to FPE. Thanks for commenting.
I'm a huge fan of London, the history, the culture, the Royals, the entertainment. Hope you get to visit one day.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

I know what you mean, it's good to take on a new perspective.
I've not heard of that bridge but I'm intrigued now.