Saturday, 5 October 2013

The cupcake calm before the baby storm.

The alarm clock struck and hubby groaned.
"Ten minutes longer," he mumbled as he switched it off and turned over to snooze.
I couldn't help smiling to myself. Ten extra minutes did not apply to me. I was entitled to all the snoozing in the world.
Because I am now a housewife, dear readers.
I'm not a mother at this precise moment, as baby T is yet to make an appearance.
But I am no longer a career woman.
My maternity leave has commenced and I'm rather enjoying the calm before the baby storm.
It was strange at first, waking up as a lady of leisure and wondering how to fill my time. For the past 24 years I've worked in the publishing industry (apart from the odd bout of redundancy) and it was hard to switch off.
I couldn't help thinking about the office I'd left behind, the press days, the schedules, the banter with colleagues. Each time I glanced at my mobile phone or the clock in the kitchen, I was imagining my desk and the tasks I would be performing.
I guess it was only to be expected in the beginning, when you've said goodbye to people and a job you actually care about.
However, it did not take too long for me to adjust.
Especially when invites flooded in for lunch dates and shopping trips.
So far I've entertained friends in the lounge with cheese and broccoli quiches and vanilla cupcakes.
I've sampled hot chocolates and marshmallow cakes at my local high street with mother.
I've sat in a camper van in a Mexican restaurant, celebrating a friend's birthday.
I've browsed in shops, and laughed at the shop keepers reactions when they've seen the size of me and commented, "Goodness, you can't have much longer to go!"
I've visited the hairdressers for a much needed cut and colour.
I've also attended midwife and doctor's appointments.
And I've shopped on-line and purchased a 'baby on board' furry snail and blue and white baby clothes.
Oh I've also done some housework.
So now it's the waiting game until baby T decides he's ready to join the outside world.
And that, dear readers, will be the next, much anticipated, humongous change in my life.
Until then, I'm going to bake more cupcakes and pop to the pub over the road for my next lunch date.

2 comments:

Amel said...

ENJOY, ENJOY, and ENJOYYYYYYY...can't believe how time flies!!!! :-D

The World According To Me said...

I know Amel, can hardly believe it myself, he will actually be here soon!