Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Man verses woman

I have interviewed and employed my maternity cover. And he’s a man.
I mention this fact because, my once female dominated working environment is gradually being over taken by men.
It has been noticed and remarked upon. Only yesterday lunchtime a male colleague, in between munching his chips in the staff canteen, said to me, “As you’re the only girl at the table can we talk about pen knives and Star Wars instead of make-up and shoes?”
“When do I ever talk about make-up and shoes?” was my puzzled reply, after taking a gulp of my spicy tomato soup.
Yes I may be female and wear make-up, but I’ve never considered cosmetics particularly exciting. If I’m reading a magazine I’ll often skip the pages containing the new season lipstick colours and one hundred different ways to wear blue eye shadow. Plus I have the most sensitive feet in the world, therefore I hate buying new shoes as I associate new foot wear with blistered toes, bleeding heels and aching arches.
I guess this was just a general reference to girly stuff, but it did make me question whether I could be placed in the she’s-so-girly category?
And for the record, pen knives don’t float my boat either, but I do like Star Wars. Star Wars films are classics from my childhood, not forgetting the modern day version. Ewoks, from a galaxy far, far away, are also very cute. Although I don’t suppose you’d catch a man admitting his fondness for these furry animals? He’d more likely comment that Darth Vader was the ultimate baddie, or he wished he had a lightsabre to fight battles with.
Hmm, now it’s my turn to gender define. I suppose we can all be guilty of this, and not wishing to sound sexist or politically incorrect, but we are different.
There are female and male hormones, sometimes they meet in the middle and over-lap, but generally I think we can be separated due to our genes.
Is this such a terrible statement to make? I’m all for equal rights but sometimes we have to admit, we are built differently and this could mean men and women behave differently.
I was even more aware of this when I waddled into the office the very next day and asked my female colleague if she’d watched The Great British Bake Off the night before.
“Those trifles were amazing," was her reply, as we discussed ginger cake bases and coconut toppings. Whilst commenting on oven temperatures, I couldn’t help noticing my male maternity cover was rolling his eyes, after scanning his computer screen for the cricket results.
Of course men can bake as well, and there are many expert bakers on TGBBO, but it’s not every man’s dream. Hubby and I usually like watching cookery programmes together, but there’s something about baking which does not appeal to him whatsoever. When I settled down to view trifles and meringues, he opened his tool box and disappeared upstairs to screw together the nursery wardrobe, much to my delight.
I noted that watching this series was an excellent way to encourage him to leave the room and participate in DIY!
Maybe this gender difference isn’t such a bad thing either.
Definitely not in our house anyway, on a Tuesday evening in September.

4 comments:

Amel said...

Ohhhh...my workplace is very female dominated. Occasionally we had one male coworker but they never lasted for some reason ha ha...except our area manager, which is always a man (in the south, though, there are female area managers). Anyway, it was funny when we had a night out with another branch, he was the only male there, but I guess he's used to it ha ha...

I LOVE the cute ewoks...I also LOVE Chewbacca (also love the noises he makes when he "talks") hi hi...:-D Tall and very furry LOL LOL!!!!

Kate said...

Any man who rolls his eyes when I am yapping about cooking may not get to do any of the eating.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

I guess some men would love to work with all women!
Chewbacca was also a great character, with a very unusual way of talking!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate, agreed! Oven temperature is very important to the finished peice!