Saturday, 11 February 2012

The 2013 diary

The thing with working for a publishing company is you're always planning ahead.
It's only the second month in 2012 and yet I'm compiling documents to produce the company 2013 diary. Can you believe this? It's only February 2012 and I'm thinking about 2013 already. I'm organising schedules and flat plans and working towards an August print date, a September delivery deadline, and an October magazine containing our free to members and colleagues 2013 diary.
But hang on a minute, wasn't it only 2011 a month and a bit ago? Yes I'm sure it was. If my memory serves me well, I spent the last day of 2011 at the races with boyfriend and family. I was shouting encouraging words at greyhounds and quite pleased when one particular greyhound aided my win full of £40. Considering I'd only placed a tiny bet (we are saving for a wedding after all) it was a satisfactory win. I ate my flimsy veggie burger and drank my fairly appalling cheap wine and decided to quit while I was ahead.
After our new year's eve gambling extravaganza, we headed to future brother in law's grand five bedroom, three storey house, with electric gates (I'm not jealous at all!). Here we proceeded to play a rather confusing betting game (or maybe it was the cider, must pace myself I remember thinking) and when we finally finished, I presented from my Tesco's carrier bag a rather silly board game. A game where we had to draw objects and act scenes to enable the two teams to try and crack a code, and only when this code had been cracked could we announce the winner.
We never did crack a code, we were too busy being distracted with toasting our champagne glasses (boyfriend and I did not bring the champagne, we brought a bottle of wine which disappointly future brother in law noticed it was the same bottle he brought to ours boxing day but had not been opened, remember we're saving!). And then at midnight we lite stunning fireworks and made suitable, "Arr, Whoo!" noises when the fireworks became louder and brighter.
It was a fitting farewell to 2011. A year I would consider to be my favoutite year in my entire life. And it's all due to lovely boyfriend. Living with him is so much fun. I love our life, our polka dot home, just off the high street, with my shorter journey to work, proudly wearing my square shaped engagement ring.
So it's with great fondness I am looking forward to 2012. The year we marry. The year I become Mrs T.
And for maybe once in my life I am not wishing the days away. I am not willing time to pass until I am debt free, for as long as I care to remember, I am finally debt free. I am not fantatasing about finding someone to love and share my life with, I have finally found him. I am not frustrated about my publishing career and feeling over looked, I finally feel there is recognision and my recent appraisal proved this.
Dear readers, I may be working on a 2013 diary but I am very much living in and loving the moment.

6 comments:

Amel said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTT...I used to be such a crazy planner - planned my first trip to Finland 3 years ahead (had to save money that long to be able to afford it) ha ha ha ha ha...and my friends used to be scared at me for being such a crazy planner, but I've learnt to enjoy the moment even more now...so cheers to carpe dieeeeemmmm!!! :-D

I'm SO HAPPY for you, Nikki! :-D

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Amel. Three cheers for living in the moment! I know exactly what you mean, I have realised I have spent so much of my life thinking about tomorrow and beyond, I am finally satisfied with today! Glad you feel that way too. I hope you're happy too. x

Amel said...

Oh yeah I'm happy here...other than enjoying each day, I'm also waiting for our short holiday sometime in spring (we're going to Vienna for 5 nights)...plus waiting for our summer holiday too (not sure where to go yet) HA HA HA...

The World According To Me said...

Holidays are the best! Now there's something to look forward to. Sounds fab!

Nick Phillips said...

I can't think 12 hours ahead let alone a year ... LOL! But you're right though, the days move so fast we need to plan way in advance or we'll be left behind.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick, and who wants to be left behind hey?!