Thursday, 22 July 2010

Scrambled Fridays

I breezed into the office, humming a tune to myself, dressed in my long summer dress, with over sized sunglasses perched on top of my head.
“You’re always so happy,” said colleague, as I placed my big gold bag on my desk.
“Well it’s Friday and it’s scrambled eggs day,” said I.
For me that was two very good reasons to be happy. I love Fridays and I love scrambled eggs.
On Friday the staff canteen offers scrambled eggs with the breakfast menu. Monday to Thursday it’s fried eggs. I adore scrambled eggs, on toast, with splashes of tomato ketchup. So how could I not be happy on this particular day?
But it’s not just Friday's eggs which make me happy. Lots of things put a smile on my face. It doesn’t have to be anything huge or life changing, sometimes it really is the small stuff that counts.
I’m not saying I’m super human and I walk around with a permanent beam attached to my face, thanking and praising every little thing I see or do. That would be slightly annoying to do and watch. I have my moments when I may moan about the unreliable circle line (I seem to waste most of my time waiting for this train!) or an unsightly spot on my chin (I’m 36, why do I still get spots?!). But generally, I think I have a pretty healthy attitude towards life, and I appreciate and enjoy many things in my life.
I have a wonderful, caring, and supportive family, the best friends ever to laugh with and talk to, and I have finally met a man who is everything I could have wished for. I like my job, my finances have improved vastly, I receive enormous pleasure from my hobbies - photography, reading, card making and blogging. Plus I am flying to Rhodes next week with lovely boyfriend, and I know we’ll have a blast. So how could I not feel blessed?
But it’s also the small stuff which makes me grin.
It’s watching my new orchid plant blossom.
It’s admiring the blue sky above that us Brits are finally witnessing.
It's an early night with freshly washed bed linen.
It’s walking into a shop and hearing a George Michael song.
It’s hearing those precious three words, "I love you."
It’s a slab of very strong cheese and a glass of chilled wine.
It’s also Fridays and scrambled eggs.

11 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

Off to Rhodes with lovely boyfriend?! No wonder you're cheerful. I love scrambled eggs too.

Nice to hear things are happening for you, X

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl.

I am so excited about our first holiday together!

Happy weekend, and keep smiling!

Blur Ting said...

You have a fantastic attitude! You go girl!

Amel said...

LOVE this post!!! Rhodes? I LOVE Rhodes and I wanna go back there again someday. LOVE the Old Town in Rhodes. :-D CHEERS to enjoying all the little stuff that makes us happy!

ChicagoWing said...

what an awesome post!! I'm so glad that things are going well with you and your boyfriend (can't even call him "new boyfriend anymore" !!! :) )
You have shown the old aphorism is TRUE that the key to happiness is wanting what you have and you sound very grateful. I love this blog!!

You know the funny thing about scrambled eggs is that I have to take Simethicone while I eat the eggs or bad, embarassing things happen if I don't.

Krystle said...

So glad to hear things are going well..Enjoy the holiday!! Take Care & Happy Weekend:)

Krystle said...

So glad to hear things are going well..Enjoy the holiday!! Take Care & Happy Weekend:)

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Blur. I'm going!

Be over to you soon. Hope you're smiling.

The World According To Me said...

Amel

Yes, here's to the small stuff!

I remember you visited Rhodes not long ago. I went there years ago and I'm looking forward to returning and staying in a different part of the island.

Happy smiling!

The World According To Me said...

Hi ChicagoWing

Glad you liked it. It's true, I am very grateful for the good things in my life.

I hope you are well, I shall pay you a visit next.

Oh dear, best you keep taking the Simethicone with your scrambled eggs! That did put a smile to my face!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Krystle

Nice to hear from you. How are you? I must drop by and say hi. I hope things are good for you.