Thursday, 29 July 2010

Breaking legs and flying areoplanes

Today I wished a broken leg upon my best friend. I actually recited the words, "I hope you break a leg."
Are you appalled by my cruel behaviour? Perhaps you are questioning the circumstances behind the statement which has caused such a dramatic response from myself?
Or, dear readers, you may be wise in your show biz knowledge and realise I am wishing her good luck.
It is considered bad luck in the performing arts to wish someone good luck. It is safer, superstitiously, to wish them a broken leg.
So that’s what I have done. I have not argued with my best friend, she has not carried out a despicable act and so I wished her bones to break as a consequence. She is an actress and I repeated a theatrical quote.
Tonight is the opening night for her theatre groups adaptation of Shakespeare's Midsummer's Night Dream. I shall be spectating with my mother and my friends son and parents, and I’m rather looking forward to it.
However, I have seen this play once before, Tuesday evening to be exact. I watched the dress rehearsal at a local school, clicking away on my camera to capture expressions and scenes for the theatre foyer. I tried not to listen too attentively to the words, but concentrated on facial expressions and poignant positions.
Last night lovely boyfriend and I arranged and stuck the photographs in the foyer, for all visitors and performers to see. I was too small to reach the boards so reinforcement was needed. What a team! We then drove home to open a bottle of Pinot Grigio and discuss our forthcoming holiday.
We’re flying to the Greek island of Rhodes on Saturday. To say I am excited would be describing my emotions mildly. I can’t wait! Two more days to go!
I shall leave you with my theatre photographs, and next time I post I shall be showing off my holiday snaps.
Until we meet again, dearers readers.
Bon Voyage, if you too are holidaying soon.
Or, to any actors or actresses out there, break a leg! As they say in show biz!

Actress


Actor


Wake up! There's supposed to be a dress rehearsal


Why is everyone looking at me?


I wish you'd stop shining that torch in my eyes

4 comments:

Amel said...

I bet you're enjoying the sun and having a WONDERFUL holiday with your boyfriend...looking forward to see the pics later on. :-D

ChicagoWing said...

Yes, I'm very familiar w/ the "break a leg" saying as I was in acting the last 2 years of high school and the 1st yr. of college.
There's a lot of strange habits in drama/theatre. Like you are not supposed to whistle near the stage. (except when it's in the script of the play)

The World According To Me said...

I'm back! Thanks Amel. We had a great time. Will post pictures soon.
Hope you're okay?

The World According To Me said...

I didn't know the whistling thing, ChicagoWing. Well, you learn something every day!
Yep, very strange habits some of these acting dudes!
I hope all is good with you.