Tuesday, 22 June 2010

What a difference 100 years makes

I was travelling on the train, reading my newspaper, when I nearly choked on my cereal bar.
The words:'The finest exposition of scientific football ever witnessed here’ were the culprits who caused this choking sensation.
I was confused. Was I still dreaming? Perhaps I was in the midst of a deep sleep underneath my purple and cream duvet?
But I was sure I’d begrudgingly left my bed this morning and made my way to work.
No, I was positive I was awake.
The unfortunate choking moment and the gentle snores from the man to my left were only too apparent. Perhaps the man to my left was dreaming, but I was very much in the real world, sitting on the train and reading my newspaper.
So why was I so dumbfounded to read these words? Why had they caused such a dramatic reaction?
Because they were referring to the England football team!
Yes dear readers, it’s the 2010 World Cup. Whether you are a football fan or not, there is no escape from the commentary, the headlines, and the complaints about the noise level created from the Vuvuzelas.
England are two games down, with everything to play for in their third.
And it’s with a heavy heart I have to admit the English football team are playing disappointingly rubbish.
Oh how the fans have turned on them! After their shockingly weak game last Friday, I regret to inform you, the team were booed off the pitch. Oh how the fans take it all very seriously! And some might say, rightly so. It costs a lot of money for an English fan to fly to and stay in South Africa. No doubt lots of savings and sacrifices have been made. Which is why tempers are up and morale is down. The fans can’t understand how talented men, earning enormous amounts of money and living lifestyles which most people could not imagine in a million years, with their country backing them and rooting for them, could play with such lack of interest.
Therefore the words I read in my newspaper, and I quote: 'The finest exposition of scientific football ever witnessed here’ hit a very raw nerve. Not to mention the pieces of nuts and raisins which spluttered out of my mouth and hit the seat in front of me.
I was feeling slightly embarrassed about my cereal bar spillage. And very confused about the words I had read.
Until reality suddenly dawned on me.
The words were now making perfect sense.
The newspaper article was written regarding the 1910 English football team. Apparently they won every game they played and notched up 143 goals in just 23 games.
Wow, that is something to be proud of. Wayne Rooney and John Terry take note! Maybe all that bling and the celebrity lifestyle are now distractions from the game? I won’t pretend to know everything about football, but it would be nice to see a team effort, with goals being scored, and to feel England’s spirits rise, like Phoenix from the ashes, or a rainbow after a thunder storm.
Or rather like I imagine it felt in 1910.
Come on England!

14 comments:

WaterLearner said...

I am not a fan of football. But my buddies who are following the world cup have said that all matches have been disappointing so far.

Eryl Shields said...

I have decided to support Portugal after yesterday's 7-0 win over North Korea. I like a team who scores a lot of goals, comprises almost entirely good looking players and, Bob (my son) is off to live in Portugal in the next week so I feel able to stake a claim, if a rather tentative one.

Nick Phillips said...

I'm a fan of the English team and have been all these years unfortunately they seem to do so horribly bad on the big stage ... siggghhh ...

Amel said...

He he...I'm not a football fan and here in Finland we don't really feel it at all. I guess not many Finnish people love football, either or maybe 'coz I live in a small village so I don't see shops brandishing World Cup merchandise and stuff he he...

ChicagoWing said...

every now & then I catch myself misinterpreting a word. & it winds up being the key word in the sentence ! ! ! So, then I reread and it's like, "OOOhhhhhh!"

So, I can really relate to what happened when you read what you did and your reaction

The World According To Me said...

Hi Waterlearner. I agree, a lot of the games have been disappointing, especially England! A lot of the favourites to win have been knocked out at the early stages, alas England included. Oh well, only another four years until we can have another go!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

Seven nil, that's a lot of goals for one team! And it certainly makes the game more interesting when there is eye candy!
I think you can take a tentative claim!

The World According To Me said...

You're so right, Nick.
Some of these players do great stuff for their own teams throughout the year but when it comes to the big one, or the big stage as you say, it seems to go horribly wrong.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel.

I must confess to not really being a sporty kind of person but I do enjoy watching football. Here in the UK we are pretty passionate about it, my street is covered with England flags and sometimes it's all we talk about at lunchtime (now the election is out of the way!). Unfortunately we have now been kicked out of the World Cup, and the fans have been pretty passionate about voicing their disgust too!

The World According To Me said...

Hi ChicagoWing

Yep, it's funny how we can misread or mistype and the whole sentence takes on a different meaning! Rather like texting can be. The other day I typed 'I've invited toads' instead of 'I've invited loads' (of people). Now that confused my friend totally! Note to myself - read and write with care!

Kate said...

Oh, it was a travesty. Frankly, they played like crap. Go, Ghana!

The World According To Me said...

They sure did Kate!
They have arrived home and hung their heads in shame.

eddymartin said...

Hi, what paper were you reading?
I have tried to find this great team after your description and I can't.
The 1910 team were not unbeaten as far as I can see.
By the way love the blog.

Best wishes
Edward in sunny Spain

The World According To Me said...

Hello Ed

How is life in Spain? Thanks for visiting again!

It was an article in The Metro newspaper, a freebie circulated at train stations in the UK.

Bye for now. Hope you enjoy your weekend.