Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Hi Diddly-Dee, an actor’s life for me!

It’s not really an actor’s life for me, it’s more of a photographer’s life, but I can’t seem to remove that tune from my head (remember the scene from Pinocchio?) and I have been spending my time recently with actors and actresses, therefore I thought this title post rather apt.
One of my dear friends is a member of two local theatre groups. Sometimes she acts in the plays and sometimes she provides the scenery and props for the plays. And the other day she suggested to her theatre group that I take the photographs of the plays.
I have found these photo sessions rather exciting, but a little nerve wracking at the same time. I definitely need to raise my confidence issues and become less shy and more vocal whilst photographing real life people. Oh, I think I failed to mention during the Fish and chips post (too busy focusing on lurve) that I was the official photographer at my cousins wedding.
It was an honour to be classed as the official photographer at my cousin’s wedding, and I felt slightly important, but I was also pretty scared. It was a huge responsibility. I wanted the weather, scenery and atmosphere to be perfect. Plus I was worried my small voice, and sometimes timid amongst strangers personality, would not be able to cope with the demands of photographing 100 plus wedding guests.
However, I managed it, with a little help from my other cousin whose voice boomed above the wedding chatter, ordering family and friends about and telling them where to stand in the photography line-up. I decided there and then, if ever I wanted to take wedding photography seriously, a very loud assistant would be a great idea.
So you see, recently it’s been a photographer’s life for me. This acting lark is all very well, and I am looking forward to watching my friend perform and dance in Roxy Krasner and the case of the Dancing German Aviator this weekend, but I much prefer the quieter life behind the camera lens.
And before I leave you with pictures of the theatre group, I would like to inform you that my photographs should be appearing in a local newspaper one Friday very soon!

Scene from Bloody Poetry


Another scene from Bloody Poetry

12 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

Blimey, well done you!

Amel said...

AWWWW...SO HAPPY for you, busy photographer! CONGRATS on the tasks you've been getting and also on the photographs on the local paper soon! And you're right about the loud assistant. :-D :-D :-D

Nick Phillips said...

Well, good for you :)

Mary Smith said...

Good for you on your gig!! I hope you had fun doing it. Could be the start of a new thing...

ChicagoWing said...

the pictures look great! I bet you will do just fine in your new role as photographer. Let us know what happens as I think there will be experiences coming out of that.

Kate said...

This is great! You are one of the best photographers I know - I have total confidence in you. If you make it big, hire ME! I have a really loud voice.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl. How are you? I've now produced CDs for theatre rehearsals and people actually want to pay for my work! Okay I won't be buying a mansion yet, but it's a start.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Amel. Hope you're good. Yeah LOUD assistants are a good idea for people with quiet voices!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Nick. It's nice to feel I am putting what I've learnt to good use!

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Mary. It's def been fun. I've now conducted a theatre photo shoot, produced the rehearsal photographs for the theatre foyer, had a photograph printed in local newspaper, been the offical photographer for 2 weddings, and now friends are asking for family/model photo sessions!
I know you love your photography and produce excellent pictures. Did you learn your skills at college? I'm wondering whether to learn it as a recognised skill rather than a hobby.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you ChicagoWing

How are you?

I'll keep you updated! Since this post I have produced the rehearsal photographs for the show, to be displayed in the theatre foyer, and have already sold some of the pictures!
By the way, there's now a pic of me on Life's a beach. I'm the one on the right with a slightly sunburnt face!

The World According To Me said...

Why thank you Kate! Nice of you to say so. I hope you are well. I'll remember your loud voice, pity you don't live nearer. Or is it so loud I can hear if from over there?!