Thursday, 22 April 2010

I have interrupted this blog with some very important news

I am forever touching wood.
This is not because I have aspirations to become a world class carpenter. And it is not because I have been diagnosed with objectum-sexuality (where people fall in love with inanimate objects, like buildings, cars, fences, weird I know and I watched a documentary on this once and found it even weirder). It is because I suffer from not wishing to tempt fate. In other words, I am fairly superstitious.
For your benefit, and my curiosity, I googled (aint the Internet great) ‘touching wood’ and this was the information I was given:

The custom is thought to originate from Pagan times when trees were held in high esteem. People believed that 'wood spirits' inhabited the trees and woodlands. To touch a tree with respect is thought to indicate that the person was in search of protection from the particular wood spirit.
It is thought also that the action may be a result of the Christian belief in The Crucifixion. Christ was crucified on a cross made of wood and hence touching wood may now be a sign of this belief, and a sign of deep compassion and reverence for Christ's resurrection. This would of course have no connection with the Pagan reasoning, but perhaps the action may be seen as result of two distinctive belief systems.

So there is some kind of explanation as to why I feel the need to caress wooden objects, when discussing something of minor or major importance, but either way when I do not wish bad luck or the hand of fate to alter the conversation.
And it always seems when I fail to find a piece of wood to prod, strange things occur.
For example:

One evening I was at my cousins house, scoffing chillie con carne and boasting that I am always at the bus stop at 6.40am and never late for the 6.48am bus. Then guess what happened? The very next day I left my house minus my mobile telephone, rushed home to collect it, and missed the 6.48am bus.
Another time I was sitting at my desk informing my boss that I had not suffered with a cold for over a year and therefore I must be relatively healthy these days. Then guess what happened? Two days later I started sniffing and sneezing. I went down like a pack of cards with a very nasty cold.

Can you now see why I have decided to break earth shattering news to you, whilst furiously poking wood with my index finger? Okay here is my announcement:

I have a boyfriend.
A real life, real boyfriend.
Have you fallen off your chair?
Did you faint with the sheer shock of my confession?
Are you laughing wildly and shaking your head in dis-belief?
Maybe you are muttering to yourself, “Here we go again, another mysterious man from a night club who will blank her in ten days, or a phantom boyfriend from on line dating who is dating a million other girls and is merely humouring her..”?
I wouldn’t blame you for doing/saying all of the above. However, it is true. It has been two months now. We have dined in restaurants, walked in forests, drank in cocktail bars, and met each others friends and relations.
And tonight I am cooking my boyfriend a Thai curry. The ingredients were purchased at Sainsburys last night, the cook book has been prestigiously placed by the cooker, and the wine and cider are chilling in the fridge. I've even bought new red bowls and plates for the occasion.

I am a happy girl and I feel privileged to have met a special someone – touch wood!

Pictures of Thailand beaches coming very soon!

12 comments:

Philip said...

That's a nice post, good stuff on wood too!
Thanks
Philip

Eryl Shields said...

I've always wondered about the wood touching thing, and like the idea of benevolent wood sprites, I wonder if one lives in my desk.

A proper boyfriend with relatives eh? Good for you. I'm touching wood as I say: I look forward to hearing much more about him. Good luck with the Thai curry cooking. Thai food is probably my very favourite.

Blur Ting said...

Woo hoo! You go girl!!

Nick Phillips said...

Good for you :D I'm happy to hear the news :D

*touching loads of wood*

Amel said...

I'm HAPPY for you!!! Actually I was kinda expecting you to be girlfriend-boyfriend by now he he he...Wish you all the best! :-D

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Philip, nice of you to say so! And maybe you learnt something about wood?!

The World According To Me said...

A wood spirit in your desk, now that's got me thinking Eryl!

Yep, a proper boyfriend with relatives! How about that. And he liked my Thai curry.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Blur.

I am loving life right now, touch wood! Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Keep touching that wood, Nick! I need this luck to stay.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Amel. So far, so good!
I hope you and your man are okay.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

oh.. I love your blog. Congrats!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks and welcome Open Kitchen. I shall be writing more over the weekend.
I look forward to reading your blog.