Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Blue January

Dear January, what a raw deal you have been given. Let’s face brutal facts shall we, any month that has to follow December has an awful lot to live up to.
December, the official Christmas month. A month of celebrating, spending time with ones family and friends, giving and receiving presents, indulging in Christmas food and spirits, and a welcome break from the classroom or office.
January, often a bitterly cold month. In the UK it has been recorded as the coldest month in over thirty years. January, a full thirty one days to feel flat from the season of good will, from over eating and over spending. A time where one could feel rather let down for not achieving those over ambitious new years resolutions.
January, what high expectations you come with. Too high in my humble experience. Every year I make the same old mistakes - discussing my new weight and fitness motivation, eagerly laid plans to become super organised and spending more time with my hobbies, and threatening everyone, myself included, with my new lease for life.
Is it any surprise, dare I say it, that January is often associated with the January blues. The blues which often make one feel disappointed and disillusioned that life has not changed one tiny bit.
Am I being too harsh? Perhaps the first month of the new year has brought you more success than it has for me? Maybe I shouldn’t really blame January. Perhaps I should admit to being the one to blame for failing my promises and desires.
For example:
Have I lost any weight?
No.
Have I turned into a fitness freak?
No.
Have I captured amazing and astonishing pictures on my Canon camera?
No.
Have I found the love of my life through Match Affinity?
Again a big, fat, ugly, no.
But it’s been so cold! On many days I have not been able to leave the house due to the heavy snow fall and my car refusing to start, making it virtually impossible to enjoy walks with my camera or car journeys to the gym.
As for on line dating, it has hindered, not helped, my nervousness and anxiousness with dating and finding a nice, reliable, companion and lover.
And I have been so broke! There have been zero fun packed days or evenings out for me. This has not helped my sanity and my (too high?) expectations.
Excuses, excuses, you may well be saying.
Well, all I can say is, blue January has left us for another twelve months.
It’s onwards and upwards with February! This month I promise to try harder. I have been paid, the snow has melted, and my car is in full working order once again.
Oh and I have booked a holiday to Thailand! Now that’s something to shout about and look forward to! March is the merry month I am vacating to this destination. I am so excited, and quite frankly I can’t wait. Thailand has been at the top of my ‘places I must visit’ list for a long time. Therefore I am over the moon that this place has been (nearly) crossed off my list and I shall be visiting it in a matter of weeks.
But first, I must tackle February. I have a date looming with Jonnygiant from Match Affinity (apparently he’s not really a giant, or a wolf, embarrassingly I read one of his sentences wrong regarding wanting to have a wolf/be a wolf). I've given up on The Other One from my other post - see The rule book of life. And I’m off to the gym tomorrow.
Let’s see if I can turn February into a sparkling, happier, friendlier, slimmer, brighter shade of yellow.
So long, blue January. I hate to be personal and rude, but I’m really glad you’ve gone.

16 comments:

Nick Phillips said...

January has been a bad month for me too and I'm hoping February is much better.

Eryl Shields said...

Thailand, wonderful. Now you have a solid reason to go to the gym.

Amel said...

Hey, that's the spirit!!! I think January has its good and bad times for me - bad about my FIL's condition and the fact that I still have zero career and I still don't know what to do, good about our new house he he...I can't believe one month has passed by already. HUGS and HAVE FUN no matter what...

Mary Smith said...

Wow, Thailand sounds great!! You will LOVE it there! I'm not a great fan of Jan. either. Hope Feb. brings lots of goodness your way!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

Has January been full of too many bad Mondays? February can only get better. And you have your cute dog to come home too!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

Thailand is definitely a solid reason to visit the gym. The bikni countdown has begun!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

You're right, hugs and fun no matter what! Sorry to hear about FIL's condition and lack of career, but you have your house and each other!

The World According To Me said...

The same to you Mary! I'm afraid I keep experiencing problems when I try to leave a comment on your blog, but I'm often visiting you and your wonderful pictures.

Blur Ting said...

Oh, I made the same mistakes as you in Jan too. For us here, Feb is another month of eating and even more spending!

I am 101% sure you'll have fun in Thailand. Food and stuff are cheap there, your British pound will go a long way there.

ChicagoWing said...

I'm always happy to be rid of January!! It's just a nasty, LONG, cold month!

Kate said...

I predict that your camera will MAKE LOVE to Thailand, and that you will return with a tan and lovely photos. I also predict that, when you stop caring about your dates from Match Affinity, you will them meet the man of your dreams.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

So Feb is another month of spending and eating over there? Oh well, there's always March! But I bet you're having fun.
Good news about the british pound in Thailand.

The World According To Me said...

Here, here Chicaowing

Hope you're having a better month.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Kate

I love your predictions! Funnily enough I'm no longer on Match Affinity, I stopped looking and caring about meeting someone, and I met someone! It's early days and I don't want to tepmt fate but he's lovely.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Kate

I love your predictions! Funnily enough I'm no longer on Match Affinity, I stopped looking and caring about meeting someone, and I met someone! It's early days and I don't want to tepmt fate but he's lovely.

Amel said...

20 days without a post from you...sob sob...you must be busy with work, friends, and the new guy...wishing you ALL THE BEST, but I miss your postssss...pretty, please he he he...