Friday, 11 December 2009

The morning my hair froze

“If you could gain extra time in your life, what would you do with it?” the nice smiley lady at the front of the room asked me.
“Sleep more,” was my immediate answer. My answer which was met with sniggers and raised eyebrows.
Oh, I thought to myself, feeling my cheeks flush a shade of red. Should I have replied with something which had more depth and character? Maybe the answer should have been saving the planet, or helping those less fortunate than myself by raising money climbing mountains and handing them all my worldly possessions?
I was merely being honest. I do need to sleep more. Sleep to me is a blessing. A novelty. A luxury.
We all need sleep, of course I am aware of this. Without sleep one would go insane. But at this present moment in time, I need more sleep. 8 hours would be nice. 8 hours would be heaven!
I have always been the type of person who needs sleep more than the average person. Left to my own devices, I could sleep, and sleep, and then sleep again. That’s once I’ve cleared my mind of all those niggling worries and doubts and stresses and I can actually fall asleep.
I love my (newish, it’s been nine months now) job, but I drink far too much caffeine as a consequence. My alarm bleeps far too early, the journey is long and tiring. But hey it’s a job, it’s a good job and I’m grateful to be employed again after my redundancy episode.
And I can sleep on the trains. I often doze on the trains, my head dangling unattractively in my book or my bag. The other day I awoke with my head in a bouquet of flowers, a beautiful bunch of flowers which my friend generously and kindly sent to my office. That was a little embarrassing, not to mention bewildering, when I awoke staring at sunflower petals.
It was a time and work management course where this gaining time question was raised, and made me ponder over my sleeping pattern. But how do you gain extra time to sleep more? My mind wondered for the remainder of the course.
Right on cue, the very next day my alarm rudely and loudly interrupted my sleep. I slammed the off button on my unpopular alarm clock and promptly fell back to sleep. I stirred again 45 minutes later (unfortunately there is no snooze button on my alarm clock and I lost another mobile phone with the capability to snooze, in my gold bag in a black taxi cab) and I felt sheer panic. I realised I had 15 minutes to wash myself and my hair, feed my stomach, dress myself, and catch my bus to the train station. Higher forces must have been working with me that morning, as somehow I managed it.
But I left my house with wet hair and the atmosphere was so chilly that my hair actually froze. I swear that’s what happened. Have you ever heard of such a thing? It turned into a stiff, uncomfortable layer. Life is just one big adventure in the mornings.
But I was right. My answer to the nice smiley lady was honest and heartfelt. I do need to sleep more.
This was made abundantly clear, it was proved a fact of my life, on the morning my hair froze.

14 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with that kind of wish. I mean, if we have enough sleep, we can be more productive and positive. At least when I lack sleep, I become cranky and it's not making me productive hi hi...

Glad to hear you can snooze on the trains, though!

Bitter Chocolate said...

I hear you! I'm just ready to go to bed right now... unfortunately, as it's only 4 pm it's probably not going to happen. It would be really helpful though, as I just caught myself typing 'I ear you' :D

I kind of like the image of awaking with my head in flowers though. There's something very fairytale-like about it...

Mary Smith said...

Once again your post made me chuckle!! I love your honesty. Sweet dreams!

The World According To Me said...

Here, here Amel! Sleep is good for the soul, and a basic human need. I can not wait to sleep tonight and enjoy my Saturday lay in. Here's to sleep!

The World According To Me said...

Good point, Bitter Chocolate, awaking with your head in flowers is quite magical.

Hope you have some amazing sleep this weekend!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Mary Smith. You have to chuckle in this life, even if you feel tired doing so!

The World According To Me said...

Bitter Chocolate, maybe it's lack of sleep (!) but I can't seem to comment on your blog. And yes it does always flippin' rain here! And now it's turned to snow and the UK can't cope. Again!

Dav DiDi said...

That's what pops in my mind too ... we all need sleep .. and sleep is important for us ..

Mary Smith said...

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! (still wish I knew your name:) See you again in 2010!

The World According To Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The World According To Me said...

I totally agree Dav Didi! Sleep is under rated. Sleep is what we need! I hope you had a great Christmas with lots of sleep!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Mary Smith

I hope you and your family had a great Christmas and I wish you all the best for 2010.

With love, Nikki.

Now you know my name!

三杯雞Sam said...

,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

宮保雞丁Alex said...

徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,抓姦,徵信,徵信社,徵信,抓姦,抓姦,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,外遇,徵信社,,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,錄音,背叛,商標,商標,GPS,離婚