Tuesday, 29 December 2009

And so the search begins...

I have done something which could potentially be the best thing I have ever done. On the other hand, it could disastrously be the worst thing I have ever done.
One thing I am sure of, it’s something I thought I would never do. If I recall my reaction to this suggestion last year, I was adamant I would never do such a thing. “It’s just not me,” I remember saying. But, as I’m sure you have heard before, it’s a girl’s prerogative to change her mind!
So I have changed my mind. I am now trying to convince myself, nothing ventured it nothing gained. Therefore, I am venturing into the unknown!
I can honestly say this year for me has been the year of unexpected changes. Including my latest change of heart.
I lost my job.
I found a new job.
I cleared my debts thanks to loosing my job.
I have learnt new skills.
I have made new friends.
I have moved into my old home.
I have embraced independent life again.
And finally...I have joined the world of on-line dating.
Why have I done this? Why have I decided to put myself through such an ordeal? Because I have reached the point in my life where I need to make things happen, rather than sitting back and waiting for them to happen. This includes finding my Mr Right.
I am the grand old age of 36 and I am still single. I have looked around and realised my friends are happily married and raising families and looking forward to their futures. And I am buying a microwave meal for one on Christmas Eve.
I have also reached the point in my life where it’s becoming increasingly harder to find Mr Right. My social life involves meals at friends houses, or nights out with friends where I wouldn’t dare approach a man for fear of them having a girlfriend or wife at home, or even worse, a girlfriend or wife sitting next to them. So where do you find single men? Single men looking for lurve? On-line dating.
It’s a strange environment. Even stranger for someone like me who likes familiarity. I’m not one for falling in love at the drop of a hat, or exposing my inner self to strangers - although strangely I do so on my blog!
But sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. It would be nice to share my life with someone. To not be the only single person at the party, like my office Christmas party where I was mortified to find I was the only person who did not bring a partner. (The symapthy waves were almost too much to bare.) It would be nice to have someone to cuddle up to on these dark and cold winter evenings. Someone to care for and someone to care for me.
My biggest fear is becoming even more cynical in matters of the heart. To feel even more disillusioned by the men I meet. Yet I have taken this opportunity to find Him. The one I have been searching for.
I have my first date tomorrow night with someone I have been messaging for a little while. To say I am nervous would be an understatement. I’m wondering how I will sleep tonight. I’m worrying I’m too fat, too unattractive, too different for what He is looking for. But I’m doing it.
Wish me luck!
I’ll let you know the outcome.

21 comments:

Nick Phillips said...

All the best on your date :D I hope everything goes according to plan and this will be the right one for you :D

Happy New Year and may 2010 be the year you get hitched :D

Amelia Listiani said...

Hey, GOOD LUCK!!! Knowing me - how I found my love thru the net - it can work this way too.

I just wish you THE BEST!!! :-D Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

My dear, I am happy you are brave and modern. But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful. I know I am not your mom, but PLEASE meet only in public places for awhile until you can find out if these men are trustworthy. Believe me, there are a lot of predators out there and they are smart and manipulative.

That said, I met my husband through Yahoo personals. So, being careful and taking that leap paid off in the end. Here's to you and 2010!

eddymartin said...

Nikki,

Good for you

Good luck

Krystle said...

Hello how r u? Good Luck!!

Wishing you all the best for the coming year..Take Care :)

ChicagoWing said...

Best of luck. You are making the right move by on-line dating. You have to make things happen. One of the objections people have to on-line dating is that it's "not safe", but the thing is you can make it safe. You can get to know the person somewhat before dating. It seems that on-line dating accelerates the relationship and speeds things up more, but again, by taking things deliberately, you can make it a safer process.

pilgrimchick said...

How did it turn out?

I have done a lot of online dating, and it doesn't turn out to be too different from the in-person, I-met-someone thing. Good luck with it--I hope it goes well.

Maureen said...

I randomly clicked the "next blog" thing on the top of my computer screen and came to yours. When I read this post, I had to comment. I was also skeptical about online dating but when I moved to a new city I decided to try it. I went on a couple dates and it was ok. In my experience, guys on online dating sites tend to be looking for different things than girls on online dating sites, if you know what I mean. My advice is to be careful and open minded about how this person/date is going to turn out. If nothing happens, hey, at least you got a free dinner out of it.

Dav DiDi said...

All the best and don't worry too much ...

Mary Smith said...

You will be a great catch for some lucky guy!!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Nick! I'm a bit late with replying. Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

So it worked for you Amel? That's good to hear. And look how happy you are now!

The World According To Me said...

And it worked for you Katherine! Hurray! Don't worry I am being careful but thanks for the advice.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Ed. I need all the luck you can give me! Hope you're okay and thanks for reading and commenting.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Chicagowing for your wise words. I'm making things happen!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Pilgrimchick. First date went well it's now the second date I'm worrying about!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Maureen

Welcome to the next blog! I've visited yours but my internet connection went down before I could write a comment. I will try again.

The World According To Me said...

You said it, Dav Didi, I mustn't worry too much. Hopefully it will all make sense one day. Hope you're good.

The World According To Me said...

What a nice thing to say Mary Smith. All the best to you and your lovely family.

三杯雞Sam said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

宮保雞丁Alex said...

,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社