Saturday, 3 October 2009

Because of the wonderful things he does

If I was to mention the words yellow brick road, and if I was to talk about a lion without any courage, and if I was to discuss lollipop kids, would you understand my point?
I would not be remembering a dream, or flipping random words into the air, I would be referring to one of my favourite films in the whole wide world – The Wizard of Oz.
In my eyes, it’s a classic. Hollywood at it’s best. A technicolour fantasy with a nice little moral - there’s no place like home.
I have watched this film about a million times. I’ve lost track of the amount of Christmas days I have sat in the family lounge, wearing new Christmas slippers, surrounded by new Christmas toys, and found myself mesmerised by a lion, a scarecrow and a tin man.
And to my delight one of my Christmas presents one year was The Wizard of Oz on video. My own copy! My own copy to watch whenever I so desired. And believe me, I did. Sprawled out on the sofa, chomping my way through chocolate bars, or lounging on my bed, desperate to escape the real world and visit familiar characters on a mission to ask a wizard to make their dreams come true.
So it would not surprise you to hear when I was offered the opportunity to view this film again, I jumped at the chance. Although this time it was viewing with a difference. The difference being it was shown at an open air cinema. An open air cinema in London, situated next to the River Thames.
Oh what fun we had! My friend (also my new flat mate) and I. Front row seats, with crisps, dips and white wine, and watching my favourite film in the whole wide world. Again.

The open air cinema was situated past Tower Bridge, along The River Thames.


Rain clouds, please go away!


It's nearly time for the film to begin.


I recognise that lion.


The familiar, well loved, film title.

9 comments:

Krystle said...

Wow that was interesting for sure :) I've never actually been to an open air cinema!

Nick Phillips said...

Wow, must have been fun :D The last time I went to an open air cinema was when I was a little boy. They don't have them here anymore :(

Blur Ting said...

That's so fun but your header was misleading... I thought you had gotten engaged or married because of the nice things he did! :-)

Amel's Realm said...

OHHHHH how wonderful!!! :-D I've never actually seen the entire movie, you know? *blush*

The World According To Me said...

Hi Krystle

How's it going?

I must admit, it's the first time I've been to one in the UK. We don't really have the weather for it. And surprise, surprise, it rained!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

I'm surprised you don't have them out there, with all that lovely sunshine?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

It's because of the wonderful things the wizard does! We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz...because, because, because, because, because, because of the wonderful things he does!

The World According To Me said...

Amel, you've never lived! You must see it. Take my word for it. You will love it.

Amel's Realm said...

He he...okay, I'll try to get it somewhere so that I'll live and not be half-dead LOL LOL...