Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Put your posh frock on (and join the party!)

One day I was watching a film with my best friend. I can’t remember the name of the film, but I do recall it starred Anthony Hopkins. We were only halfhearted watching the television screen, until Mr Hopkins uttered the words, “Why don’t you put your posh frock on and join the party?”
This may sound peculiar to you, dear readers, but my friend and I found the above line hilarious. We quoted and re quoted the line, until we were laughing so much that we could no longer quote. It definitely tickled our funny bones. We found this sentence very amusing to say the least.
Over the years, at every opportunity and occasion possible, my friend and I have used this phrase. These words never failed to entertain or bore us.
For example, if one of us was feeling down and in need of cheering up, the other one would repeat, “Why don’t you put your posh frock on and join the party!”
If there was a wedding or a birthday forthcoming, one of us would quote, “Why don’t you put your posh frock on and join the party!”
Or if we spotted a pretty dress in each others company, it would be a race to see who would be the first to say, “Why don’t you put your posh frock on and join the party!”
Therefore, I think you can imagine my squeals of delight, many years later, when I received my bridesmaid gift from my friend. It was during her hen evening, and my friend thought it would be appropriate to present me with a sparkling silver bracelet. A sparkling silver bracelet to wear on her wedding day. And on this silver bracelet the following words were engraved, Put your posh frock on. After these words was the date of her wedding.
It was the perfect, special, gift between two special friends!
I wore my bracelet with pride when I stepped out of a car on the 15th August 2009, in my bridesmaid dress, outside my friend’s wedding venue. I grinned at the flashing cameras, my bracelet shining on my right wrist, as I held my bouquet of flowers and posed for photographs.
Then my bracelet and I glided into the registry office, to await the arrival of the bride and her father.
The moment my best friend entered the ceremony room, on her fathers arm, I fiddled nervously with my bracelet and fought back tears when I saw her radiant and beautiful face, and her stunning posh frock.
The service was an intimate affair with a reading, The Owl and the Pussy Cat, from the groom’s sister. This reading did not pass without a few raised eyebrows and chuckles, especially when the grooms sister misinterpreted a few of the words. I remember looking around the ceremony and watching the tears of tenderness, in the wedding parties eyes, turn into tears of amusement. My friend has some brilliant pictures of this part of the day, where everyone is laughing and happily enjoying a poignant moment in time.
The ceremony flowed into the next part of the day. The reception was held in green and glorious natural surroundings, with a brightly decorated yurt, champagne, canapes, and a delicious hog roast. The sun broke through the clouds, not wishing to miss out on the fun.
It was a fantastic day and evening. A day and evening of celebrating the love and commitment of two fantastic people who'd found each other.
At the end of the night a camp fire was lit and lanterns were released into the sky, much to the spectators delight. And it wouldn’t be a wedding without dancing, would it dear readers.
I don’t think it would surprise you either, if I told you I was one of the last guests to be enthusiastically dancing around the room. I twirled around in my bridesmaid dress showing off my bracelet, jumping in the air in my eagerness.
Then finally, exhausted from laughing and enjoying myself, I collapsed on a sofa in the yurt. In my enjoyment I’d forgotten to erect my tent for the night, so my posh frock and I spent a somewhat uncomfortable and cold night on a sofa. But it was worth it.
And I embraced every single second, of the day I put my posh frock on and joined the party.


Friends.


Cake.


The yurt and my bed for the night.

13 comments:

spangleystar said...

Brought a tear to my eye!
- was the most wonderful of days and you are the most wonderful of friends and looked sooooo beautiful in your posh frock xxx
PS I'll send you the link to Stefano's photos they're the only ones you haven't seen yet xxx

The World According To Me said...

It was a wonderful day, wasn't it. One I will treasure forever, along with you and our friendship.
Would love to see those pics. xxx

Nick Phillips said...

Awww, that was a nice heart warming post :D

Amel's Realm said...

I LOVE the cake and the way it's decorated. My, you've got yourself a wonderful friend! :-D

Mind you that before I scrolled down to the pic, I had to look up "yurt" in the dictionary ha ha ha...

Have a blessed weekend!

Eryl Shields said...

I'm not supposed to be blogging so I'll just say: wow the cake, the yurt and you, all so gorgeous: if I had a posh enough frock I'd put it on!

bazzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bazzie said...

I've gone all emotional after reading this. Wish I was a bridesmaid. The only think I have to look forward to is this week's raffle!

The World According To Me said...

Glad you thought so Nick.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

My clever friend Claire made the cake and it was delicious!

I had to look up how to spell 'yurt' in the dictionary. Believe it or not!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

I bet you look grand in a posh frock. The cake was made by my friend and it was very, very yummy. Hope your project is going well.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Bazzie

But is it the first or second prize you're after? He, he. I couldn't make Monday as I had to work late. Should be there next week though.

Blur Ting said...

Oh, I love that line! You sure had a great time. Oh, I do wish we're living near to each other. Then I have a good excuse to put on my frock and join your party!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

That would be great, if you were nearer and could join me in your posh frock! Hope you had a great weekend.