Sunday, 20 September 2009

Crazy little thing called love

Isn’t it funny how something as innocent as a power cut can drive one's mind to madness, pondering over that crazy little thing called love. Well that’s what happened to me last Tuesday.
It began as a normal day. An average Tuesday morning. I was sitting on the train, during my journey to work, engrossed in my book. My mobile telephone rang in my big brown bag, rudely interrupted me from my far away world.
It was my boss. “There’s been a power cut Nikki. The office will be closed all day.”
An unexpected day off! How nice. However, it would have been nicer if I’d known the night before, or even earlier that morning, so I did not have to stumble out of my bed at an ungodly hour and ride three trains to reach my destination.
The next telephone call I received was from my colleague.“Nikki!” she said. “Have you heard the news? No work today! Where are you? Fancy coming over for coffee, bagels and a DVD?”
What a great idea! I disembarked at the next stop, my final destination, and made my way to my colleague's house. It wasn’t such a wasted journey after all. Luckily there were no magazines due to be sent to press. It was going to be a day of relaxation with my colleague.
“Sex and the City?” my colleague enquired when I reached her house. Another great idea.
I have never been an avid follower of SATC but I’ve seen snippets of the series and I’d have to be living on Mars not to know the character of Carrie Bradshaw and friends. So we sat on the sofa, with coffee and bagels, to indulge in the life of four fictional friends. As the story unravelled we couldn’t help commenting on the ups and downs of four young women searching for love, falling in love, avoiding love and trying to stay in love.
That four lettered word called love.
The power of love.
The thing which apparently makes the world go round.
That crazy little thing called love.
Our conversation moved on to real love, love that we have personally experienced, not the love found on the television screen between four girls from New York. We exchanged stories, we laughed, we sighed. I envied her true love. I despaired of my disastrous attempts of love. We decided to drink wine (it was noon by this time which we thought was an acceptable time to escape in a bottle of wine). We bonded over tales of love and loss of love.
We wore ourselves out talking about love. And then we realised the sun was shining in the real world. We decided to venture outside and stop thinking about love.
Once outside, in the sunshine, we headed to the local pub’s garden. Well it was our day off.
We sat in the beer garden watching the world whizz past. Okay, maybe not the entire world, just a small town called Stevenage where my colleague lives and our office is based.
Our next plan was to stop drinking wine and visit the pictures to watch 500 days of summer. Another story of love!
I began to feel uneasy. Is everyone obsessed with love? Has everyone found love accept me? It was enough to make a girl paranoid.
I sat in the pictures with my nachos and cheese sauce (it’s another habit of mine which is hard to break) and watched a man falling in love with a woman, and a woman resisting falling in love with a man. Was she insane, I couldn’t help thinking, why doesn’t she love him? He’s hopelessly in love with her, he’s honest, he’s cute, he’s faithful. Where do you find a man like him?! Oh that’s right, it’s the movies, it’s not real. Call me cynical dear readers, but at the grand old age of 35 I am very disappointed with love. The film was not helping matters.
After the film I looked at my watch and regrettably thought it was time I began my three train journeys home.
I sat on my first train, and I tried to shake off the memories of the days viewing and conversations, the memories of love. I opened my book to continue my latest novel. Twilight is the title of my present reading material. The story revolves around a vampire called Edward. This vampire called Edward has been searching for his true love for over one hundred years. Arrg, I painfully thought, what hope does a mere mortal like me have, if Edward has been searching for over one hundred years? I very much doubt I shall live for one hundred years, and if I do, I may have forgotten who I am, let alone the meaning of love.
Therefore, I was glad to return to work the next day. I buried my head in PDF problems, paper queries and invoices, glad of the distractions and the work load. I was trying desperately not to think about that crazy little thing called love. I refused to waste any further time or effort thinking about the subject.
(Please, no more power cuts!)
And then something very strange happened.
Stranger than me finding love!
It was an out of the blue, sudden, dramatic change.
Something that I would not have thought ever possible.
Yet it happened.
And it certainly stopped me thinking about love.
But you'll have to read my next post to discover exactly what it was.

16 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

ARRGGGHHH you're killing me! UNFAIR that you had to leave this post like that. :-((( *grumpy* HE HE HE HE...

So I'm not going to comment on anything until you've posted the next one. :-)))

However, I'm glad that you had a day off anyway. It's always good to have a day off. :-D

Nick Phillips said...

Arrrggghhh! I have to agree with Amel on leavig us hanging like this ... LOL!

Oh and I think I have been living on Mars cos I have no idea at all about the character of Carrie Bradshaw and friends ... hehehe!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel (or should I say food lover!)

Sorry to tease you! I'll hurry up and write the next one...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

Maybe SATC is not so popular where you are? Over here every girl (and most men I guess) are familiar with Carrie, her fashion sense, and Mr Big.

Expect my big news very soon!

WaterLearner said...

Huh? ... writing a post like this? You should at least indicate when the next post is going to be up!!

I agree with Amel and Nick ... arrrgghhhhh x 3.

The World According To Me said...

Waterlearner, I apologise for the dramatic suspense! There is so much to write about.
The next post should be up by the end of the week...

Blur Ting said...

Love has found you at last! :-)
You're such a tease and a good writer!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

Hmmm, I wouldn't get your hopes up about me finding love, but something else has occurred. Will write more at the weekend, when I have some spare time.
Hope you are well.

spangleystar said...

Heheheh - I KNOW what it is :o)

Sorry - gloatings not nice but I would also have been going MAD if I didn't know - Knickers you'd better get that post up fast xxx

PS a quote I thought of when leaving THBTP...
When you praised it as charming some asked what you meant but the charm of its presence was felt when you went xxx

bazzie said...

You are SUCH a tease! But then aren't nearly all women teases? (Or maybe that's just my limited experience).

pilgrimchick said...

Love is a great thing, but if people didn't peg their self-worth on whether or not they have partners, I think it would occupy a better place within ourselves and society as a whole. Some of the greatest figures in history never found love, but did great things anyway.

The World According To Me said...

You sure do Spangleystar! He, he, indeed.

Nice quote!

The World According To Me said...

Bazzie

It's just a little tease! All has been revealed now. Hope you had a nice time by the coast.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Pilgrimchick.

Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants. Thanks for your comment. And it's a very valid comment. Love is great. I have love with my family and my friends. And my life is great, even without the love of a great man!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Ohh, I came late, so I read the move before this one, ops.

You will find love, Mr Right is still out there, somewhere, waiting; this I'm certain.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks The Real Mother Hen

When I do, I'll tell you all about it!