Tuesday, 12 May 2009

Who am I?

I was born in England in 1809. Twas the era of widespread invention and discovery. Significant developments in the understanding and manipulation of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, electricity, and metallurgy. Arr, what an exciting century to be born into!
My father and his father before him were greatly respected physicians, and my mothers side of the family built a respectable estate on the basis of Josiah Wedgwood’s successful pottery business. A mere two centuries since my passing, I have drifted along many antique shops and gazed at many Wedgewood products. Products which have left me flabbergasted to their retail price. But it seems the keen collectors think nothing of parting with their hard earned cash for such beauties of the past.
I was a natural thinker and explorer. I traveled the fearious and the calm seas, I studied at Edinburgh University and I published books on my discoveries.
In my life time I presented the world with compelling evidence of evolution. My passion was natural science and my five year voyage on HMS Beagle established me as an eminent geologist, my observations and theories supporting Charles Lyell’s uniformitarian ideas.
I packed as much as I could into my life, hungry for knowledge and explanations, intrigued and fascinated to what this world had to offer me and those who would live after me.
Oh and how the world is constantly changing! Technology has succumbed any expectations that I could have possibly imagined during my studies, home and away.
My family home, the place of many of my discoveries, still stands proudly in the rambling Kent countryside. It is open to anyone who wishes to observe and absorb the atmosphere and information. It brings me remarkable joy to look around and see the enthusiasm of the young and the old who visit my dear and beloved home.

Have you guessed who I am yet?

My house.


My garden.


Inside my house.


My family tree.

16 comments:

spangleystar said...

Charles Darwin ?
xxx

The Real Mother Hen said...

Charles Darwin would be my guess... because of the Wedgwood hint :)

Eryl Shields said...

Whilst I have your attention: am I really related to chimps, and if I am why can't I rip a man limb from limb when I need to?

PS, nice house!

Blur Ting said...

Charles Darwin!

The World According To Me said...

You got it one spangleystar. Keep on shining. Can't wait to see you next week.

The World According To Me said...

Hello The Real Mother Hen

The Wedgewood link was a subtle hint! You got it!

The World According To Me said...

Good point Eryl. Some mans limbs are crying out to be ripped.

The World According To Me said...

Top marks Blur!

Bitter Chocolate said...

Hmm... I wouldn't have a clue if I hadn't read the responses of the others, but I'm loving your living room! LOL

Mary Smith said...

I confess, I looked at the other comments to get the answer!:)

shello said...

oh hi there. so much has happened, like, where is that picture of the flying pink elephant on your main page? :D Congrats on your new job!

Amel's Realm said...

Oh, my...what an interesting place to visit!!! :-D I LOVE family trees...would love to be able to trace back my family trees. :-D

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Choc.

How are you you? Must pay you a visit. Hope all is good.

The World According To Me said...

Nothing wrong with that, Mary Smith! Hope you and your family are well.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Shello

Hmmm, I think the flying pink elephant flew away!

Thanks for the congrats.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

It was an interesting place to visit. My friend took her sisters kids but I think they were too young to appreciate it, they ran around the house screaming! We had to bribe them with hot chocolate to quieten them!

Yeah I like family trees too.