Monday, 4 May 2009

My day trip to Belfast

Over the years I’ve experienced my fair share of day trips. Journeys have been meticulously planned via train/car, maps have been studied, places of interest have been thoroughly researched, and brightly coloured sweets, packed full of e numbers, have been bought.
I’ve traveled to different villages, towns, cities and counties for the day. But I must be honest, I have never visited a different country for the day – until last weekend!
Last weekend I took a mini adventure to Belfast, for the day. Mysterious man and I booked our plane tickets a few days beforehand, decided our agenda, and looked forward to our day trip.
On the day of our mini adventure we traveled by taxi to the airport, and chatted away merrily to the cab driver regarding his famous passengers, such as Steve Davis the snooker player, and we discussed his unfortunate and painful gout problem. (Not Steve Davis's gout problem, the taxi drivers. Although Steve Davis could have a gout problem for all I know?) And then we boarded our aeroplane to Ireland.
Once in Belfast we wondered around a farmers market, a shopping centre, admired the city hall and the architecture, and visited the famous murals. We dined in a nice restaurant, drank alcohol in a lively bar, and danced in a local night club, and then boarded our plane back to England. Oh and m.m. had his hair cut in an Irish barbers.
Phew, we packed a lot into one day, wouldn't you agree?

Belfast City.


Belfast architecture.


Belfast City Hall.


Belfast mural.


Belfast mural.

21 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Phew! All that in one day? I remember how everything was so exciting when I first fell in love. All the interesting places to discover together... Enjoy these wonderful joyful days!

Krystle said...

That was surely a great day trip...You managed to fit in a lot of activities and visited interesting places. I haven't been to Ireland yet, but it's on my 'places to visit' list :)

Unfortunately from where I live, in Malta, we don't have much options of going on day trips because of the problem of distance and Malta being an island, except to the Island of Gozo (only 20 minutes away by ferry) and Sicily (around 30 minutes away by plane). I wish I could go on day trips more frequently though!

Nick Phillips said...

Sounds like you had a great time :D And lovely pictures too ...

Eryl Shields said...

I haven't been on a proper day trip for at least a year if not two. Now I want to go to Belfast!

jyankee said...

Wow..so close and so accessible! And so much better with mystery man!

Eryl Shields said...

There is an award for you to pick up over at my place.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

Yah, all in one day! It's nice to go exploring with someone!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Krystle

We certainly made the most of our day trip.

Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

I could get use to these day trips! And the sun shone for us. Well, it rained when we were drinking in a bar, but we didn't care by that point!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

I think you're due a day trip! I recommend Belfast, although seeing the murals and hearing about all the troubles was heavy going.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Yyankee

Yeah, everyone should have a mysterious man!

The World According To Me said...

Eryl, I love my award. Thank you! Let's eat more cheese.

Eryl Shields said...

I had a long distance, over the phone, cheese and wine party with my best friend the other night. We were both alone in our respective houses and had the best possible time, cheese eating has no barriers!

Leigh Russell said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and hope you find lasting happiness with your mystery man. I think you have to welcome him back. After all, he did come back. And in any relationship you have to do your best and hope for the best. It's all any of us can do, for about the first 30 years in a relationship. I'll have to let you know what happens after that...

Amel's Realm said...

Beautiful trip and yeah, you did pack quite a lot! Glad to hear you've had GREAT fun together! :-D

Oh yeah, and THANKS for the beautiful pics! They make me wanna visit the place, too he he...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

I like your style! And you're correct, cheese eating has no barriers!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Leigh

30 years?! That's a long time. I'm always hoping for the best...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

Thanks for your comments. Must pay you another visit. Glad you liked the pictures.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Oh it sounds so wonderful :)
And I love your adventurous spirit!

The World According To Me said...

Hello The Real Mother Hen

There's nothing like a good adventure!

Amel's Realm said...

Btw, I've got a job interview on Monday. Wish me luck! :-D