Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Record breaker

I have broken a personal record. I have not intentionally broken this record. I have not set out with the sole purpose of accomplishing something I have never accomplished before. It has not been a personal mission. I did not wake up one morning and decide to do it.
It just happened.
Last week I met a vast amount of people. I can safely say that I have never, in my entire life, met as many people as I met last week.
I broke a personal record!
I guess working in a new environment meant it was inevitable that new people would enter my life.
I’ve lost count how many times, in the past week, I have been introduced to a stranger.
I’ve shaken hands.
I’ve smiled.
I’ve said “Hello,” politely.
I've listened to strangers' names and occupations.
I've made small talk.
I've had long, intense, conversations.
I've laughed and asked questions.
I've forgotten strangers' names.
They’re an interesting bunch in my new office. There’s a designer who is also an extra on film sets, and he's appeared in films such as Gladiator and First Knight. There is an editor who has published books and appeared on television chat shows. There are scarily intelligent researchers who discuss formulas in the way I would discuss what I ate for dinner last night. There are tall people, small people, quiet people, loud people. At lunchtime I sit with a girl whose sister’s best friend is a reality television star, a star who is tragically dieing of cancer and her face constantly features in the national newspapers. I also sit with a guy who insists on relating a tennis fact every lunchtime, and fantasising about opening a restaurant selling purely boiled eggs, whilst dressed as an emu.
I’ve participated in meetings with suppliers and managers and other valuable members of the company. I’ve taken the grand tour around the warehouse and met the warehouse staff. I’ve had an induction day with other new colleagues, and the HR manager, and had team bonding sessions (I’m going to hobby craft Friday lunchtime with one of the girls I bonded with). I have met men from Denmark and women from Cambridge. I have met the project team, the branding manager, and I have attended a data projection course and met yet more people.
And then guess what happened next? One night, on my journey home from the office, I joined my friend for champagne at a bar in the city. It was her birthday and she was out celebrating with her colleagues. Yes folks, it was introduction time again!
I shook hands.
I smiled.
I said “Hello,” politely.
I listened to strangers' names and occupations.
I made small talk.
I had long, intense, conversations.
I laughed and asked questions.
I forgot strangers' names.
I have now met most of my friend's colleagues too.
I am a record breaker.

16 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Oh, but you're so good at that. You're friendly and sociable, you probably enjoy it, don't you?

Dav DiDi said...

Looks like a fun working place you have there .... keep it up ..

Back at my office here, everyone is busy keeping themselves 'safe' and had less time interacting sincerely with people

Bitter Chocolate said...

I have a feeling that there's only a limited amount of people that one can remember - if I meet to many I just erase some of the faces from my memory and when they say hi to me on the streets I go blank :) You seem to be doing great, though!

Amel's Realm said...

OH dear...I think I can't handle it. I mean, if I've met that many people at work, I'll probably stay home during the weekend 'coz I want my "me time". I'm a hermit ha ha ha...Meeting too many new people drains my energy.

Eryl Shields said...

I so need to know more about tennis-egg-emu man!

Nick Phillips said...

I agree with BT, you're so good at that :D I'm really the more anti-social kind of person which makes me wonder why I'm in client service in the first place ... LOL!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

Believe it or not I can be quite shy. As much as I like meeting people I do tend to feel quite nervous! But I think I'm getting better at it!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Dav Didi

Things are going well thanks. So it's safe time in your work place? Be over to you soon.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Chocolate

It can be a very forgetful time when you're meeting new faces and learning new names! A couple of times I've had to ask someone to remind me of someone elses names!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

It has been tiring I must admit. I've been learning new procedures and meeting new people. It's been interesting but tiring.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Ery

What a character hey! I just sit there and laugh at the things he says. It's tennis facts and boiled egg restuarants and emu costumes! I expect next week it will be a different story.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

I do enjoy meeting people, but believe me I have my shy moments and 'me moments' too!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hey it sounded fun :) though it could be very tiring also. I don't know about you, but sometimes after meeting many new people, I feel like I need to hide and stop smiling for a day or two!

Btw, which part of the UK are you at? We'll be around Maiden Heads and Watford (I think) for 3 weeks. Ouch that sounds a bit too much, so I plan to do a bit of traveling - driving down south and up north to see some friends. I may get to see you and we'll smile politely and make small talk together :)

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

So is the emu thing for real, or was he kidding?

Congrats on your news job and super-interesting colleagues!

If I had to remember all those names, I would be in trouble!!

The World According To Me said...

Hello the Real Mother Hen

I know exactly what you mean about hiding for a while!

When are you in the UK? I live in Essex which isn't too far from London. Be good to meet you if you're near by?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Katherine

How are you? I'd like to think he was kidding when he got to the emu part?! Although he does have some funny ideas that entertain us!