Monday, 9 March 2009

Hello, my name is Nikki and it's my first day

Today I was the new girl. Being the new girl can be a very daunting prospect.
The night before my first day as the new girl, with my new black, shiny shoes (yep, I thought the occasion should stretch to new foot wear), I hardly slept a wink. I worried about the most ridiculous things.
Would I get lost on my way to my desk?
Would I forget everyone's name?
Would I have enough clean, smart clothes for one week?
Would I like my new job?
Would everyone like me?
My stomach was tied in knots.
I was anxious.
I was apprehensive.
I had butterflies the size of mountains.
I was nervous.
I was soon to start my new job!
Finally, exhausted from worrying and thinking, I fell asleep.
I awoke to the unfamiliar sound of my alarm clock. It's been a while since I heard the police sirens (I think my alarm clock sounds like a police raid, but police sirens and getting out of bed are both unpleasant situations, so maybe that's the similarity). I reluctantly left my bed, washed, dressed smartly, ate weetabix, and began my journey to my new job.
I allowed plenty of time for my new journey to my new office, for the first day as the new girl. It was just as well because the circle line had severe delays and I would have been very late otherwise. I gave myself a stern pep talk, reminded myself of my publishing experience and enthusiasm, and read supportive texts from friends. Gradually I began to feel less nervous.
I arrived at my new building and headed straight to the reception area and I said, "Hello, my name is Nikki and it's my first day."
And that's how it all began, dear readers.
Next, the HR manager collected me from reception and introduced me to her department. I was then shown to my new desk with my new computer and my new work colleagues.
I barely had time to set up my e-mail and voice mail before I was called into my first meeting with a new fulfillment company. Six of us sat in one of the many meeting rooms, with coffee and chocolate biscuits, and we introduced ourselves to the sales representative from the fulfillment company. Again I heard myself saying, "Hello, my name is Nikki and it's my first day."
I was getting use to being the new girl!
After discussing marketing tools and on-line reports, etc, etc, my new boss and I grabbed a sandwich in the free canteen (that's right, free canteen, handy hey) and we attended the second meeting of the day. This time the meeting was with a new software company and we watched a presentation and asked questions. This was after I explained, again, I was the new girl and it was my first day.
After the second meeting I confirmed three other meetings for this week, five other meetings in the next few weeks, and an induction day for next week.
My first day was over! And it wasn't so bad after all. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. Everyone seems very friendly, the offices are nice, and I'm looking forward to my new duties on my new magazines.

Thank you so much for my congratulation messages. I promise to blog hop tomorrow but I have to go to bed now.
It's tiring being the new girl.

24 comments:

Nick Phillips said...

All the best in your first day :D I'm sure you'll do just fine ...

Magic Torch said...

Thought I'd drop by to see how the first day of your new publishing empire had gone.
Sounds like a busy but good day all round....and the new shoes got you there on time !!
Good work, new girl .

Krystle said...

Glad to hear your first day at the new job went well :) Congratulations for the new job & Good Luck :)

Barry Newsdesk said...

Nice work Nikki. I'm so glad you found something so quickly. You're a recession defying, credit crunch buster.

Free canteen eh!?. Just imagine that, do they have Chocolate Hobnobs?

jyankee said...

Hey at least you have a FIRST day! LOL... Congrats again... and keep it up!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hey glad that it went well, and keep the momentum going, you're going to enjoy your new work/ new environment greatly.

FLRXMAN said...

sounds like everything is falling into place for you, congrats (you deserve it!!!!!!!!!)

Eryl Shields said...

Sounds like you got through your first day with aplomb, well done. There's nothing like shiny new shoes to keep you right!

La Delirante said...

Congratulations on your new job!! Very glad for you!!!

Sorry I haven't been around. Life has just turned really crazy and I barely have any time to blog anymore :(

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Nick. Hope all is good with you. Must pop over and see you, sorry it's been a while...

The World According To Me said...

Magic Torch, are you beaming?

Thanks for your message. New girl, new shoes, new blisters.

Come Dine With Me soon!

Hope you're having fun. Or acting lessons. Ha, ha! Just kidding around...

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Krystle

Hope you're good. Busy with wedding plans?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Barry

Thanks for leaving a message on FPE. How's life been since you left the house? Will pop over to the news desk to see you.

No choc hob nobs I'm afraid! Think Sean ate them all.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Jyankee

Hope you're alright. How's your job? I must blog hop over to you, been so busy recently...

The World According To Me said...

Thank you, The Real Mother Hen.

These comments mean a lot to me.
Hope all is well. Be over soon.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you FLRXMAN

It's nice to have some good news to share and read such lovely comments. How are you?

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl

You're right, shiny new shoes do help. Despite the blisters. Why does that always happen to me?

How's life been treating you?

The World According To Me said...

Thank you La Delirante

Sorry I haven't been about much either. I hope it's been a nice crazy?

Amel's Realm said...

SO HAPPY to hear that (friendly people and that you enjoyed your day)! A pep talk is always good! :-D

Mary Smith said...

Wow! Good for you! It sounds like a great job. Hope you continue to enjoy it!

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Amel.

How are you? I wish there were more hours in the day! I haven't had much time for blogging recently and I'm missing it and my fellow bloggers...

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Mary Smith.

I hope all is good in your world. See you soon...

Amel's Realm said...

Ahhhh...I can understand that you're now so busy. Take your timeeeee then. We'll still be here.

I just posted some pics and video clips when I went downhill skiing with my Big Slider and snow shoes he he...

Today is school day so I'm gonna have breakfast and go! :-D

Blur Ting said...

It wasn't so bad afterall. I think you did very well!