Sunday, 1 March 2009

The Cheshire Cat

If you could see me now, dear readers, you could be forgiven for thinking I resembled a Cheshire Cat. The Cheshire Cat who starred in Alice In Wonderland. The cat with the stupidly large smile. That's me folks!
I haven't bizarrely turned into a cat over night, or jumped into the television screen and joined Disney land, but I do have a smile on my face which would make the Cheshire Cat green with envy.
I have been smiling this gigantic smile since I received a certain telephone call. I was sitting on the train at the time, and after receiving my news I placed my mobile in my bag and smiled at the commuters.
They didn't smile back. What did I expect? There is a distinct lack of happiness on trains. Passengers can look thoroughly miserable, let alone crack a smile. I received blank expressions. But it was fine, I just carried on smiling regardless.
I disembarked the train at my stop and smiled at the crowd on the platform, the impatient crowd who were waiting to board the train. Again I did not receive any return smiles, I was eyed with great suspicion for being so happy. Never mind.
I whistled to myself and exited the train station, still smiling. I entered the nearest shop and bought myself a magazine, I bought my mother the biggest bar of chocolate I could find, and I bought my father a bottle of red wine. I made polite conversation with the sales assistant, still smiling, and I actually received a ghost of a smile back.
I walked along the street, smiling at young children, adults and dogs. I grinned at the flowers, the trees and the blue sky above. To the passing stranger I may have looked a tad mad, they may have thought I was away with the fairies, or the lights were on but nobody was home. I didn't care if I looked slightly unbalanced in the sanity stakes. I was happy. I was smiling.
And do you know why I was happy? Have you worked out the reason behind the smile?
I have a job! Not the job I applied for at the trendy publishers with the unfriendly people, it's better than that. I attended another interview on Wednesday, I was asked back for a second interview on Friday, and while I was travelling home on the train I was offered the job! That is why I resemble the Cheshire Cat in Alice In Wonderland. That is why I am smiling.
9th March is my starting date. It's an engineering publishing company and I shall be a production controller for various technical magazines. And I'm pretty happy about it. I shall be back in the working world. With a regular pay packet and responsibilities. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and facing new challenges.
I have a new job. And a rather large smile on my face.

26 comments:

Bitter Chocolate said...

The new job sounds great! Congratulations!!!

The Real Mother Hen said...

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!

I'm soooo happy for you, way to go Girl! :)

Nick Phillips said...

That is good news indeed. I'd be smiling like a Cheshire cat mysel ... hehehe ...

Congratulations and good for you :D

Krystle said...

WOW That's great news!! I'm so happy for you :) Wishing you all the best in your new job! You had a very good reason to be smiling ;)

WaterLearner said...

All the way!! That calls for celebration!!

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog by chance some weeks ago and read about you loosing your job. As my husband has no job since last april I know what it means. So: Congratulations for the new job from Vienna/Austria.
Brigitte

Eryl Shields said...

This is the best news I've heard all year, congratulations!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks for your congrats Bitter Chocolate!

The World According To Me said...

Hi The Real Mother Hen.

Thank you, I appreciate everyones comments and well wishes. How nice you have all been.

The World According To Me said...

Cheers Nick.

Keep smiling!

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Krystle. It's so nice to share my news and get so much positive feed back!

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Water Learner.

I'm touched by bloggers kind comments.

The World According To Me said...

Hello and welcome to Flying Pink Elephants, Brigitte.

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands job. It's not a great feeling and it can be hard to get back into the working world. But hang in there, don't give up, or get too down, you never know what's around the corner.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Eryl. That's mighty nice of you to say so.

Blur Ting said...

Congrats! You're such a cheerful happy girl, I am smiling as I read your post. It's infectious I tell ya.

Dav DiDi said...

Oh, congrats !!!!! All the best to you .

jyankee said...

Congrats!!!!!!

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

So glad to hear about your new job! Congrats!!

I must have missed something, though. What happened to your old job?

Either way, this one sounds great. And nothing better than freaking people out with a smile!

PS I LOVE "Alice in Wonderland." One of my favorites.

Kate said...

Good Lord! You hardly even gave me a chance to properly mourn the passing of your old job, and now ou have another one! CLEVER YOU!

Amel's Realm said...

Hey, so how did it go today??? :-D I'm SO SO SO HAPPY for youuuuuuuu!!! I KNEW you'd be able to find a job soon he he he...

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Blur.

Glad I made you smile and you felt my happy vibes.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Dav Didi

Hope you're okay.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Jyankee

Just been reading all about your job situation. I wish you all the best with the other company. Fingers and toes crossed that it all comes together.

The World According To Me said...

Katherine, Alice in Wonderland is fab! I love it.

Unfortunately I was made redundant after nearly 10 years working at my old company. But I have a new job now.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Kate.

I hope you're okay. I know you have a lot going on right now. I'm sending you healing vibes.
Take care of yourself.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Amel.

That was really sweet that you remembered when my first day was.

Hope you're enjoying your new home.