Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Three days and three nights

I have not left my house for three days and three nights.
I have never stayed indoors for three days and three nights, other than the time I was bedridden with severe flu.
You may well be asking the reason I have not ventured into the outside world for three whole days and three whole nights. The reason is simple - the snow.
In the UK we've experienced the worst snow fall for 18 years. Oh hang on, I told you a little white snow coloured lie, I've trekked around the garden taking photographs, so I have kind of left the house. You know how I like the look of snow! (See Blanket of snow post.) But it's too cold and too deep and too slippery to go elsewhere. Call me boring but I don't really fancy hanging around the park, falling over, freezing cold snow splattered in my face. And I am certainly not risking driving in these conditions.
Unfortunately we are not well equipped in the UK for heavy snow.
The roads resemble an ice rink. Many roads are closed.
A high percentage of schools have not opened, I can hear the kids still cheering!
Many offices closed for business.
On Monday zero buses ran in London, and the majority of the underground and overground trains were cancelled.
Tuesday was not much better.
Today life is nearly back to normal. But not quite.
On the news the reporters complain the weather has cost the economy billions, and the UK is a laughing stock around the world for not being able to cope with the conditions. We need snow ploughs. We need more grit on the roads. We need a reliable tube system. What we don't need is for the country to come to a stand still when white stuff falls from the sky!
The temperature is dangerously low. I can't bear the cold. I am always cold, apart from when there is a heat wave, which is quite unusual in this country. As I type these words I am wearing two jumpers, jeans and thermal socks, sitting next to the heater, sipping a hot drink and thinking about my hot water bottle. This is a big reason why I have not left my house. It's too darn cold!
Plus I am terrible clumsy. I know I shall fall over and break or twist something. As it is my poor uncle has broken his arm and my cousin's husband has twisted his ankle. So what chance does an accident prone klutz like me have? In the three days I've been house bound I have walked into a drawer and bruised my leg, trod on a pair of scissors and hurt my foot, smashed a bowl in the kitchen, and broken my mothers brush. See what I mean? No wonder I am scared to walk along the snowy, icy streets.
The boredom has not set in though. I am never bored. I am full of ideas and thoughts and things to do. Or books to read and programmes to watch. And things to make.
Over the past three days I have made cards for friends and cards to sell at a car boot sale.
I have nearly finished reading We Need To Talk About Kevin. This book could make you completely rethink motherhood, a real harrowing read.
I have written extracts for my book blog. I'm waiting for it to be approved to make money!
I have watched Ghost Town on DVD, which is an amusing comedy. I have watched Children of Men on DVD, which is very serious drama.
I have looked up friends on facebook, sent emails to friends and spoken to friends via the telephone.
I have watched Agatha Christie mysteries and cookery programmes.
I have read bloggers blogs.
I have found a solicitor and made an appointment for next week, so the solicitor can read and sign my official redundancy letter.
I have surfed the Internet for directions for my photography course next week and surfed the Internet for details of a physic night.
I have also registered my details to attend a publishing seminar.
Oh and I've been actively looking for a job!

I'm actually leaving the house tomorrow. I have to go back to the office for my official redundancy letter. It's been a long drawn out process. Then I'm meeting a friend in the pub. I guess I have to join civilisation at some point. At least I hope it's civilised out there?
I must remember to wrap myself in many layers.
Wish me luck with the roads, pavements, trains and non accidents! I'll let you know how it goes.

Snow in my garden.

20 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

Yeah I got a picture of a parking lot in Maidenhead covered in snow, sent by my sister in law to husband who then forwarded to me.

Of course being a pain in the neck, I took a look and said, "oh, this is nothing"

I'm so mean - yeah I know, but to say, "wow that's so bad" would be equivalent to betraying the snows in Oregon. You know what I mean? Of course by now those folks in Massachusetts would be giving me a dirty look and saying, "nah, snow in Oregon is nothing"...

It goes round and round, till it reduces to zero, I guess :)

I'm not making sense, am I? Ah, just ignore me :)

Blur Ting said...

I've been reading about the snow storm in UK, and they're expecting more to come. I would stay indoors too if I were you. I cannot take the cold. But I see you've been keeping busy. I hope your cards fly off the car boot (shelves). I can hear your cash register going kaching! already. :-) Stay warm.

Eryl Shields said...

It's snowing heavily again here today, but because we have gritters and snowploughs here in Scotland it won't stop me from driving the twenty miles to the university campus for a class thank goodness. If I claimed to be snowed in I'd be laughed at!

The thing is, in the south of England there is no budget for a large team of gritters and snowploughs because snow is rare and it doesn't often get below freezing there, so let people laugh, they don't know what they are talking about.

Glad you're keeping yourself busy, and good luck with the car boot sale, I hope it's warmed up by then!

jyankee said...

I read and saw pics of that! Hope you're ok. Be careful going out tomorrow!!!

Dav DiDi said...

Sound bad ... for us here in M'sia, especially in S'wak, we are hit with the worst flood ever ..

Hundreds of families re-allocate...
There is one street, we call them Indian Street ... businesses losses about 500K in total..
Some of my colleague had applied natural disaster leave as they are stuck at home...

Well, I'm lucky that I didn't had to experience the worst flood ever ..

mary smith said...

Wow! That's a lot of snow. An interesting post to read. It's almost all melted here!

Kate said...

OK, I do have to admit that, especially here in Utah, where the snow piles up around our ears, we...uh...did have a chuckle at your expense. But it was a kindly meant chuckle! I remember being in Manchester in January of 1991. Same thing. Three inches of snow and the country came to a screeching halt. Come to think of it, that WAS the snowstorm 18 years ago! Yeah, I'm old. Sorry to have been gone for a while. I see by scrolling down a little that you have been made redundant. I'm sorry. But I know you'll find another job quickly. Good luck!

Bitter Chocolate said...

I find it kinda funny how Brits are excited about snow... I hate snow, you can have it all LOL

Amel's Realm said...

Hey, let me know your book blog URL! Or have you written it down in an earlier post? Let me check it out later he he...

I have this spiked thingies to wear on the bottom of my shoes when it's slippery outside. VERY safe! I've tried it on very slippery ice! ;-D

Glad to hear you're not bored, though. ;-D We've also had so much snow lately.

The World According To Me said...

Hi The Real Mother Hen.

You're making perfect sense to me.
I guess you could say, there is always someone worse off!

Hope everything is okay with you.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

How are you? You've read about the snow storms, have you read about the floods too?! Flippin' weather.
I expect the sun is shining where you are? Hope all is good.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

You're right, in the south we don't have the budget for the type of snow which may only fall every 18 years! At least I didn't have to go out.

Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

You're right, in the south we don't have the budget for the type of snow which may only fall every 18 years! At least I didn't have to go out.

Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

I'm back and I survived the snow!
Hope all is well in your corner of the world.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Dav Didi

I'm so sorry to read your comment. That sounds awful. I feel bad for moaning about the snow.
Life can really test you sometimes. I do hope the conditions have improved and the authorities have stepped in to do all they can.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Mary

Yep, that was a lot of snow! So yours has melted now?

Hope all is okay. Must pay you a visit soon.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Kate

How are you? How is Simon's knee?

Arr, so you remember the last time we had this much snow!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Bitter Chocolate

How's it going? So you're not a fan of snow?!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

How are you? The spikes sound a great idea. I must admit I was thinking of you and how you must be a pro in these conditions!

So far I've been writing my book reviews and waiting for them to approve my idea. I sent them FPE link too, as a sample of my writing and the traffic I have generated. But apparently if you don't hear back in 7 or 14 days you should send your details again, which I need to do. I'll let you know when it's up and running!

Amel's Realm said...

Ohhhh...OK then do email me once your blog is up and running. I can't wait!!! :-D Hope they approve you SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!