Friday, 20 February 2009

The interview

News flash! Yesterday, Nikki, otherwise known as The World According To Me, otherwise known as Flying Pink Elephants (that's me by the way, he, he), was interviewed for the first time in nearly 10 years.
You may think I have mis-typed the number of years, I haven't. Nearly 10 years is the correct amount of years. That's a long time to be interview free, would you agree? Therefore, maybe you could forgive me for being a little rusty. However, I honestly thought I was well prepared.
I researched the company, I thought of intelligent questions to ask regarding the company. I wrote key words on a piece of paper, from the job description, to throw into the conversation. I investigated the top interview questions and interview advise, which were displayed on various web sites.
I even sat in a coffee shop before hand, staring at my list of interview questions and answers, and I walked around Regents Park with pretend interview situations rattling around in my head. I then popped into the recruitment agencies office and listened to and noted their wise words and handy tips. And I brought a portfolio to the interview, containing the magazines I produced in my last place of employment, and copies of advertorials which I'd laid out with the assistance of InDesign. So you see, I honestly thought I was well prepared.
I arrived at the publishing house fifteen minutes prior to the interview. I sat on the huge black sofa in the reception area and stared at the polished floor boards and the abstract art hanging from the walls. I tried not to stare at the women who walked past and looked as if they had stepped out the fashion pages of Vogue. It was a very trendy company! My scary suit jacket trembled. This time I was not scared of my jacket, it was my jackets turn to be scared. It was scared of its environment and the unknown. I heard a little voice in my head which said, "Can I have my old job back please? With people I know and like. A job I knew and liked." Arrgg. Of all the times for the little voice to appear! I ordered it to go away and strained my ears to hear another voice saying,"New Challenges! New people! I thought you were ready to conquer the world!"
I finished battling with my inner voices, and my two interviewers arrived. I gulped, shook their hands firmly, smiled, made eye contact, and I was led into the lion's den.
It wasn't really a lion's den. It was the boardroom, with the huge brown table.
Dear FPE readers, I have replayed the situation in the boardroom in my head a thousand times, and I'm still confused! I regret to inform you that I left the room feeling deflated. I feared nerves had not allowed me to portray my personality and experience to the highest standard. Now I'm questioning if they'd already seen their ideal employee and I was dismissed before the interview began? Because I did not receive good vibes from them, almost from the beginning. (This added to my nerves!)
Was the person they interviewed before my time slot perfect for the position?
Was I the weakest link?
Did they not like the colour of my eyes?
Perhaps they were sick of the interview process and it had been a long day? The role is for a six months maternity cover, which may lead to a permanent position. The recruitment agency explained to me that the vacancy was filled a month ago. A month later the chosen one found a permanent position, and handed in their notice. The agency warned me the publishing house were not happy about the outcome and feared this may happen again. The agency was right, the publishing house did not seem happy to me.
Or perhaps I just didn't sell myself enough?
Was I too nervous?
Why didn't they ask me more question?
I'll let you know when I've worked it out, or when I receive my rejection letter. Which ever comes first.
It's a cruel, confusing world.
Or is it?!

21 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

Oh lord how I feel for you! There are any number of possible reason's for things not going well, most of them not logical. Perhaps – in the same way you want your old job back – they really just want their pregnant employee back, and so because you weren't her they were too disappointed to make any effort to get to know you.

Nick Phillips said...

I'm sure you did well and they're going to call you with some good news soon. Think positive, that's what I like to say :D Keep us updated, k?

jyankee said...

I think you did ok. It always seems like you didn't do well, but then they surprise you in the end. They just don't want to look too desperate! Let us know how it goes.

Kate said...

It is the worst feeling, I know. But I'm sure you did GREAT! You absolutely did your best, so there's no call for second guessing. If you aren't a good fit, well, OK. You may be surprised, though.

Kate said...

It is the worst feeling, I know. But I'm sure you did GREAT! You absolutely did your best, so there's no call for second guessing. If you aren't a good fit, well, OK. You may be surprised, though.

Amel's Realm said...

Oh dear...don't be too hard on yourself, Nikki! (Hey, nice to have a nickname to call you!) If nothing else, this is a good interview "exercise" (that is IF they don't hire you in the end). I'm sure they were just unhappy because of the hired employee that quit so fast and now they have to find another one to fill in the position. So I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!

The unknown always seems so scary, but don't worry. I'm sure with your experiences you'll be fine in the end. :-))))

The Real Mother Hen said...

Oh waiting for an answer is probably the most difficult time (more so than the interview process, in my opinion) and I sincerely wish you well.

Blur Ting said...

Oh, that sounds nerve wrecking but I'm sure you did well. All the best my friend.

Dav DiDi said...

Anyway all the best to you :)

My last interview is 4 yrs ago... hehe

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

You could have a valid point there. I'll let you know the outcome.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Nick. Positive thinking is something I am normally good at. So I'll try to use it here. Will def let you know when I hear back from them.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Ykankee

Yeah maybe I was too hard on myself? And you're right, I wanted to look keen but not desperate! Watch this space for more information...

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

Yep, let's leave it to fate now. I've done my bit, and if it's the right job for me, I shall be sitting around that huge brown table again.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Amel. It was definitely a good interview exercise, if nothing else! Keep crossing those fingers!

The World According To Me said...

Hi The Real Mother Hen. Thanks for your supportive words. I'm in suspense waiting for their answer!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur.

Thanks for saying that. I'll keep you updated.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Dav Didi.

4 years ago hey, that's quite a while too. Some people are chopping and changing jobs all the time. Personally I like to feel settled.

Krystle said...

My advice is to keep thinking positive, and believing that the right opportunity for you is round the corner...At times, nice and positive things happen when you least expect them to! :)

During the interview of my current job, I ended up defending myself all the time, and I was very angry with them after the interview..but in the end I ended up getting the job! I never imagined I would be the one getting the job, after the hassle I had at the interview!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle.

You're right, positive things do happen when you least expect them. No use worrying other things which are out of your control.

So defending yourself paid off at your interview!

I hope the wedding plans are going okay?

三杯雞Sam said...

徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,抓姦,徵信,徵信社,徵信,抓姦,抓姦,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,外遇,徵信社,,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,錄音,背叛,商標,商標,GPS,離婚

宮保雞丁Alex said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社