Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Eating words

I've had to eat my words. What a peculiar expression, I've had to eat my words. I am picturing myself sitting at the dinner table, with a plateful of brightly coloured words. And what would these words spell? My fork would be prodding the word, "Facebook" and my knife would be slicing the words, "I don't use." That's right, "I don't use Facebook."
Except I do now!
When I first heard about Facebook, I questioned why I would want people I hadn't seen for years poking me or buying me virtual drinks. Who wants to be poked by ex boyfriends or someone you have never liked anyway? Not me thanks! I thought I was far too superior for Facebook and pokes and virtual drinks. I had friends who I saw on a regular basis, I had my beloved blog and my dear blog readers. That was enough for me.
But I became curious. Friends would inform me that photographs from nights out were uploaded on their Facebook wall. Friends would fill me in with tales of correspondence from so-and-so, who they once brushed past in the street in 1999, or so-and-so who they'd sat next to on a bus to Romford Market. Curiously, I found myself wanting to look at photographs on walls. I even found myself enquiring after so-and-so, a random and amusing blast from the past.
Next I found myself setting up an account, so I could have a nose and see what all the fuss was about in Facebook world. Suddenly Facebook fever entered my body and I was messaging all sorts of people and uploading my own photographs on my own wall. I couldn't stop myself! I had the Facebook bug!
This bug was lodged in my brain and in my laptop. Soon I was wondering if anyone had commented on my Facebook status, replying to comments I'd made regarding yogurt lids and other useless topics. Soon I was switching my laptop on and heading straight to Facebook world.
And guess what? Next I was thanking this social network for reuniting me with my own blast from the past. This new world had put me in touch with an old friend.
In my past life, in the flat that time forgot, also known as the house by the pylon, I was very good friends with a girl named Sarah. Sarah and I's partners knew each other and it wasn't long until Sarah I and were enjoying each others company at dinner parties, barbecues, and any old excuse to get together to swap books and drink wine. We certainly had some fun.
One night I dined at her house and decided to dress as a man and pretend I was a man. I even drew hair on my face and legs. I'm not sure why I did this, I just did. One evening, at a wedding reception, I slid across the entire length of the kitchen floor, landed in an undignified heap, had to go to the hospital, and was told I'd sprained my ankle and would be on pain killers and crutches for weeks. We laughed at the time, through my intense pain. But I wasn't laughing when I was stuck in the flat with a foot the size of an obese elephant, and empty food cupboards. Sarah brought me food and cheered me up. Another evening a hair cut went horribly wrong and ended in a bloody mess, I won't go into the details but again it was funny at the time. And how could I forget the trip to the race horses where we spent most of the day in a limousine, drinking champagne darling, and I accidentally dropped my money down the toilet. Oh there were so many happy, silly times. But the silliest thing was not keeping in contact after we both split from our partners and our lives branched out in different directions. Until Facebook brought us back together again.
I saw Sarah the other evening. It was brilliant to see her again. We didn't stop talking and laughing all night. And we boxed and played bowls on Wii. And we swapped books and chatted excitedly about our reading material. And we drank wine and ate pasta and reminisced. I realised how much I'd missed our friendship.
So you see, I've had to eat my words. I do use Facebook now. And do you know what? It's been great.

18 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

Excellent! and you've reminded me that I haven't checked my facebook page in ages which I must do right now.

Bitter Chocolate said...

How did your words taste? :D Facebook is great for getting back in touch with old friends. Seeing pictures of exes making out with their currents though... not so great. Sometimes I hate facebook. But my personality's way too addictive so I keep using it anyway :)

Blur Ting said...

Ah, you can add me now:-) But I am not active there.

Dav DiDi said...

Hehehe.. same like me ... before this, I sign up for facebook for the sake of having one but not using them..

Then lately, was connected with cousins, long lost friends and even hookup with the games...

I really have to get rid of my games mindset of facebook... arghh!

Amel's Realm said...

He he he...Welcome to Facebook!!! Do you want to add me? Just find me through Amelia Listiani he he...I've also met more ex-classmates through FB, so I'm loving it so far! ;-D

Kate said...

You know, I use Facebook a little, but I still like the blogoshpere better.

John has sent you a White Russian! Would you like to send a white Russian to John?

John is sending you bad Karma because you didn't send him a White Russian. Would you like to send bad Karma back to John?

Oooo, yes, please.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

So you're a Facebook user too? I've just checked mine again and now it's blog time. I mustn't neglect blogging!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Chocolate

The words tasted great!

I know what you mean about exes. I keep bumping into one in Facebook world, and his new girlfriend, and I would rather not see him or her! I guess it's a small sacrifice for seeing everyone else...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

I have just added you and your smiley face!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Dav Didi

Wow, it seems all my blogging friends are Facebook users too! Good to hear you've been in touch with old friends too.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

We are now Facebook friends! Good to see you in Facebook world too.

The World According To Me said...

Hell Kate

Arr, bad karma and White Russians, it could only be Facebook world!

Nick Phillips said...

Oh god, I think I'm the only human being on this planet that don't have a facebook account ... LOL!

mary smith said...

I've been thinking about going on facebook too...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

It could be heading that way!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Mary

Well I never thought it would interest me, but it is a fun way of keeping in touch, and tracking down people you haven't seen for a while...

suesun said...

You summed up the whole Facebook thing perfectly. I recently ate my words as well. And now I've also found a new love of chatting on line. More than keeping up with my past, it has been a nice addition the relationships in my present. And, of course, now I don't feel so left out when people start talking about those photos!!!!!! :-)

Congrats on your new job! I lived in Lancaster for a year.... many years ago.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Suesun

Sorry, I've just seen your message.

Thanks for your congrats.

So we've both had to eat our Facebook words!