Saturday, 14 February 2009

The day I went to Syan House

I owe you an apology dear readers. I do hope you haven't been too distressed regarding my well being in the snow. Don't worry, I haven't ran away with a snowman, or had a nasty accident with a super sized, super speeding snowball. And I haven't slipped on the ice, smashed my head, suffered from amnesia and not known who I am or what I'm doing, but as a consequence I will only answer to the name Betty.
Nope, none of these things have happened.
My lack of posts has been due to my Internet connection. It stopped working! I had to re-join my local library so I could continue my employment search via the web. Unfortunately I didn't stay at the library for too long as the gentleman next to me kept passing wind.
My modem is now restored, thank goodness.
Since I have been away from FPE the temperature has risen, the sun has shone, and the snow has melted. Can you guess what occurred next? Rain. Huge dollops of liquid fell from the sky. This meant rivers burst and floods followed. If we are not moaning about the recession in the UK, we are moaning about the weather. (In my next post I shall probably complain that it's too hot, and all the roads and houses have melted into one massive, gooey, grotesque mess.)
The night before my photography course (there is a point to all of this, not just an elaborate weather forecast) I was awake most of the night and morning, listening to the rain pelting against my window pane, dreading walking around the grounds of Syan House in the rain and the mud. I think I must have fallen asleep for the grand total of one hour and thirty seven minutes. I was excruciatingly tired the next day. I left my house, in a sleep deprived daze, fantasising about mugs of steaming hot and extremely strong coffee.
I arrived at Syan House wet and cold and tired, but looking forward to my photography course. I helped myself to cups of coffee, once I was inside the rather grand building, built by Edward Seymour, Lord Protector, between 1547 and 1550. Today it is the London home of the Duke of Northumberland. I perched on a chair, around the enormous polished table, and wrote my name on my name tag. Introductions were made amongst myself and the other 18 attendees, and the slide show began.
Photography is all about creating an image! This is achieved by a number of choices made by the photographer, such as: lens, camera setting, subject and lighting. ISO, white balance, file formats and exposure controls were discussed.
We then had a coffee break and made polite conversation. And moaned about the weather. It's how us Brits bond!
After more slides and more discussions we ate sandwiches and drank coffee. Satisfied with food, drink and information, we walked around the magnificent grounds and the conservatory. This was my favourite part of the day. Despite slipping in the mud, and ducking under trees trying to avoid the rain drops, it was brilliant fun. I was in my element. I could have stayed there forever, adjusting my controls, looking as if I knew what I was doing, snapping away at mould on trees, a smoking tree bark, a pretend squirrel, and other such delightful subjects.
Would you care to look at a selection of my pictures from the day? Here they are below.

Syan House.


The fountain.


The conservatory.


Through the logs.


The statue.


Musa Basjoo.


Pretty scene.


The smoking tree.


Mouldy bark.

18 comments:

jyankee said...

Oh I was worried about you. Glad to see it was just a connection problem and nothing worse! Your pics are pretty good as is... I like the fountain one.

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

How UTTERLY gorgeous! I just love old buildings, castles and what-nots. Of course, I haven't been to a castle in a hundred years. I can't remember the name of the last one I visited--it was some rich guy's version of a European one, anyway. We don't have many castles here in the good 'ole USA.

Glad you are okay! No modem...I don't know how your survived. Glad you did.

FLRXMAN said...

hi love, you would have made a mighty fine Betty but happy you are ok.

Nick Phillips said...

Glad to read that you're okay :D Lovely pictures. Ive always loved castles :D

Blur Ting said...

Ah, thank goodness you're back! We missed ya. Good to know you're well. This time I'm the clumsy one. I walked into my glass sliding door and ended up with a painful face and body!

And thanks for the lovely photos too.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Wow, there are some nice shots you have there.

I chuckled when you said the Brits bond by moaning about the weather, that's funny. Well, I'm sure at one point in the conversation, someone must have used the word "dreadful" to describe the weather too :)

The World According To Me said...

Hello Jyankee

I'm back! Glad you like the fountain picture. I took 220 pics! So that was just a small selection!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Katherine

You can't beat a castle! It was very grand inside, but cold!

I don't know how I survived without a modem either!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Flrxman

Just call me Betty! Lover of reality television.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

I'm fine thanks. Glad you like the pics. Be over to you in a jiffy.

The World According To Me said...

Ouch Blur! Are you okay? Hope it wasn't too painful.
I've missed reading your blog.

The World According To Me said...

Hello The Real Mother Hen

Oh yes, dreadful has been one word to describe the weather!

Krystle said...

Welcome Back!! I really missed your posts and your photography! bdw great pics..:)

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle!

I hear you have your dress. How lovely.

Wenny said...

Syan House looked like a majestic castle. Your photographs looked so professional. Are you sure you are still taking lessons?

Dav DiDi said...

I'm laughing in my office when I read the "man passing wind" ... :)

Anyway, nice photos ...

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Wenny. I am still very much an amateur!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Dav Didi

It wasn't very pleasant!