Thursday, 1 January 2009

There is always tomorrow

On the first day of 2009 I jumped out of bed. (Actually that's a big fat lie, I never jump out of bed. It's more of a reluctant, zombified stumble into the unknown.) I then yanked back my curtains to inspect the atmosphere.
Were the bare trees and the semi bare trees shaking? Was the man in the duffel coat suffering from severe difficulties trying to walk in a straight line? Nope, this did not appear to be the case.
Strange. Everything seemed to be exactly the same. The outside world looked still and normal to me. Maybe I was half asleep. I rubbed my eyes and shook my head. I peered through the window pane again.
The leaves on the ground were not whirling around at a million miles an hour, and the children walking hand in hand did not look as if an invisible force was pushing them along the road. Hmmm.
Next I gazed at my reflection in the mirror. Perhaps the changes had already taken place whilst I was peacefully sleeping? Was my skin clear and olive coloured, with a healthy, shiny, glow? Erm, no. I could safely say it was not. Not after the new years eve wine.
Did my eyes sparkle youth and vitality? Sadly the answer again was no. Not without my contact lenses they didn't.
Had my hair turned a shade of sage green?
Was my room a dazzling buttercup colour?
Could it be possible that I had grown five inches and outgrown my spotty pyjamas?
I was getting desperate now!
Myself and the outside world had not changed at all. Not one single change had taken place. This wind of change had not visited me in the night, it was not outside my bedroom window. And it was certainly not inside my bedroom now.
Where was it? I could have sworn it was heading my way? Sigh. How wrong could a girl be?
So I decided to go back to bed. Wrap my duvet around me and safely re visit dream land.
Maybe the wind of change is coming tomorrow?
Yes, there is always tomorrow.

20 comments:

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Let's hope tomorrow doesn't turn your hair green! LOL!

Aren't you glad things don't change THAT fast? I know I am. I can't keep up as it is.

Bitter Chocolate said...

I'm always SUCH a zombie in the morning... so I hear you :) Happy New Year!

Blur Ting said...

Haha, I know what you mean! I was expecting to see some changes too but everything is still the same here.

Nick Phillips said...

I'm sure the changes will come by slowly but surely and they'll all be for the good :D Happy New Year my friend ...

FLRXMAN said...

Just think how great it was to be able to crawl back into the warm bed and shut out the world…..as long as that is an option, I say change can wait a day or two

The World According To Me said...

Hi Katherine

Yeah, maybe green hair is not the look I am hoping to achieve!

And I've got all year for these changes!

The World According To Me said...

Snap, Bitter Chocolate! Two zombies together.

Happy New Year to you too.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

Maybe we need to be more patient? They do say, all good things come to those who wait!

The World According To Me said...

Happy New Year Nick.

It's going to be a good one, I can feel it. And there's nothing like positive thinking!

The World According To Me said...

Hello flrxman

I love crawling back into bed and shutting out the world. I'm rather good at it! Yeah, changes can wait!

Eryl Shields said...

Only weird people 'jump' out of bed. I, myself, stagger, just a little.

Perhaps the wind of change is really more of a gentle breeze so you don't really notice it.

Best for 2009.

The Real Mother Hen said...

This is a really good post and I'm glad that I finally got here to read it.

Talking about change, well sistah, I'm still hoping that I can change my husband :) ok, that's called wishful thinking!

Krystle said...

Happy New Year!! Wishing you all the best, and Good Luck for the new challenges and new things in life which will come along! :)

Amel's Realm said...

Well, I didn't feel anything on my birthday or New Year. But that means I don't feel that I've added one year HI HI HI HI HI HI...

La Delirante said...

Fantastic post! I loved reading it :) Sometimes I feel the same way you know about this idea of marking certain times and dates trying to make them look special... :) well, I guess in a way they are but why exactly? am not so sure. I guess it is more symbolic than anything else :) 'cause I didn't see any major changes when comparing the 31st of December and the 1st of January...it doesn't seem to me like this is a better world...yet...at least not till now...I just had to switch on the telly and have a look at the news and confirm that unfortunately for many people in the world life just goes on the same way...but there is always hope :) Sorry for writing so much. Cheers and all the best for 2009,

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

Yep, only weird people jump out of bed.

I can cope with a gentle breeze. For now.

All the best to you too.

The World According To Me said...

Hello mother hen.

Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

He, he, does your husband know about the wishful change?!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle!

I wish you great things in 2009. Cheers, all the best, here's to health and happiness.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Nope, me either! Oh well. Maybe we're not ready for change yet and it's not all it's cracked up to be?!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks La Delirante.

We must never give up hope! Here's to a better year. I wish you great things, and health and happiness.