Wednesday, 21 January 2009

My security blanket and the contents of my wardrobe

My security blanket was rudely ripped from my grasp.
One moment I was wrapped in a cocoon of security, and the next moment I felt naked and abandoned. I was tossed into the chasm of unemployment, unready to embrace the world of statistics.
I didn't realise I was such a creature of habit until I was forced to change my routine, my life, my universe.
Of course I am aware the sun has not stopped shining, the birds have not stopped singing, and the earth has not stopped revolving, but for a short space of time everything seemed dark and uncertain.
Now I can see the light.
I can see windows of opportunity.
I can see new adventures over the rainbow.
I have bounced back with vengeance!
I'm still unemployed. I'm just looking at things through a different perspective.
I returned to the office last week, to empty the contents of my drawers, wondering how I managed to accumulate so many piles of books, videos, magazines, food, stationery, etc, etc. I cleared the files on my Apple Mac and deleted my trash, it was as if I'd never existed!
But it was okay, I'd accepted my fate. It was time to conquer new challenges and move on. I said my goodbyes and walked out the door, carrier bags bulging with the drawer contents.
Maybe I needed a shove in the right direction. Maybe my security blanket needed to be unravelled and disregarded.
You've heard the expression as one door closes, another one opens. Well, I'm peering through this open door with my CV in one hand, and a list of recruitment agencies in the other, with a hopeful smile and a brand spanking new attitude.
I've applied for two other jobs since I left the office, loving the sound of both of them, and I have other money making ideas rattling around in that head of mine.
Huh, who needs security blankets.
It's a big world out there and I'm ready to face it.

12 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

As they say: Go Girl!!!

Nick Phillips said...

That's the attitude woman :D All the best. I'm sure something good will come your way.

Blur Ting said...

You go girl! I like your spunk.

Amel's Realm said...

ATTA GIRLLLL!!!!! ;-D In this post, I can almost hear you say: "ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE! That's my priority!" HE HE HE HE...

Dav DiDi said...

Hi, back in my hometown here, we are going to celebrate cny this coming Monday ...

So...Happy CNY and Happy 2009!! May you wish & resolutions achievable this year... :)

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl! I'm Going!

The World According To Me said...

Cheers Nick.

I will keep you updated, of course!

Happy weekend.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Blur.

For someone who is out of work I've been pretty busy and full of ideas and optimism!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Attitude is the answer. Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Dav Didi

Happy CNY! I wish you all the best.

The Real Mother Hen said...

And I wish you all the best.

Things will be well. Yes they will be. Because you have such a positive vibe inside you.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks The Real Mother Hen. Nice of ya to say so.