Sunday, 4 January 2009

My day in pictures

I literally groaned. And then I shivered. It was far too early and cold to roll out of bed. But I had to, today was the day for the photography club walk in the nature reserve.
My friend Eve texted me, "It's freezing! I can't believe we are doing this!"
"It's too early!" was my reply.
My friend Eve came to the walk too, and she dressed herself in nearly as many layers as I.
We all met in the car park of the nature reserve, hardly recognisable in our hats, gloves, scarves, coats, and any other items of clothing we could lay our hands on. And we all complained about the temperature.
Off we strolled, rubbing our hands together, stamping our feet, and telling each other how cold we were. Oh, have I mentioned it was freezing today?!
Apparently over 250 species of birds have been recorded on the reserve, up to 100 of which may be seen on a single day in Spring. Over 500 species of invertebrates have been noted, including carder bumblebees and the scarce emerald damselfly. There are also over 200 flower and plant species, including golden dock, marsh dock and divided sedge.
I must admit, it's not the prettiest place I have ever been to, and I think the birds must have fled to warmer climates. Or perhaps they were still asleep in their nests, snuggling up to their hot water bottles? At least we saw a few boats, scattered along the horizon.
Crikey, it must have been cold on those boats.

The moody sky at the nature reserve.


The river.


A boat.


Eryngium thistles (I think).


After the walk I went home to thaw myself in front of the fire.
My hands and face had turned an alarming shade of pink.
My fingers were in danger of loosing all sense of sensitivity.
I could no longer feel my ears. They were numb. I had to find a mirror to check they were still attached to my head, and hadn't dropped off and landed amongst the bull rushes. Phew, one look in the mirror confirmed I still had ears.
Once I'd defrosted and read the Sunday newspapers cover to cover, I set off to meet my friend Chamelle for lunch. A quaint countryside pub, with a few ducks outside, was our chosen meeting place.
We laughed and ate and drank. And it was lovely and warm inside the pub.

Quack, quack.


Pub lunch finished, appetites satisfied, and laughter shared with my friend Chamelle, I visited my friend Eve's 10 week old puppy, Bovril.
I got mighty attached to him. He was pretty attached to his toy. Isn't he cute!

Bovril.

10 comments:

jyankee said...

After all your hard work... I love the last pic of that little pup! Ha ha ha... we went ice skating yesterday too...at the foot of Mt Fuji... couldn't feel my face or anything else either for the first 30 minutes in the car! I feel for ya!

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

The pub lunch sounds warmer, but the cold pic-taking adventure sounds more interesting! What's that building I see in the background?

Sometimes I think they put preserves in some ugly, industrial places because that is where we need the most preservation. The only problem is if you preserve too close to the nuclear plant, your birds and fish glow. So much for preservation.

Blur Ting said...

Oh, Bovril looks like a toy! Heh heh, I would panic if my ears fell off! I salute your courage in going out so early in the cold!

Eryl Shields said...

You are a better woman than me, there's no way I'd have gone out on such a morning unless I had absolutely no choice. Great pics. Very cute dog and I love his name.

The World According To Me said...

So do I Jyankee! I think the last pic was the best pic. I was a little disappointed with the nature reserve. And the weather!

Ice skating sounded like fun. I can imagine how cold your face felt though!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Katherine

I know it sounds ignorant, but I'm not too sure what the building is in the back ground?

It was quite ugly, industrial scenery. And nearly every time I wanted to snap a scene, I could see an electricity pylon in the distance!
Hmmm. Preserving and nuclear, where's the logic in that?!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

Oh, believe me, Bovril is very cute! And like a little toy himself! I wanted to smuggle him home with me.

Luckily I still have my ears.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

It was hard work getting out of bed. Harder than normal.

Unusual name isn't it. I can't wait to see him again.

The Real Mother Hen said...

oh, nothing beats a good english pub lunch, good company, and (for me) plenty of gossips! gosh I can have one of that right now! :)

The World According To Me said...

You hit the nail on the head, The Real Mother Hen!
It's a great way to spend the afternoon.