Thursday, 29 January 2009

Let's go mad in the aisles. (Catch phrase from Supermarket Sweep - A game.)

Hands up if you like to play games. Are you waving your hands furiously into cyber space? Or are they firmly placed on your lap, the thought of games are making your hands shake and your bottom lip quiver?
I am partial to a game or two, and I participated in a couple last Sunday. Last Sunday a friend and I cooked an enormous and spectacular (if I do say so myself) Sunday roast. Roast chicken, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, yorkshire puddings, sausages, and mushroom stuffing.We did not go to bed hungry!
After dinner the games began!I brought a box to my friends house which I purchased the other morning. The other morning my mother and I visited a local department store for breakfast and for a snoop at the sales. Crafty bits were selling for a fraction of their original prices, and I snapped up various crafts for my card making - car boot sale in a few weeks and I'm planning on selling my cards for extra cash. Then I spied the games in the toy department.
Memories came flooding back to me. Memories of my grandma and I sitting around the kitchen table for hours at a time, playing Donkey, Beat Your Neighbours, Whot, Othello and Dominoes. There was a time in my life, before George Michael and wine, when my world revolved around games. How simple life was back then. Redundancy was merely a word in a dictionary and not something I had ever experienced. A Broken Heart and Debts were words I'd heard, but their true meaning meant nothing to me. Life was one long and fun game. If I was wasn't playing Donkey with my grandma, I was indulging in Ghost Castle, Cludeo and Monopoly with my friend Tracey and her brother Kevin.
But back to last Sunday. Last Sunday's game involved creating objects out of play dough, drawing items, acting out scenes and word association. Oh how we laughed. Have you ever tried making a snorkel out of play dough? It's tricky!
Then we decided to invent our own game. We were discussing acting and wondering how hard it could really be, pretending to be someone else, travelling to glamorous locations, meeting Brad Pitt, and being paid for your trouble!
Please note I am moulding myself into every job available at present, convincing myself that I can do anything. "How hard can this acting lark be,"I heard myself saying to my friend.
So, we both wrote five personality traits on five pieces of paper and placed them in a bowl. Next we wrote 5 situations and placed in another bowl. We took it in turns to close our eyes and choose a personality and a situation. The chosen person and chosen scene was to be acted out for one minute only. At the end of that minute the other person had to take an intelligent guess as to who you were and what you were doing.
Have you ever tried pretending to be John Travolta searching for frozen peas in a supermarket? Without using the word peas or John Travolta? Have you ever tried to be a supermodel with OCD ordering a bed? No, neither had I until Sunday.
And let me tell you this acting lark is not as easy as it looks. Congratulations Brad Pitt and Robert De Niro, you make it look so simple. It's not.
I think I shall stick to playing dominoes in the future.

16 comments:

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Donkey, huh? I've never heard of most of those games. Are they British?

On another note...you've been tagged!

You are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged.

Amel's Realm said...

WOW! Sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!! But it sounds TOUGH to try those acts. Gee whizzzz he he he...

I don't remember ever playing with my grandmas, though I remember playing A LOT with my neighbours and cousins he he...

Eryl Shields said...

That game sounds great, I'm going to try it with my husband over the weekend!

Blur Ting said...

Wow, you invent your own games!? I remember playing Donkey and Family as a kid.

Nick Phillips said...

*Waving hands furiously in cyberspace*

I love games :D And it's cool that you invent your won games. Maybe you should market it. I'll be the first in line to buy one :D

Bitter Chocolate said...

ROFL John Travolta searching for frozen peas in a supermarket? That sounds too too funny :D How did you manage to portray that? :)

La Delirante said...

Hehehehe, sounds like fun :) No, I have never tried that of John Travolta LOL :)

I love Cluedo :) I still play it a lot with friends as in winter here it rains a lot and it is nice to have activities indoors :) We are also playing Pictionary a lot and Trivial Pursuit :)

mary smith said...

Now I have some ideas for my next shopping trip!:)

The World According To Me said...

Hello Katherine

I haven't seen Donkey for years but it was a card game and the main point of the game was to get rid of the donkey card!

Like your tag. Will get writing.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

How are you? We had a fun, although it wasn't the easiest game to play!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

How are you? Did you try the game out?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

So you played Donkey too? Snap! Or is that another game?!

Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Good thinking Nick! I like your style. I could earn my fortune by inventing games!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Chocolate

How are you? It was tricky! But very funny! The funniest thing was when the other person actually guessed correctly!

The World According To Me said...

Hello La Delirante

How are you?

I love Cludeo and Pictionary! And TP I have played a fair few times.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Mary

You'll be going mad in the aisles!

Hope all is okay with you.