Monday, 12 January 2009

Eric The Banana Man, and friends

Do you remember Eric The Banana Man? Bettlejuice? Adam Ant? Can you see the connection I am making? It's the 80's! The decade of bright colours, leg warmers and shoulder pads. And a man dressed as a banana. Or as I have often said, the decade that fashion forgot.
I literally cringe when I think of the fashion disasters I used to wear in the 1980's. Clashing psychedelic colours, blue mascara and a perm which looked as if I had placed my finger in a light socket. How could I have left the house looking like that? How could I have let myself be seen in public wearing red suede pixie boots, pink lacy tights, a blue knitted skirt, and a green silk blouse? All in one day?! Did I not possess a mirror? Had the chemicals in the perm played tricks with the logical part of my brain? The logical part which should have screamed, "No! Don't do it! Go back to your wardrobe and change immediately. Otherwise you will regret this in the future!"
Maybe that's why I stuck to a simple black dress on Friday night. Then again, it was a last minute invitation so I didn't have long to think about my outfit.
My friend's friend held an 80's house party, and I was impressed with the effort everyone made, apart from my friend and I. Our forfeit for not dressing up was to start the karaoke. We didn't really mind after a glass of wine, yelling the lyrics to wake me up before you go-go. Well, did you expect me to sing anything other than Wham!?
We were surrounded by Jessica Rabbit, Madonna, and Eric The Banana Man, to name just a few of the guests. A sliver glittery ball dominated the dance floor and 80's music blasted out of the speakers. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Modern Romance and Wham! I didn't think much of the 80's fashion but it was responsible for some good, happy tunes.
"I love this one!" followed by, "I remember this one!" could be heard above the racket and in between party goers waving their yellow bangles and fingerless gloves. Next to the karaoke machine the table was smothered with flying saucers, cheese and pineapple, sweets long forgotten, and a chocolate fountain. Yum, yum!
It was the ideal place to loose myself in tasteless clothes, cheesy music and unhealthy food.
Just what a girl needs to forget all her troubles! Hmmm. Maybe the 80's weren't so bad after all.

20 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

You mean bright colours, leg warmers, and shoulder pads no longer in fashion now? No wonder people still stare at me whenever I go out! :)

This post is funny. And it makes me wanna throw an '80s party too.

Blur Ting said...

Yes, Mother Hen should throw a party and we'll all go! I'll stick my finger in the socket to get a perm first.

jyankee said...

Oh man... 80's rock! Those were definitely the days...oh you could've gone for the Madonna look and gone leather and lace??? LOL

The World According To Me said...

Hello The Real Mother Hen

He, he, well I'm still partial to bright colours. I have a few bright green and bright red tops!But I tend not to wear my whole clashing wardrobe at once now!

I recommend an 80's party for the fun factor!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blurting

I'll stand behind the socket and do mine next! Then back comb it and put sun-in on it to make it orange! I also used to wear huge blue lacey bow in my hair!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Jyankee

Looking back it would have been fun dressing up, and I think I would have based myself om Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan. But I didn't have much time to think about it or do it, so a boring black dress it was!

Nick Phillips said...

Hey, if anyone throws an 80's party, make sure I'm invited ... hehehe ... I so live for the 80's :D

Amel's Realm said...

Ummm...I remember Beetle Juice, but dunno about the others.

The party sounds FUN! ;-D I also cringe when looking at my fashion disaster pics back in my teenage years hi hi hi...

Eryl Shields said...

80s fashion was pretty bizarre, we had to have those big perms to compensate for the head shrinking effects of those enormous shoulder-pads.

Glad to hear you are still having fun.

Blur Ting said...

I love that new flower picture on your header! So bright and gorgeous!

FLRXMAN said...

that sounds like a blast, I think I will have an 80's party this weekend

WaterLearner said...

Wow .. I love songs from the 80's as well! Wake me up! Before you go go!!!

I am quite a bore. For parties, I always stick to the usual. If the crowd is too big or full of people I don't know, I would politely reject.

The World According To Me said...

Nick, if I receive another invite I will chuck one your way!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Bettlejuice, Bettlejuice, Bettlejuice! I remember you should never say it 3 times! Whoops, I just have.

I cringe too!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

I like your theory!

Hope all is well with your tiny keyboard.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Blur. I decided it was time for a new one.

The World According To Me said...

Flrxman, an 80's party at the weekend is a great idea! Who will you dress as I wonder?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Waterlearner

How are you doing?

I love Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go! 'Cos I'm not planning on going solo...!

Leigh Russell said...

But wasn't it fun?! Not like now we've all become sensible...

A pink elephant just flew past my window and I thought of you.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Leigh

How are you? How is the writing coming along?

There are more flying pink elephants about than you realise!