Thursday, 8 January 2009

Be careful what you wish for

Please note, when I referred to The wind of change, I also distinctly remember stating that I did not wish for any uncomfortable out of the blue changes.
No thank you! Out of the blue uncomfortable changes were not welcome. They were the least welcome changes of all. In fact, it would be correct to say, they were as welcome as a highly infectious and disastrously deadly disease.
Unfortunately, I regret to inform FPE, out of the blue uncomfortable changes are exactly what happened to me at 3pm on Tuesday 6th January 2009.
It started off as a normal working day. I was sitting at my desk, in the office, doing production things.
The telephone rang.
I answered it.
It was the publisher calling from the meeting room.
He wanted to see me.
"The publisher wants to see me," I nervously informed my boss. I recognised the seriousness in his voice, and alarm bells were eerily ringing in the back of my (often as messy as spaghetti) head.
"I'm sorry," was my bosses reply.
My heart sank to the carpeted floor.
My legs started to shake with uncertainty.
I walked the walk of doom, down three flights of stairs, to the meeting room. I opened the door and the publisher met me with an apologetic look, and the HR manager was sitting next to him with an envelope in front of her. My time was up!
I sat down and the publisher began to talk. Words were coming out of his mouth, and they must have made sense to him, they must have formed perfectly acceptable sentences. But all I could do was sit and stare at him, and muster all the will power I had, so that I wouldn't violently shake or burst into an embarrassing flood of tears.
The HR manager passed me the envelope and said I was not expected to stay in the office after the shock, I was to go home and come back at ten thirty the next day to discuss matters further.
I walked out of the meeting room. I wanted to wake up and discover it was all a bad dream. It wasn't. I was wide awake and it was as real as my appreciation for George Michael - now that's what I call real!
I walked into the toilets and burst into tears.

So that was my last day in the office. After nine years it all ended with a conversation I can't remember and an A4 envelope.
In the envelope were internal vanacies, but nothing suitable for me. There were also details of my redundancy pay out. Well, all I can say is, at least I was employed for nine years and I wasn't a newbie. The payout will certainly help clear my debts, which was my biggest worry when I sat in that meeting room.
Now it's just the small matter of finding another job in the current, on the verge of a recession, climate.
I went back to the office the next day for my meeting, and then for lunch with my boss and my work colleague and friend. How very apt that our last supper was in a bar/restaurant where we have enjoyed many office lunches and parties. And the menu only had about 3 choices and the heating was not turned on, because the waiter explained it was their last day of trading. The solemn lunch and venue perfectly matched our moods.
Apparently the atmosphere in the office now resembles a grave yard. A guy working for editorial has also been made redundant. My boss is wondering how the heck she is suppose to cope without me, and the editorial director is wondering how he is suppose to survive without his side kick. We heavily suspect the whole department is heading for closure.
After the meeting and lunch with my boss and colleague, I walked around pondering what to do with the rest of my life. I took photographs and almost forgot my predicament.

I might not be around for a while, I have a CV to type, agencies to visit, websites to scan, and a new career to find.
Then again, I might have heaps of time on my hands. I may be writing constantly about my jobless life.
You have been warned.

Liberties.


Regent Street.


The Tower of London, near the underground.


My kind of libray.


The red London telephone box which is now black.

21 comments:

Angsana said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about yor sad news. I know that it may not be any comfort, but hope that what they say about "one door closes and another one open" will hold true for you. Good luck,my dear!

The Real Mother Hen said...

I'm very sorry to hear this. I read it, re-read it, and re-read it... till the words bit into my flesh and bled. I wanted it to be a dream too.

If you feel the wind today, that's me sending good luck and wishes to you. *hug*

Nick Phillips said...

Gee, I'm truly sorry to hear that. It sucks! I could hardly believe what you wrote and though I read it twice, it still sucks all the same.

But don't despair, ok. You'll find a new job pretty soon. After all, you did say you're not a newbie and you have loads of experience to back you up.

Here's wishing you all the best in your future and please do keep us updated, ok?

Blur Ting said...

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this, I feel almost in tears now. But hey, you're got a payout, take a short break and maybe something good will happen out of this. I got laid off in my publishing job about 20 years ago and didn't even get my salary, I had to go to the ministry to claim against the employer.

You're a positive girl with a great attitude, you'll find youself a good job in no time at all! Keep your spirits up.

jyankee said...

That really sucks...I couldn't believe what I was reading!...But keep up your spirits...hopefully you can find something you really like...that's scary...I've been at my company for almost the same, but we don't know who'll be next...

spangleystar said...

Every cloud Darling...
There's good to come out of this you wait and see - at last the chance to follow your dreams and clear a few bits up!
Bright gal like you won't be out of work for long and this time a blank canvas, the chance to reinvent xxx

Eryl Shields said...

Ye gads will this never end! I'm so sorry for you, and as you know, I know how you feel. But it's true what most of your other commenters have said you will bounce back. I mean look at you, young, beautiful, talented, experienced...

Krystle said...

I'm so sorry to hear this!:( I wish you luck in job hunting..I'm sure you'll find a job you really like soon..maybe you could look at the positive side of things by doing the things you enjoy doing in the meantime..take care

La Delirante said...

I just don't know what to say except that I am sorry to hear about the bad news...It is so schocking that I am still shocked as well...

Last year the department where I worked closed down and the day before I had moved to my new flat (mortgage) and I just couldn't believe it when my ex-boss was telling me about it...Luckily I was transferred but I still remember the shock...

As Nick said however, don't despair and hopefully you will find a new job pretty soon.

It is good that they gave you the redundancy pay out.

Good luck and best wishes,

Amel's Realm said...

Oh dear...I'm VERY VERY sorry to hear this. :-(((( My heart sank as I kept on reading your words...

GOOD LUCK in finding another job...and hey, while doing that you can start making money online too! It won't be too much but it's at least something to do while waiting for another job.

HUGE HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Angsana

Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants!

I'm not usually all doom and gloom!Thanks for your kind wishes.

The World According To Me said...

Hello The Real Mother Hen

That's really sweet of you, sending me good luck wishes.

Hope all is oaky with you.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Nick.

It means a lot to me to read people's kind words and encouragement.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

Thanks for your support. Hope all is good with you.

Yep, I'm trying to turn a negative into a positive! I've got to look on the plus side, I've got over the shock now and life has to go on!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Jyankee

Everyone has been so kind. I'm keeping my spirits up, now I've recovered from the shock!

Hope you're okay.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Spangleystar

As always you are there for me and put a smile back on my face.
I hope you're okay honey.

Lots of love always. xxx

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl

I know you've been through something similar.

Thanks for your kind words to perk me up. They've done the trick!

Hope you're okay.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle

I'm so touched by the comments everyone has left. Thank you for your support. I'm determined to look on the bright side, pick myself up, dust myself down and start all over again!

Hope you're okay.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks La Delirante

As you know, it can be a huge shock. But you've gotta move forward and get on with it!
Everyone's kind words have been a huge help and I do really appreciate it.

Hope you're okay.

The World According To Me said...

Thank you Amel.

Everyone has been so kind! It was such a shock and I liked my job, I didn't want to leave, but I've got my head around it now and just need to get on with the rest of my life!

Hope you're okay.

Amel's Realm said...

Yeah, of course it was such a shock to you...but I'm glad you're feeling better. :-))) Well, I still believe that adage that says: if a door closes, another opens. And let's see what kind of door will open up for you! :-D

Take careeeeee!!!!!! I've been doing fine, thanks! ;-D