Tuesday, 30 December 2008

The wind of change

It’s nearly time to say farewell to an old familiar friend.
Don’t worry, I am not referring to myself, I’m not going anywhere. I’m afraid you’re stuck with me for a very long time.
My sentence is in relation to - our old mate called 2008.
So how do you feel about that? Are you dancing a merry dance and singing, “Good riddance to bad rubbish!” Or have you got kind of attached to 2008 and you’ll be sorry to see the back of it? Was this year your favourite year, your worst year, or a mediocre year?
As for my answer, I would say it hasn't been a bad 2008. I shouldn't complain because I haven't personally experienced any tragedies or disasters. My arms and legs haven’t mysteriously and suddenly dropped off, and my house has not been ripped from its foundations and landed on the Wicked Witch of the West. Or was it The Wicked Witch of the East? Remember the scene from The Wizard of Oz? (I love that film and I've stared at it far too many times, so you'd think I'd have the decency to remember which witch the house lands on.)
Anyway, back to the point. But on the other hand, I can’t say 2008 has been exactly life changing.
My friend and I were discussing this over a birthday lunch the other day - pasta, spinach, blue cheese, and garlic bread, if anyone is interested. We weren’t grumbling but we both agreed life seems to have hit a stand still. I for one fear I am drifting along. Still at my parents, still at the same job, still paying debts off (although one mammoth debt has finished) and I’m still drinking too much wine with friends.
Life could be worse. I’m happy enough, but I can’t help feeling there should be more to my life. I should be doing more. I should be achieving more. Can you understand my dilemma?
Next year, in 2009, I think I need to make a few changes. I don't wish for out of the blue uncomfortable changes, but I’d like to set myself goals. I might cut down on my social life and spending money, and try saving it for a welcome change.
Saving money for a home to call my own! This is want I really crave and fantasise about. And my knight in shining armour. And a family of my own. I know, I know, you can't magic these things out of thin air. When the time is right, you don't know what's around the corner, you can't change fate, etc, etc. I'm queen of the cliches, so I should learn to practice what I preach.
But maybe, dearest FPE readers, the wind of change is heading my way. Whistling and breezing along, shaking and waking anyone who dares to stand in its way. The wind of change could be long over due and making its way to me.
Can you sense it too?

I wish you all a happy and prosperous 2009!
Thank you for continually reading and commenting, and for not deserting me.
It would be lonely here without you.

The cheeky new year cocktail.

12 comments:

FLRXMAN said...

2008 was a good year for me. Knight in Shining armour is more realistic than soul mate. When planning for 2009 feel free to learn from my mistakes
1) Desperate to find my queen of the castle, I settled and it pains me to say it, she turned out to be the wicked witch of the east. (When we parted ways, she kept my castle)
2) At one point I decided to cut back on the time spent with friends eating out, enjoying adult beverages, now I find out about the good times after the fact.
My plans for 2009 enjoy the moment and get washboard abs and spend more time with friends

The World According To Me said...

Hello flrxman

I'm sorry to hear your queen of the castle turned out to be the wicked witch of the east.
Remember the wizard of oz was really a fake and a huge let down, that's my love life all over!

Anyway, enjoying the moment sounds good to me. Cheers! Here's to 2009 and washboard abs.

jyankee said...

I've been a bad commentor as of late, but you know that you won't get rid of me...and yeah, I don't know which witch landed where...and I've seen the movie dozens of times too! LOL...My 2008 wasn't too bad either... peaceful...which is good...can't complain. However, hoping for a better 2009! (esp work-wise...) Hoping you have a great New Year's and I look forward to seeing more of you in 2009! (I don't make resolutions anymore as I never follow them... ha ha)

Nick Phillips said...

I'm really looking forward for 2008 to end and 2009 to arrive. It has been and up and down year for me and I really don't want to remember too much of what happened this year. I'm hoping 2009 will be much brighter :D

Happy New year to you :D

WaterLearner said...

I just did a similar post looking back on 2008 as we are on the last nine hours or so of this year.

May it be a better year for everyone!

Happy New Year!!

Blur Ting said...

Oh, I do hope all your wishes will come true in 2009. Having your own home will be nice, especially if your knight is able to pop in every now and then.

2008 has been special because we finally met! It was such a wonderful experience and I still can visualise your infectious laughter and our chatter. Happy new year to you and I do hope we'll meet again one day!

Amel's Realm said...

Happy New Year, FPE!!!

I also need to be more disciplined in some stuff in 2009 (esp. when it comes to speaking Finnish and learning more grammar. GOOD LUCK in making your wishes come true! ;-D One step at a time. YEEEESSSS! ;-D

The World According To Me said...

Hello Jyankee

I might watch the film again, for the millionth time, and pay attention when it comes to the witch!

I wish you and your family a happy and healthy 2009. I look forward to seeing you in cyberspace!

The World According To Me said...

Happy 2009 to you and your family Nick!

I think the wind of change is heading your way too. Any luck with the TV cabinet?

The World According To Me said...

Happy New Year Waterlearner. I wish you all the best and I'll be over to you very soon...

The World According To Me said...

Happy New Year Blur!

I'm so glad we met in 2008 in real life. That was definitely one of my high points!

I wish you all the best for 2009. A happy and healthy year.

The World According To Me said...

Happy New Year Amel.

I wish you happiness and health in 2009.