Sunday, 28 December 2008

'Twas the night before Christmas...

I knew I shouldn't have opened my big, don't tempt fate, mouth.
So much for my organised 1st of December state of mind, during The Enormous stopwatch in the sky post. Although I did warn you (and myself) that the organisation and calmness might not last long.
True to form, I was dashing around with a puff of smoke behind me - well, that's how I imagined I would have looked in cartoon land - on Christmas Eve. I realised I'd left a present at a friends house, discarded a forgotten present at the cash register in M&S, and I discovered the gift card I'd purchased for a requested birthday present did not have any money to spend on it. Don't ask me how I managed to mess up all three things, but somehow I did.
I popped to my local shops on Christmas Eve, trying not to scream and panic, pushing my way through the crowds, and trying to rectify my errors. I bumped into the world and his wife. I suppose it was my local shops and I have lived in the area for 35 years, so I guess it was only to be expected to bump into people I know and stand and politely chat to them. Whilst trying not to look at my watch and stress about the length of time I had until the shops closed early for Christmas.
I finally breathed a sigh of relief when I returned to my house, with the new presents and gift card, at 4pm on Christmas Eve.
"You've been ages!" my mother noted. I know! I disappeared to my bedroom to wrap the last of my presents. Finally, at last, everything was bought and wrapped and completed.
So I went to the pub with a friend for a glass of wine or two, before Father Christmas visited my house on his reindeer driven sleigh, and slid down the chimney to deliver our presents and nibble on our mince pies. What a guy.

I hope you had a glorious Christmas, dear readers.
Did everything go according to plan?
I trust you have a nice time with family and friends?
Did you eat far too much?

Christmas in my house was a pleasant affair.


With lots of Christmas food.


It wouldn't be Christmas without new socks and slippers.

18 comments:

Nick Phillips said...

You know, I just love that fire place of yours. I've always wanted a fire place but it's really not practical in this country of mine ...

Loved the pictures :D

Mary Smith said...

I'm glad you had a great Christmas and I know how busy it can be getting ready!

Blur Ting said...

Oh dear, that sounds so frantic just by reading your account. But thank goodness everything turned out wonderful. Your house is lovely! I like the jars of jam with checked cloth over it.

FLRXMAN said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful, I love the frenzy of shopping on Christmas eve, running into old and not so old friends, striking up random conversations with strangers, and of course the feel of new slippers on Christmas morning.

Amel's Realm said...

Nice socks and slippers...sorry to hear about the chaos, though!!! My heart was beating fast as I read through your post...and I sighed in relief afterward he he...

I just wrote a funny post concerning something that happened today, so do come and laugh with me hi hi hi...

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

The fire place is a very welcome comfort in my home, and gets used far too much in this country of mine!

Hope you are having a nice day.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Mary

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. I will be over to you soon. I'm sure you'll have some lovely pictures.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

It was a frantic last minute dash, how do I always manage to do that?!

Hope you are well. Thanks for the nice comment about my house.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Flrxman

Did you have a joyful festive period?

Arr, you can't beat the feel of new slippers on Christmas morning!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

How are you? Everything turned out okay in the end!

I'm coming over right now to hear your funny story....

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

What a gorgeous fireplace!!

We had a great Christmas. Everything went as planned except that we left a half dozen presents or so behind at the in-laws'. They say they are saving them for us...but can they be trusted?

Well. Probably. : )

Eryl Shields said...

Something has to go wrong: we forgot to get a Christmas pudding and almost didn't get a tree, managing to nab one just as the garden centre was closing on Christmas eve.

I got slippers too.

Dav DiDi said...

Nice layout you have here ...
OH ya, .. Merry christmas!!!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Katherine

Glad you had a great Christmas.
When it comes to trusting the in laws with the presents, maybe it depends on what the presents were?! He, he.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

But at least you remembered to cook the turkey this year!

Glad you got your tree in time.

The World According To Me said...

Merry Christmas Dav didi

Hope you had a lovely time.

La Delirante said...

hehe, I like your slippers :)

The World According To Me said...

Thanks La Delirante!

They are very cosy!