Friday, 5 December 2008

The night I met a blogger

I awoke to the sound of police sirens. Or maybe it was my alarm clock? Yes it was my alarm clock. Forgive me for confusing the sounds, but they’re two very similar noises.
I’ve managed to break two mobile phone handsets this year (if anyone can do it, I can) and my recently loaned handset, from a dear and kind friend, contains an alarm clock which rather resembles the commotion of a police raid in my bedroom. I’m always relived when I realise it’s not a police raid, merely my alarm announcing it’s time to get out of bed.
I got out of bed and pulled my curtains so I could see the outside world and the weather conditions. I smiled when I realised it was not snowing or raining, just cold and grey. At least the UK weather wasn’t too unfriendly for the arrival of my fellow blogger from Singapore. For the day had arrived, it was Blur's visit to the UK and we had arranged to meet in London for food and drink and chats.
After my cinnamon and marmite bagel with coffee (they’re a hard habit to break) at my desk in the office, I called the restaurant to confirm my booking for the evening. All booked and confirmed! I then printed out directions to the restaurant and to Blur's hotel. I even saved the restaurant's telephone number in my mobile handset (the handset with the police sirens for an alarm clock) just in case I got lost. I always worry about loosing my way, this has happened quite frequently. I checked I had not accidentally deleted Blur's mobile number, which I would need in case I got lost finding her hotel, and to welcome her with a text message when she landed in the UK. So far so good. It was then time to do some work.
At five thirty on the dot I raced out the office and my journey to Paddington commenced. I surprised myself by finding the restaurant and the hotel straight away.
And there was Blur, all smiles, in real life, not a photograph on a blog! We greeted each other like old friends and made our way to the restaurant.
It was an authentic Middle Eastern/Lebanese restaurant with rose petals on the tables, and cushions, lanterns and wood carvings everywhere you looked. We sat down at our table and grinned at each other. It felt good to be sitting opposite someone I have spent many, many lunchtimes and evenings reading about her life and replying to comments regarding my life. Even though we had never met before it was as if I’d known her for years, and I immediately relaxed and was looking forward to our evening ahead.
The menu was mind boggling, so much choice, so much food! We ordered, wait for it:

Halloum mekleh. (Pan fried cheese with chili spiced jam.)
Samboussek jibneh. (Awaki & feta cheese with parsley.)
Falafel. (Chickpea & broad beans. Tahini & garlic yoghurt sauce.)
Soujoc. (Homemade spicy sausages with cherry tomatoes and parsley.)
Jawaneh. (Chargrilled chicken wings marinated with lemon juice, garlic & coriander.)
Machaweh. (Mix of kafta. Lahem meshoue, taouk & marinated cutlets.)
And warm breads, marinated olives and salads.
Plus a bottle of Lebanese wine.

You were discussed dear readers, in between sampling food and sipping wine. All bloggers were mentioned and our mutual love for blogging. We both agreed how ones personality develops through ones writing and how honest and sincere bloggers can be about themselves and their lives. Apparently I am exactly as Blur expected me to be! Yep, my writing is rather like myself, nothing fancy, just little old me rambling on about my interpretation of life and anything else that pops into my head.
We then danced around the tables, with the belly dancer.
It was a real pleasure to meet the writer behind ‘The day flew by so fast it was a blur’. We chatted and laughed like two old friends, already knowing so much about each other through our blogs and our writing and our photographs. It was a shame the evening had to end, but I would like to thank blog world for bringing such a warm, sincere and lovely person into my life.
And thanks for the chocolates Blur!

Pictures of the day:

Blur.


Our table.


The food.


Dancing.


More dancing.

18 comments:

jyankee said...

I am so glad you two hit it off. But with you and Blur...it had to be a given that you would get along! Sounds like you ordered A LOT!! Bet it was hard to get up after eating all that and belly dancing! LOL.... It must be nice to actually meet a real life blogger... Besides you two, I also want to meet all the people who stop by my blog...gosh... lots of travelling to different places!

charlie hotel said...

Can't belly dance on an empty belly!

Nick Phillips said...

It must be great to meet a fellow blogger in person :D Looks like you guys had a blast too :D

spangleystar said...

Wow - how much fun, and how nice for you to finally meet up - I'll have to check out that lebanese restaurant - looks amazing !!!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Jyankee

We has a great night thanks, with plenty of food!
We both agreed that we'd like to meet the person behind 'All things Japan.' Maybe one day hey?
You're right, if we all decided to meet up one day, we would be very well travelled bloggers!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Charlie Hotel.

Welcome to my humble home at Flying Pink Elephants!

I can honestly say my belly was full! And it was a pleasure to meet Blur in real life.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

It was a great night and a great experience. You realise how much you share of yourself in blog land. Considering the fact we had never met we had loads to talk about and loads of common interests!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Spangleystar.

We sure did have fun. I recommend the restaurant. It's only small but you couldn't fault the food and atmosphere. And I loved the d├ęcor. I could live there!

Blur Ting said...

Hi!!! I'm back in sunny Singapore though it has been raining since I got home. I enjoyed myself so thoroughly at our dinner, it is an experience I will remember for life! Your choice of Rose wine was perfect. The location and food was good too. And we had so much to talk about,it's amazing isn't it? We really should make our dream of having a bloggers' party come true someday. That would be so fun!!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

Welcome back! Sorry to hear it's been raining. But I expect it's warmer rain than the UK!
I thoroughly enjoyed our night too. Did you get the pictures on your email? (I haven't checked my email today so you may have replied?)

Yep, it was amazing all the things we had to talk about. I think if we'd told someone in the restaurant that it was the first time we had ever met, I don't think they would have believed us!
That bloggers party sure would be fun!

Blur Ting said...

Yes, I received all the photos. Thanks! Your new blog profile picture is very nice. I love it!

WaterLearner said...

Oh wow ... I wish I was there. I would be game to dance too! You are right, it's always nice to meet a person rather than seeing a photo on a blog.

La Delirante said...

I have just come from Blur Ting's blog and I saw that you two met in London!! Wow!!! It is nice when you meet fellow bloggers :) I wish more came to Malta :)

The World According To Me said...

Cheers Blur! Glad you got the photos okay.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Waterlearner

I believe you've had the pleasure of meeting Bur too. You're right, it's nice to meet the person behind the photograph. And dance!

The World According To Me said...

Hello La Delirante

We had a great time in London!

We actually mentioned the bloggers meetings in Malta. Must have been fun to put people to blogs!

Amel's Realm said...

COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL!!! And HEY, you changed your template! ;-D

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

How are you?

Yeah I was a little bored with the other one and have been experimenting!