Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Never give up hope

Something very good and very unexpected has happened to me, dear readers. And I thought I would share my joyful news with you.
Have I caught your attention? Are you now sitting bolt up right in your chair and trying to guess what this news could be? Or perhaps you are casually sprawled on the sofa, in a nonchalant frame of mind, wondering what to eat for your dinner.
For those who are interested in my announcement, let’s eliminate what my news could be.
Okay, firstly, I haven’t won the national lottery, at this rate I never will. George Michael hasn’t fallen head over heels in love with me. Sigh. Again, I fear this is an impossible dream. Hmmm. What else could it be, I hear you eagerly cry. Unfortunately I haven’t won a years supply of free cheese and chocolate. And I haven’t won a trip around the world, all expenses paid – that would be nice!
But…wait for it…drum roll and pause for a dramatic affect...I have a calendar.
As the keen FPE reader will know, I have been rather disappointed with my lack of calendars this year - see eight calendars post. This has now all changed.
Monday night I walked into the hall where my photography club is held, and I was greeted with the words, “Would you like a calendar?” Those five magic words were music to my ears.
Unbeknown to me, my photography club arranged for calendars to be printed, boasting fantastic pictures taken from the members, and all proceeds for the calendars will be donated to the local hospice. How about that. Not only do I own a calendar to keep track of very important dates next year, but I have one containing glorious pictures, photographed by people I know. And my money will be helping those less fortunate than myself, at St Francis Hospice. What more could I ask for? Apart from winning the lottery, George Michael's love, free cheese and chocolate, and an all expenses paid trip around the world.
But that’s not all folks. Just as I was thinking luck had finally shone my way, I was reminded of something else by a photography society member – my £30 cash back claim for my new camera. That’s right, Canon are offering £30 cash back on all cameras bought in the last couple of months. But hurry, all claims must be made before January 10 2009. I’d almost forgotten. I thanked the member for reminding me, and the very next day I filled in my form and posted it.
And I haven’t finished yet! Whilst searching in my camera box for proof of till receipt for my cash back claim, I came across a £50 voucher towards camera courses in 2009. What a brilliant idea! With hands practically shaking with excitement, I filled in the form and posted that too. For us much as I am loving my photography club, the appreciation of seeing the world beyond a camera lens and being transported to the vision behind the button, I do think I would also benefit from attending a structured course, where I can learn the technical side.
So you see, dearest readers, you must never give up hope. I am walking proof of this. I now have my 2009 calendar, with pictures. And a couple of other unexpected delights too.
I am a happy girl.

21 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

OOHHHHHH GOODIE GOODIE GOODIE!!! I feel as EXCITED as you areeeeeee...If there were ever any free photography courses here in Sodankylä, I'll also join in HI HI HI HI HI HI...

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

You know, it's the little things in life that really count!!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

It certainly is goody news! Hope you're okay. I'm loving your movie blog, by the way.

The World According To Me said...

You're so right Katherine, it is the little things that count! And I am easily pleased.
Hope all is good with you.

FLRXMAN said...

Looks like you are primed for a great 09, hope the good vibes keep flowing and one can hope George Michael shows up one day on your door step with Cheese and chocolate

Nick Phillips said...

Lucky you :D Congrats on getting a Calendar. I'm envious of you. I'm still wrangling my way to get one for myself before the year ends ...

Amel's Realm said...

GLAD you enjoyed my movie blog! Well, since I still want to make some extra money online, I decided to open that blog for that purpose...plus I have fun writing the reviews hi hi hi...

Bitter Chocolate said...

Haha, miracles do happen :D

Dav DiDi said...

I like your new layout ...
Yeah, being happy is a good thing .... we live for today and there is no reason not to be happy!

Blur Ting said...

Oh, it's nice to hear some good news! I can feel your joy all the way in Singapore! May you have great photography courses to attend in the coming year.

Eryl Shields said...

Great!

Mary Smith said...

I love your new layout it looks great and your photo is just gorgeous. Congratulations on your calendar! Have a wonderful and Merry Christmas if I don't pop in again before then!
Maryxoxo

The World According To Me said...

Hello Tan man

Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants! Thanks for popping by and leaving a message.

Here's hoping George will pop by in 2009 with cheese and chocolate!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

How are you? Any sign of a calendar at your end? Hope you're having a good day.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

How are you? Will pop over and see you soon. I've been pretty busy the last few days. The movie blog is a great idea!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Bitter Chocolate

Yep, miracles do indeed happen! Normally not to me which is why it was such a nice surprise!

Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Dav Didi

How's life at your end? Yep, happiness is a splendid thing!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

How are you? Sorry I haven't been over for a while but I've been so busy.

I thought I'd spread my joy! Can't wait for the course info!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl.

Hope you're okay.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Mary!

Merry Christmas to you and all your family.

Amel's Realm said...

Merry Christmasssssssss to youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!