Thursday, 20 November 2008

Lucky star

Do you think that some people are born under a lucky star? Perhaps at the precise time they entered this world, Saturn was in the eleventh house and all the lucky stars and planets were facing the right way. Therefore, wisdom, good health and good fortune would be their destiny. As you can probably tell, I am not an expert when it comes to astrology and I have completely invented this theory and birth chart.
Or do you think luck is not something you were born with, it has nothing to do with the stars and the planets, but everything to do with you as a person and your outlook and attitude towards life?
I was thinking about and referring to this luck thing on Monday night. It was competition night at the photography club. My club and neighbouring clubs were competing for a trophy, judged by a professional photographer. Check out his website here! http://www.russelllindsay.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return
He was actually standing in my local hall with his wise words and expertise, and his scarlet haired wife. Impressed? I was.
Anyway, Monday night I heard myself saying, “I’m not lucky, I never win anything,” as I departed with my shiny gold pound coin, in exchange for a strip of raffle tickets. Competition night also means raffle night, and as I shoved my tickets in my black leather purse, I couldn’t help lusting after the champagne bottle and the box of chocolates.
It’s true though, I never win anything. And it’s not without trying. Twice a week, every week - for a few years now - I use the same faithful numbers for the national lottery. You would think, according to the law of averages, my numbers would have appeared on those balls a few times by now. Three of my numbers have appeared ONCE. I won £10. I owed my father £10 so I passed my winnings straight over to him. It wasn’t my finest hour. Hardly the win of the century, was it. Another time, for about ten months, I entered every competition I came across. This was when I was buying far too many magazines each week. Trips to Florida, sports cars, health spa breaks, concert tickets, gigantic plasma screens, a make-over, shopping sprees, nail varnish kit. You name it, I tried to win it. I won a big fat nothing. Not even a nail varnish kit.
But hey, I know luck is not all about winning competitions. It’s just that I've never thought of myself as someone whose life seems to flow easily and everything fits into place snugly. I look at various individuals and I think, ”How come you’ve breezed through life with no complications? You’ve met the right man, produced healthy children, live in a nicely decorated house of your own, you're financially comfortable, and life has bared no unpleasant surprises.”
Don’t let me mislead you, I’m not trying to give you a sob story and play the sympathy card by saying I’ve led a tragic life. Because I haven’t. Oh I’ve had my ups and downs, as I know a lot of people have. My keen and eager heart has been trampled on and broken in a few places. I have one failed marriage to add to my list of disasters and as a consequence, love has left a bitter taste in my mouth and forever is a word I am very suspicious about.
I lost a precious and dear sibling when I was seventeen years old, which ripped my family apart. The gaping hole of loss is something which will never mend. You can stick a plaster over it, but the wound will always be there. Whether it bleeds profusely one day or it’s an uncomfortable itch the next, anyone who has ever lost someone will know the pain never fully disappears. Especially when the loved one was too young and they were stolen from you in cruel and abrupt circumstances.
But having said all of this, I do realise that I am blessed with many things in my life and compared to others in this world, my life is a garden of paradise.
Which brings me back to my opening question regarding luck. And I think I may have answered my own question. When I think about all the people in this life who I love and who love me back, the wonderful people who I share my life with, all the things I am grateful for, the things which make me smile and feel happy inside, I feel the luckiest girl alive.
And guess what? I won the raffle Monday night. Yes, that’s right, I actually won something! Unfortunately other club members beat me to the champagne and the box of chocolates, I was left with Richard Branson's autobiography. Still, it’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, or so they say. Especially after complaining that I never win anything.
So, perhaps it’s not all about those lucky stars. You just have to count your blessings, remember the good things in your life, and everything else will be okay.

Picture of the day:

Flowers in autumn.

20 comments:

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

GORGEOUS flower!!

And no, I don't really believe in lucky stars. I believe there is a reason for everything, even horrible things. We just don't know what those reasons are which is frustrating.

Kate said...

Hey! I haven't been able to come over and visit you for a while. It's strange to contemplate what we gain through profound loss. It just seems completely counter-intuitive. At least we can say that we get a sense of perspective and a large helping of gratitude for the little, happy pieces of life. You always find them in your pictures. I have to say that I'm kind of jealous of your jelly-fish photo! I tried and tried to get a good shot of one when I was at an aquarium this summer, and it's very tricky.

Bitter Chocolate said...

I think some people attract luck by the way they think about life and approach it. But on the other hand I also do kind of believe in astrology in the sense that our star signs do have an impact on our personality, and our personality has an impact on our attitude to life... so I guess it's a mix. Sometimes it seems some people are simply lucky with whatever they chose to do, but it's never that easy, who knows, maybe someone might even picture you as that kind of person. And... perhaps you've had bad luck just because some major lucky strike is about to find you in the future - that's what I like to believe :)

jyankee said...

I think I'm one of those who have lead a life of ease... while not being one to brag, it just seems that I've really been in the right place at the right time... things have just fallen in place when I least expected it... but I am aware of those who are less fortunate and I do thank my lucky stars! Having said that...I have yet to win the lottery! LOL

Blur Ting said...

Finally you won something! Maybe in the long run, Richard Branson's sound advise is better than a bottle of champagne or box of chocolate.

I think you're a wonderful person surrounded by good friends and family who love you. It's a real blessing.

WaterLearner said...

What a coincidence! I just put up a post about winning something at my blog today!

I don't believe in luck actually. Lucky draws or contests ... I seldom even need to stay around to hear the results.

And you are right. Many things that are truly priceless, can't be bought or won. Don't you agree :-)

Nick Phillips said...

I tend to think I make my own luck :D I do believe in my own personal lucky number though :D

Amel's Realm said...

LOVE the post and the flower pic! Indeed life is what you make it...happiness is all about counting your blessings and not about counting what you've lost and what you don't or can't have yet.

spangleystar said...

Maybe luck is like everything in your life - you give more to other people than you receive...
You're my lucky star anyway darling and nearly brought me to tears with the ref to your bro xxx

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Katherine.

Yeah, I tend to believe everything happens for a reason, good and bad. Trying to fathom out this reason can be very frustrating!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

How are you?

It's strange to contemplate what we gain through profound loss. It just seems completely counter-intuitive. At least we can say that we get a sense of perspective and a large helping of gratitude for the little, happy pieces of life - wise words!

To be honest, I think the jelly-fish picture was a fluke!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Chocolate

How are things with you?

You're right, I do think some people attract luck with their approach to life. If you look forward to things and appreciate things you're going to feel luckier than someone who is always thinking the worst in a situation.

I like it - And... perhaps you've had bad luck just because some major lucky strike is about to find you in the future - that's what I like to believe :)
Bring it on!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Jyankee

How are you today?

I'm pleased to hear how things have been for you. It give me faith!
And keep checking those lottery numbers, you never know!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

How are you?

That's true, maybe Richard could teach me a thing or two! I'm actually interested to read his book and see how it all happened for him.
Plus, reading is less fattening than chocolate and champagne!

Hey, thanks for the last comment. I was touched. Yep, my family and my friends are my blessing.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Waterlearner

How are you today?

What a winning coincidence!

Definitely - the priceless things in our life can not be bought or won.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

I think that's a healthy attitude - you make your own luck. With perhaps a little bit of help from your lucky number!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

I think you're a great example of someone who counts their blessings and their happiness. It is a shame that sometimes other people forget to do this. Maybe I needed a little reminder too.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Spangleystar

You've always been my lucky star too darling. Always have been and always will be. I definitely think we were destined to meet. xx

三杯雞Sam said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

宮保雞丁Alex said...

,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社