Monday, 3 November 2008

The hairdresser and the musician

My dad fell in love with the girl next door. The girl next door who would one day become my mum.
I never tire of hearing how they first met, and I often drive past the hairdressers my mother worked in and the street they used to live in and I picture them, many years ago, when I was merely a twinkle in their eye.
My father was working on cruise ships as a musician when he met my mother. At the time he was based in the UK, awaiting another trip travelling the seas and playing his saxophone. They dated and set a wedding date, and my father sold his brand new sports car for a deposit on their first home together. He then searched for a 9 to 5 ‘sensible’ job so he wouldn’t be travelling the world and be absent for long periods of time. That’s love for you. And 2 years later, on their wedding anniversary, along came me.
I never tire of hearing stories of their childhood either, before fate and geography brought them together. “It wasn’t like this when we were young,” I frequently here them say. My mum often tells me how she would spend the night dancing in the building which is now a bingo hall and walk home, on her own, clutching her shoes as her feet would be sore and aching from all that spinning around. “There wasn’t the high crime rate then, a girl would feel perfectly safe walking home on her own.” I’m also constantly reminded that there was no television, telephone or computer in my parents family homes. In fact, when I was born the telephone was still a rare thing in many households and my parents had to send a telegram to most of their friends, to inform them of my arrival. Can you imagine not being able to communicate by telephone?! I never leave the house without my mobile, and I take it for granted that everyone I know owns a mobile and I can call them or text them and almost immediately be in contact with them.
My fathers childhood was very different from mine, and very different from my mothers. There is a fourteen year age difference between my parents, and my father lived through the second world war, where he was evacuated out of London and into the country side. To be separated from your parents, and your home, at such a young age is something I can not imagine either. My dad often refers to money as shillings and reminds me how food was rationed during the war. If I was to travel back in time and explain to a shop keeper the price of food these days, they would probably fall off their chair in astonishment, that’s if they were sitting down, if they were standing they may have fainted from the shock. Can you imagine trying to explain blogging to a shop keeper during the second world war?! They would probably think I was barmy and to communicate with people from all over the world at the touch of a button was unthinkable. Rather like man walking on the moon!
I can’t help wondering how different things will be for my children - fingers and arms crossed that I will have my own family one day. Technology is progressing constantly. Will we have cars that fly? Dinners that cook themselves? Who knows hey! Nothing would surprise me though.
In the mean time, I’m grateful for the progress and I'm grateful that technology allows me to blog. I’m also grateful for the three course meal I shared with my parents last week, on my 35th birthday, which was also my parents 37th wedding anniversary.
I think they deserve a medal for sticking together for 37 years. An enormous gold one, with the following words engraved: 'It must be love.' Why else would you do it?!

Pictures of the day:

Present time.


The anniversary/birthday restaurant.


Strawberry Meringue.

17 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Happy belated birthday and anniversary to your parents!! What a wonderful story, lovingly told by you. You come from an artistic background, dad's a musician and mum can really dance. That's so cool and WOW!

Krystle said...

Happy belated Birthday! And Happy Anniversary to your parents :) What a lovely story...thanks for sharing it with us :)

Amel's Realm said...

BRILLIANT post!!! ;-D

HAPPY belated b-day and wedding anniversary for your parents. They DO indeed deserve a gold medal.

I LOVE reading their love story, too!!! It brought me back to the love story of my parents...and my Mom's sisters and brothers' love stories as told by my Mom he he he he he...

Isn't it a coincidence that I also wrote about anniversary today? HE HE HE HE HE HE...

Cheers to love!!!

Kate said...

LOL! That's for sure! Whatever the future olds, it will come with a charger! What about central heating? Simon tells of his grandparents' houses in Suffolk, and how he used to dread leaving the warm kitchen every night to go up the stairs to his freezing bedroom.

Bitter Chocolate said...

I often wonder about that too... I actually know very little about my dad's youth, he's a bit of a mystery. But I do know how my parents met - in a sauna! It was raining when they were leaving, my mom had an umbrella and dad didn't... so he walked her to her place under the umbrella and then she lent him the umbrella so that he could get home without getting wet. But of course they had to meet again so that he could return it... :DDD

jyankee said...

Oh Happy birthday and anniversary to your parents! What a romantic tale!!!! It's hard to imagine one's parents being "romantic" but I guess things haven't changed THAT much!

Nick Phillips said...

Happy belated birthday and also a happy anniversary to both your parents.

Romance was more in abundance those days than it is today.

Amel's Realm said...

That resto and meringue look GREAT! ;-D

The World According To Me said...

Hello and thanks Blur!

Not a bad little story is it. I wish I had my dads musical talent though. As for dancing, I like to THINK I can move and shake with the best of them! I try anyway!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle

I thought I’d dedicate a post to how I came to be! Hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

That is a coincidence Amel! Hope you had a lovely anniversary.

My parents definitely deserve that medal. I only hope my next relationship will be as lasting as theirs!

Cheers to love too!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

You’re right there - a charger for this, and a charger for that! Batteries not included!

I’ve heard the cold house stories too! The tin bath in front of the fire and the extra clothing in bed. I can’t bear to be cold and I feel the cold very easily, so I would have been moaning constantly!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Chocolate

That’s quite a story too – in a sauna, with an umbrella loan. Good idea though, it meant they had to meet again, instead of two ships that pass in the night.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Jyankee and thanks!

I know, I laugh now at my parents being romantic. But there must have been a time!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Nick!

Yep, love came with an old fashioned view in the olden days! My mum often reminds me that she wouldn’t have dreamt of meeting a guy in a pub or wearing the clothes young girls wear nowadays! In some ways progress is good, but I quite like the old fashioned romance!

The World According To Me said...

There were great indeed Amel. It’s our favourite local restaurant. You can always count on the good food and service.

John said...

Hairdresser Job London is offering very competitive prices for hair care and hair dressing with years of experience, and also great after care support, please book a consultation online today.