Wednesday, 26 November 2008

The elf, the hammer and the camera

I have a confession to make. Try not to be too alarmed dear readers, I haven’t ran along the streets of London dressed as an elf and declaring, “It’s 29 days until Christmas!” (Even though it is 29 days until Christmas!) And don’t worry, I haven’t buckled under the pressure of magazine press dates and casually strolled into the office carrying a hammer and proceeded to smash my Apple Mac and desk into tiny little pieces. Nope, I haven’t attempted to do either of these actions. I wouldn’t even contemplate smashing my Mac and desk. Think of the mess it would make and the trouble I would land myself in. Oh, and my elf costume is at the dry cleaners, ha, ha!
But I have splashed out and treated myself to something quite expensive and very rewarding. And I can’t help feeling a smidgen of guilt at doing so.
In my past life, five years ago, when banks were dishing out loans left, right and centre, before the black cloud of recession loomed over our heads, my bank transferred a loan into my account. It was for a substantial amount of money towards decorating and furnishing my home at the time, and for one particular day in my life. Finally, five long years later, I have finished paying for the loan. What a relief that is. Particularly as I no longer live in that home and my past life didn’t quite go according to plan.
Here’s where the guilt part comes in. Despite the fact there are 29 days until Christmas and practically everyone I know celebrates their birthday in December - in my defence I have bought most of my Christmas and December birthday presents - I have bought myself something. My sensible side knew that I should be spending the money on the remainder of pressies, but my selfish side bought myself a new camera!
I read camera reviews on the internet and asked for camera advice in electrical shops, and with my new knowledge and my extra cash, I bought a Canon E0S 1000D. I can’t stop looking at it and smiling. I have an enormous instruction manual to wade through, but I’ve kind of got the hang of it. So guess what I’ve been doing recently? I have been taking photographs of absolutely everything and smiling a lot.
Beside, there’s another pay day until Christmas and a full 29 days of shopping for other people. And it could be worse - I could have walked into the office, dressed as an elf, with that hammer and a naughty glint in my eye! Now that would have been a confession and a half.

Pictures of the day:

I took my new camera to my friends house at the weekend. I love her decor, she has some amazing wood carvings from her travels. Naturally I took pictures. And we looked at old pictures of us together.
Do you like her hand chair?


The laughing Buddha.


Remember the old days, when one would print out photographs instead of displaying them on computers?! That's me in Tenerife by the way. Click on it to enlarge and look how young and thin I was!

19 comments:

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

HEY! You do so much great photography, you deserve nice, new camera my dear! Some day I expect to see your pics in National Geographic. Then you won't feel so guilty, will you??

Bitter Chocolate said...

Oh awsome, I envy you, I'd love to get a better camera for christmas, too bad we're doing the no-present thing this year. And hey, who can get you a better present than yourself, if you can afford it!

Amel's Realm said...

LOVE the pics!!!! HAVE FUN with your new camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is that in the souvenir shop I had my first training, they sold that kind of hand chair and I WAS fascinated by it hi hi hi...

You do look thinner in the other pic, but still as beautiful he he he he...I find that the beauty of youth is more innocent-like, but the beauty of a grown woman is more...sophisticated. :-)))

Nick Phillips said...

Oooo I'm envious of your new camera! Have fun with it :D

Blur Ting said...

Oh wow! I am so envious! Have fun taking great photos.

The World According To Me said...

Cheers Katherine!

How's your photography coming along? Last time I looked you had some stunning pictures.

National Geographic, imagine it!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Bitter Chocolate

How are you feeling today?

I'm thinking of my camera as an investment!

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

I'm justifying our own purchase of a new camera too! Now all I need is a zoom lens....

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Amel.

That's funny with the chair! I'm not sure how comfortable it would be after a while but it looks good!

Sigh. They were my thin days. I would eat like a horse and still have a flat stomach! Never mind, I'm older and wiser now, and as you say, sophisticated! (Although I've never really thought of myself as sophisticated!)

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

I'm sure I'll keep you updated with the fun my camera and I will be having! I just hope I don't leave this one on a window sill in a pub!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur.

I will do thanks! Prepare yourself for more pictures!

Purple Cat said...

great shots! especially the one of the buddha. Love your blog!
XX PC

Blur Ting said...

Hi hi, I thought I had better fix up the plans for our meeting at Paddingtons on Thusrday. I will be checking in around 2pm and then will walk about until it is time to meet you. Would meeting at my hotel lobby be fine or should we meet somewhere nearby? I'm fine either way. just let me know the timeand place.

Blur Ting said...

I can't believe I said the exact same words as Nick! And I didn't even look at his comment before that. Geez

The World According To Me said...

Gee thanks Purple Cat! Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants.

Must pop over to your place.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur.

Great minds think alike hey!

Just seen your message re Thursay. Not long now!

Amel's Realm said...

He he...I've NEVER had a flat stomach my entire life. :-))))

三杯雞Sam said...

,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

宮保雞丁Alex said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社