Monday, 6 October 2008

Where ever I lay my hat...

Let’s pretend it’s Saturday. It's not a bad game to play on a Monday afternoon, as let’s face it, I think the majority of people prefer Saturdays to Mondays.
There is a reason behind the game playing by the way. For as much as I would love it to still be the weekend, I’m asking you to imagine it is, so that today’s blog entry makes sense. I meant to write on Saturday but after relaxing for one hour I went out again. So here you go, this is what I meant to type the day before yesterday…
Finally, I’m home. After 17 different trains and travelling over 4 different counties (Essex, London, Surrey and Kent, to be exact) and not sleeping in my own bed since Tuesday, I’m home. It’s good to back in familiar surroundings. The clock is ticking and chiming in the lounge, the green armchair is patiently waiting for me to sit on, and stare at the television screen or read my book. The house is filled with the sound of my mother chatting on the telephone and my father practising his saxophone. Yep, it’s good to be back.
For the past four days, my big white bag has been crammed full with soup, cereal bars, bananas, clothing and toiletries. The extra contents have been necessary to ensure I had everything I needed for three nights away from home. After the blue cheese please evening, I boarded two trains straight from the office to my friend Caron's house for a vegetable curry please evening. It was delicious. Her forthcoming wedding was discussed and I’m honoured to report that she has asked me to be her bridesmaid and assist with bridesmaid duties. I’m looking forward to next August already and playing my part in her special day. (This will be the 4th time I have been a bridesmaid, not that I’m complaining, I feel privileged to be asked.)
Following the vegetable curry please evening, I boarded three trains straight from the office to my friend Claire's corner of the map. This time I had a chicken casserole please evening, with a few glasses of white wine at her local pub. Thanks for the dinner Claire, much appreciated and very tasty. The wine was nice too, after the usual stresses of the office, incorrect advertisements, late deliveries and other problems.
I awoke on Saturday in Claire’s bedroom and I wasn’t quite sure where I was when I first opened my eyes, but my memory soon came flooding back. And then I remembered that I needed to get out of bed, get ready as fast as possible, and board another 3 trains to meet my friend Chamelle for lunch. I had a few delays on the trains (thanks public transport) so I was a tiny bit late meeting my friend and her daughter. We headed straight to TGI Fridays where I ordered chicken pasta and a tomato and mozzarella salad. Once fed, the three of us walked around Ikea, moaning that we had eaten too much and questioning if it was too early to be selling Christmas decorations. I think it is, but then again I've already bought a few Christmas presents, so who am I to complain it's too early. Chamelle bought some bits for her home and then, finally, after my enjoyable lunch date and shopping trip, I headed back to my home...
I had all good intentions to stay in, write my blog and sleep in my own bed again, but I received a text message from another friend inviting me out for a drink. After debating whether to go out for, hmmm, about two seconds, I decided to say yes. I ended up staying at my friends house for two nights, eating, drinking and watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Tonight, I promise myself faithfully that I will go home and stay home, oh after my photography club. After the photography club meeting I need to be reunited with my own bed once again. I hope it remembers who I am, it's been a while. Although I must admit, it's been fun.

Picture of the day:

The butterfly, on his way home.

10 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

Sounds like you need another Saturday to recover from your travels! I like the idea of pretending Monday is Saturday. One problem - I wouldn't get out of bed in time to begin the day.

Blur Ting said...

You sure have lots of friends!! I wish my life was as carefree as yours though. Ah, but my time will come..when I retire. I hope to read more about your little getaways in future!

suchthings.ca said...

Those visits sound so lovely. I feel like I shared in your adventures too! The food all sounded so delicious.
Mary:)

jyankee said...

Wow lots of friends in lots of different places! Cool...

The World According To Me said...

Hi Leigh

I think I need some quiet time now. Although I shouldn't complain as I've been lucky with the invites and the home-made dinners!

Arr getting out of bed. That has always been one of my major problems!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

I am lucky with my wide circle of friends, although they're dotted all over the place now, so it can take a while to get to some of them!

I wish you some carefree days soon! They're good for the soul!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Mary

The food was all appreciated and all delicious! I need some quiet evening in though!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Yep, I've certainly been about recently!

Krystle said...

It's great to have many friends living in different places - you get to go out to different places all the time:) Although it must be really tiring to travel all the time to visit, and it might be difficult to meet as frequently as you wish at times..but the home made dinners make up for it :)

The World According To Me said...

Hello Krystle

It's been great seeing everyone and nice to have a change of scenery, but as you say, it can be tiring travelling all over the place.

Tonight, for the first time in over a week, I am staying indoors in my own house! I'm going to watch The Restaurant on television, continue with the scrap book photo album and treat myself to an early night. Bliss!

Enjoy your evening!