Sunday, 26 October 2008

My friend's wedding

Sometimes you meet somebody and you know almost instantly that you will become close friends. Have you ever felt like that? That's how I felt when I met my friend Annie. We met in a pub and we were introduced to each other through my ex boyfriend Martin. I was immediately attracted to her warm, genuine smile and her bubbly personality. Before long we'd exchanged telephone numbers and I was spending more time with her than my boyfriend. Sorry Martin! But that's another story, maybe I'll tell you about him one day, but for now this is the story of Annie and I.
For sixteen years we've shared laughter, tears and wine bottles. We've been on many holidays together, one where we accidentally returned to the hotel in a police car. We've seen the new year in together at many new years eve parties, one was spent in a tyre shop. We've been to countless other parties together, one of them we sat the majority of the night in a shoe cupboard. It was a very big shoe cupboard, someone else joined us and and various other people were searching for us for a very long time.
Annie has been there for me when I sprained my ankle, again, and she whisked me off to the hospital, again. (There was a stage in my life where I was repeatedly having accidents concerning my feet and ankles and it seemed I was permanently attached to a pair of crutches.) She's shared my triumphs and my failures and many other things in between. And now she is married.
Saturday was Annie's wedding day and what a spectacular day. It was held in a magnificent Abbey, with a roaring log fire, a quartet playing in the grand hall and a live band singing and playing instruments in the evening. The food was an excellent standard, all the tables were named after cheeses and the wedding cake was made from a selection of cheeses. (You may know by now that I like cheese, well Annie's dad likes it so much that he's written a published book about cheese.) The speeches were a mixture of sentiments and laughter. Her wedding dress was stunning and the happy couple have never looked happier.
I truly believe that she has met her perfect match and I know her husband will love her and look after as she deserves to be. What more could a girl want?
Apart from a huge plate of very strong cheese.

Pictures of the day:

Outside the venue.


Inside the venue.


The wedding quartet.


Meal time.


Cutting the cake.


The dessert.


Me.

12 comments:

La Delirante said...

I love your dress :)

Yes, I have felt like that before, you know, that you meet someone and you immediately feel that you will be close friends :)

You went back to you hotel in a police car accidently? Tell us more :)

Eryl Shields said...

I have learned to view my instant attractions as warning signs. I am invariably attracted to the damaged and therefore damaging, and have come a cropper on more than one occasion. But I'm glad it worked for you.

Love your dress, that colour really suits you.

Amel's Realm said...

CONGRATS on Annie's wedding! The venue looks SO beautiful and I LOVE all the pics!!! You look gorgeous as usual. ;-D

I also agree with la delirante. I'm SO curious about how you ended up being in a police car?!?!?!?!?! HE HE HE HE HE...

Blur Ting said...

That's so nice, to see your dearest friend get married to a nice man. And yes, that gown you're wearing is lovely!

The World According To Me said...

Hello La Delirante

How are you?

Thanks for the dress compliment.

As for the police car, hmmm. I'm embarrassed to admit that we left a bar and mistook the police car for a taxi! We actually got in the back and said, "Hotel Athena please!" We then questioned why there were two cab drivers. They were police men! But they very kindly took us safely back to the hotel!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

How are you today?

Arr, damaged goods. Or damaging goods. That's my problem with men! I'd like to think I have chosen my friends wisely. As for men, that is another matter entirely.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Amel! Nice of you to say so. I've put on a little bit of weight, again, recently but luckily the dress disguised it!

Nice holiday? Must pay you a visit today.

See my reply to La Delirante re the police car!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

It really was a special day, everything flowed and everything was perfect. And I'm over the moon that she's met her Mr Right,

Amel's Realm said...

BWA HA HA HA HA...so that's the story about the police car, eh? Well, at least they were really nice to drop you off at the hotel!!!

Gained a little bit of weight? It doesn't matter since you're always so cute! ;-D

Nick Phillips said...

Congrats to Annie :D And the green of your dress is my current favourite colour :D

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

It was nice of the police officers to oblige! And it saved us some money!

I'm afraid I have gained a few pounds and don't feel very cute! But I'm trying to shift it, especially as I could be going bridesmaid fitting soon! Maybe that's the push I needed!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick and the congratulations is appreciated!

Good choice with your current favourite colour. Will it be changing again soon?